*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk2 Transit 190 LWB

This forum can be used to update other members on your progress with your Transit.

Re: Mk2 Transit 190 LWB

Postby PIO » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:17 pm

Only had the phone on me, but got off all the running gear I wanted,,,

Bought this lately from a 115PS Engine...It took a while to find it..

PIO
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby irishtransit » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:44 pm

Ya dont do things by half.
irishtransit
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby PIO » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:56 pm

No point in looking at it, as they saw....

Today was the easy bit, IFS Conversion next...
PIO
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby PIO » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:39 pm

Grand dry day today (Most of it anyway), so made a burst getting ready for my IFS Swop. Been reading a few threads on this so decided that I would make up a jig on both sides to hold the top in the correct camber and castor position in relation to the subframe. I also ran some box iron between the strut tops as a 'belt n braces' jobs.

Chopped the Transmission tunnel as I'll be using the Mk5 Rubber mat.

PIO
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Luke » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:02 pm

brings back memories :lol:

looking good so far 8)
Luke
Site Admin

Postby karl » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:40 am

8)
karl
Tranny Lover!!!

Postby PIO » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:19 am

Thanks Luke,

Having read through a few threads, I see some people use the existing holes in the front spring hanger to mount/locate the subframe. I see that can have the front wheels slightly forward in the arch, but then that keeps the steering knuckle angle more like it was in the Mk5. I was thinking of centralising the wheel (Re-drilling the front spring hanger) and then if necessary spacing the rack away from the subframe as I'm sure I read in a thread that the steering knuckle is at its maximum otherwise and can lead to a slightly notchy steering feel...

Myself and a buddy are taking a week off work shortly and hoping to wipe out the IFS & Turbo DI swop, so just trying to have as much homework/prep done as possible.

Thanks
PIO
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Luke » Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:20 pm

i would reccomend drilling the front hanger back - the uj was notchy on mine but if you grind the bit where it touches it gets rid of the notchyness - it does sound a bit dangerous but its not - you hardly have to take anything off - its just smoothing the corner of the metal (i used a sanding disk)- mine is fine now, it took me a while to realise thats what was causing it as its so slight :D
Luke
Site Admin

Postby PIO » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:02 pm

Sound for that Luke, out if curiosity, any recollection how far back from the original hole did you drill the new holes?
PIO
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Luke » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:23 pm

if i'd read the post earlier i could have measured mine - i can't remember about 50-60mm ???? i just measured until the hub was in the centre of the arch :D
Luke
Site Admin

Postby PIO » Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:04 pm

Today was all about collecting parts and starting to get them ready prior to fitment. The plan so far is to take 4 days off work with my buddy and hope to emerge on the other side with a rolling Mk2 with Mk5 running gear....

The axle in front is a spare Mk2 Axle and the axle behind is my new axle off the Mk5. Approx 4" wider from the outside of tyre so this should fill the enormous wheel arches that I have...Must move spring saddles first....

Took off the Epic Pump and clutch. Must pick up a few belts, water pump and clutch before I fit the Bosch 145 Pump

PIO
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby PIO » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:05 pm

Swopped over to a manual pump today, Bosch 145. Changed over inlet manifold and rocker cover from a posy 97 engine as I want to run a standard intercooler / pipes from a Mk5 Transit.

Bit of a hybrid job on the fuel filter as well but all good.... New Water Pump and belt as well... Dumped the EGR as well...

This is my first time doing a Diesel Conversion so must get my head around advancing the pump ect...Been reading about using a dial test indicator and setting the pump to .68mm plunger lift at tdc in the crankshaft....

Started cleaning up the IFS as well

Ran out of time in making a little jig for fitting the Mk5 Axle. Need to move the spring saddles closer to the pigs head by 50mm. I'm no fabricator, but this simple little jig should work fine for me...

PIO
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby PIO » Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:12 pm

I had planned on just timing up the pump as standard and then play with it once it was fitted, but as I can't fit the engine for another two weeks, I decided I would try to time it more accurately prior to fitment. After reading through several posts here, I found the link to advancing the timing from Dieselhead - Thanks a Mil.

I borrowed a DTI and away I went, after some head scratching, I reckon all is good.

So that's what 0.68mm looks like ha ha...
PIO
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby PIO » Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:34 pm

As for adjusting the fuelling, based on various threads that I have read...

Should I turn the mid range screw by 2 turns (Top of pump - is that 2 additional turns) viewtopic.php?f=18&t=3968

Max Fuel screw (Back of pump) by 4 more turns... or is it 4 turns in total... as a base starting point...

I have read that max fuel needs to be increased to the point that under acceleration, there is just a slight smoke haze....then adjust the torque top 'mid range adjuster' until you get the same.....

Then slacken off the idle once it runs...

Thanks

Just trying to get as much done while the engine is sitting on my floor...

Ps. Got the a NOS style metal timing belt tensioner for new, presume they are still ok to run...
PIO
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby PIO » Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:40 pm

Been trying to find more info on the Pump Governor Mod, but unable to find it, any info on this would be great...

The fact it's a big van and will be doing lots of towing, I'm trying to make it 'hill-friendly'...
PIO
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Members Transit's - Progress Reports!