*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

My mk6 transit with a lot of mods!

This forum can be used to update other members on your progress with your Transit.

Re: My mk6 transit with a lot of mods!

Postby Trannygrandad » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:19 pm

xr4i_guy wrote:Image
today I put some carpet on the pillar pod done the other pillar as well going to do the roof lining when I order more carpet so it all matches.

Yes your right Jay, I did fit them with the mk6 dash in but the gearstick on the floor was basically in between the passenger in the middle seat legs! so mk7 dash is a most if anyone is planning on trying this! Also had to move the handbrake forward as there is no room between the seats.

So how did you go about linking the mk7 dash mounted gear shift to the gearbox?
My MK 6, LWB Hi top bus gear lever seems to go directly into the gearbox, or am I making an erroneous assumption?
Don,with fond (&other) memories of Transits from 1st pickup wayback when there were no motorways
Fave '73 with 3lt V6 , overdrive & sawn off Luton & 16ft box trailer,oh & twin fuel tanks. Exeter to Scotland return trip without refuelling,
Trannygrandad
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby ake » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:49 pm

Trannygrandad wrote:
xr4i_guy wrote:Image
today I put some carpet on the pillar pod done the other pillar as well going to do the roof lining when I order more carpet so it all matches.

Yes your right Jay, I did fit them with the mk6 dash in but the gearstick on the floor was basically in between the passenger in the middle seat legs! so mk7 dash is a most if anyone is planning on trying this! Also had to move the handbrake forward as there is no room between the seats.

My MK 6, LWB Hi top bus gear lever seems to go directly into the gearbox, or am I making an erroneous assumption?

You'd have to change the gear box selector assembly to the cable operated one from a mk 7
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby Trannygrandad » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:51 pm

My MK 6, LWB Hi top bus gear lever seems to go directly into the gearbox, or am I making an erroneous assumption?[/quote]
You'd have to change the gear box selector assembly to the cable operated one from a mk 7[/quote]

Thanks for the reply ake,
is the cable system better than the mk6 direct box fitting?
Only ask as being disabled I dont exit the cab by the drivers door, but pass between the drivers & a single Pass. seat & the gear lever is an obstacle, was thinking of cutting the gear lever off at floor lever & welding in a U shape to give my feet more clearance,
probably be easier than fitting as mk 7 dash, what do you think
Don,with fond (&other) memories of Transits from 1st pickup wayback when there were no motorways
Fave '73 with 3lt V6 , overdrive & sawn off Luton & 16ft box trailer,oh & twin fuel tanks. Exeter to Scotland return trip without refuelling,
Trannygrandad
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby RussRST » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:13 pm

Hi, i love what you have done by fitting the three Recaro front seats. This is something i want to do, however... I cant for the life of me work out how you have made the passenger seats fit. I measured the width of my drivers seat and that comes out at 55cms. I'm presuming the Recaros might be wider with bigger bolsters? But when i measure the space between the hand brake and the widest point i only have about 90cms. I can see a custom frame would be needed which isnt a big deal. I just cant see how there is space for 2 passenger seats. What am i missing?
RussRST
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby xr4i_guy » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:35 pm

It really depends on the seats these were fairly slim recaros needed to make up a custom seat frame and move the handbrake forward as all 3 seats touched each other and passenger seat was tight to the door aswell. I kept drivers seat in original position.

Leon
xr4i_guy
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Previous

Return to Members Transit's - Progress Reports!