*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Conrod's new Sundowner

This forum can be used to update other members on your progress with your Transit.

Conrod's new Sundowner

Postby conrod » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:53 pm

Thought I should start a proper thread for this. Unlike in the movies, the credits will come first here, so a huge thank you to Dodgerover for notifying me of the van for sale in the first place, and also a big thanks to Liam who was selling the van, a great guy to deal with all the way through. :)

To those who are not familiar with the Transit Sundowner, Ford Australia built these in 1978 and 1979, and only made 140 of them. They were all fitted with Ford's new 4.1 crossflow 6 cylinder, lifted from the XC Falcon, with either a 3 speed manual or 3 speed auto bolted behind. The engine was a low comp. version, with 114hp and 200 ft.lbs, so not exactly a rocket, but still a big step up from the 2.0 Pinto with its 78hp and 109 ft.lbs. A BW78 type rear axle was fitted (same as the Falcon) with a 3.9 ratio. Stripes, "captains chairs" seats with swivelling bases, white 8 spoke wheels, truck style mirrors and full length headlining were some of the features which made it different to the regular Transits of the day.

I have been looking for one of these for a several years now,they are getting very hard to find as you can imagine, I think maybe 10-20 would remain? After paying for it, and nearly a month of waiting for a suitable sailing , it is finally about to leave Australia, bound for NZ :)

Yesterday, loaded up ready to leave for the port:

And today, sitting at the port waiting to be loaded up. The old boy is sitting quietly in the corner down at the Rack and Pinion, away from the new flash harrys, having a quiet pint of beer and contemplating the big voyage ahead 8-)

the ship sails on Sunday, and is due here on August 12th, looking forward to seeing it after what seems like ages:)
Last edited by conrod on Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
conrod
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Re: Conrod's new Sundowner

Postby Altransit » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:00 pm

We can't wait either 8) 8) :D :mrgreen:
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby RustWidow » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:54 am

Oh brilliant! I'm sure he will be loved and looked after :)
Old Fords Never Die - some fool keeps repairing them
RustWidow
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby limitedblack » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:42 pm

Glad to see it going to the right person.
Happy Easter
limitedblack
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby conrod » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:50 am

I ordered some ARB's from K-Mac in Australia (they call them sway bars over there!) and they turned up yesterday. Bars look nice, and a quick trial fit on my other Mk2 suggests fit is good. Axle mounting brackets look okay, but the chassis mounts are rather crude, so I will make something a bit nicer once the van turns up.

Conrad

conrod
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby derv23 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:42 pm

Ooo very nice. Would love to see more pic's 8)
MK5 Tourneo.
derv23
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Darren.w » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:09 am

Looking good. Looking forward to seeing more pictures
Darren.w
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby conrod » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:24 am

Van FINALLY arrived on Tuesday, and I took it straight into the compliance centre to get its checks done before I can register it on the road here. I have a long list of things to fix on it, rust repairs, the floor is badly cracked where the drivers seat is bolted down, as well as the usual like lights,tyres, brakes, LPG cert etc.Anyway, I am keen so will rip into it straight away. A few pics I just took this morning:

seats need recovering, I have found a place in OZ that has reproduced the original material and they will make a new set of covers for me:

The Aussie 6 cylinder Transits had the Borg Warner 78 rear axle from the Falcon fitted, this allowed a much better choice of ratios, as well as LSD. Originally fitted with a 3.89, previous owner has fitted a 2.77.(as well as 5 speed overdrive box) It feels a bit tall to me, so I will swap it for a 3.23 or 3.45 (with LSD)

Tail light lenses really faded!

"Sunraysia" 8 spoke steel wheels fitted as standard (5) I will get these repainted and I have some nice new rubber to go on:

And the 4.1 litre crossflow six, it hauls along quite well, much better than a 2.0 Pinto :)
conrod
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Altransit » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:14 am

conrod wrote: And the 4.1 litre crossflow six, it hauls along quite well, much better than a 2.0 Pinto :)

That's surprising :P :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :lol:
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby mljose » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:30 am

Very nice, and it seems to be in very good condition (other than the problems you mentioned) i have a similar one except its a LWB 1982. It is complianced as a "kombi" has the captains chars etc, and is fitted with swaybars, i dont know if its all original or has had these parts added at a later date, does yours have an automatic step that comes out when the side door is opened?
mljose

Postby conrod » Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:57 pm

mljose wrote:Very nice, and it seems to be in very good condition (other than the problems you mentioned) i have a similar one except its a LWB 1982. It is complianced as a "kombi" has the captains chars etc, and is fitted with swaybars, i dont know if its all original or has had these parts added at a later date, does yours have an automatic step that comes out when the side door is opened?

Where are you? Factory fitted "swaybars" were very rare, but were available. Can you post a pic of yours? I have seen the automatic step, a friend of mine has a minbus with that. Has an elaborate linkage system underneath that extends and retracts the step as the door is opened and closed :) Does yours have the same seats as mine? Post a few pics, that would be good. I have seen pics of the "XLT" van which had the rubber bumpers, same truck style mirrors, same wheels.Is this what you have? Would like to know more about those. Pic of one below, I think I found it on this website.

Conrad

conrod
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby mljose » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:46 pm

Ok, lets see if i can get this photobucket thing to work:

Van has truck mirrors, side step, captains chairs, dual petrol tanks (aftermarket) and a magazine holder in the door. swaybars are either a half arsed factory job (chassis brackets are angle iron) or aftermarket, it has a 5 speed gearbox that is an aftermarket job. all additions seem to date way back to the 80's judging by the covering of road muck.

http://s1372.photobucket.com/user/michael_jose1/media/DSCF3115_zps6933f07a.jpg.html
http://s1372.photobucket.com/user/michael_jose1/media/DSCF3116_zps0413f1d3.jpg.html
http://s1372.photobucket.com/user/michael_jose1/media/DSCF3117_zps0beafb7d.jpg.html
http://s1372.photobucket.com/user/michael_jose1/media/DSCF3118_zps0e37ef7b.jpg.html

on, wheels were standard Mk2 wheels - i put the MK1 wheels on there while painting them and fitting tyres.
mljose

Postby conrod » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:03 am

I think that is what was called the "XLT" pack in Australia? Same "saddle" trim as mine, as well as mirrors. The K Mac swaybars I just bought have angle iron chassis brackets too, those bits will be going in the bin! Those look like the same swivel bases as mine- they are made by an American company called Bostrum, and were very popular with vanners back in the 1970's, apparently! (I was too young to remember!)
conrod
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Neil » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:44 am

mag rack in the door 8)
Neil v6
Neil
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby karl » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:09 am

karl
Tranny Lover!!!

Next

Return to Members Transit's - Progress Reports!