*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

MK7 SWB 4 BERTH CAMPER CONVERSION PROJECT

This forum can be used to update other members on your progress with your Transit.

Re: MK7 SWB 4 BERTH CAMPER CONVERSION PROJECT

Postby car13 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:45 pm

Looks good, quick question on insulation did you use same on floor as on sides roof?
www.vulcanracing.co.uk
Race, Rally, Track support & Service
MGCC Champions 2010
car13
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby HarrytheSaladdodger » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:58 pm

car13 wrote:Looks good, quick question on insulation did you use same on floor as on sides roof?

hi, yeah, I read up on loads of sites everyone of them contradicted each-other regarding foam/wool/foil/fibreglass and polystyrene. Obviously I went with foam... but in the end I had to buy 2x rolls (16m total) of insulation to do everywhere in a swb so quite expensive, but warm 8) and quiet
Campers: Nature's way of feeding mosquitoes
HarrytheSaladdodger
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby car13 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:14 am

Thanks, it looks good and as you mention so many ways mentioned on web. Who's product did you use?
www.vulcanracing.co.uk
MGCC Champions 2010
car13
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby HarrytheSaladdodger » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:27 am

car13 wrote:Thanks, it looks good and as you mention so many ways mentioned on web. Who's product did you use?

The seller has updated his stock and no longer sells the exact product ... the new foam he sells is the same thickness but with self adhesive backing and its 1m width (mine was 80cm,so that will save you £££'s the item number is https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221655480895&seller=&toolid=10018&58170073" rel="nofollow">https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221655480895 (ebay) the only problem you might have is you wont be able to slide it in across the metal as easily as the spray glue (but that's not going to make a massive difference)
HarrytheSaladdodger
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby HarrytheSaladdodger » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:34 am

transitandy wrote:Nice work m8y :)

tyvm m8 :D
HarrytheSaladdodger
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby car13 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:04 am

HarrytheSaladdodger wrote:
car13 wrote:Thanks, it looks good and as you mention so many ways mentioned on web. Who's product did you use?

The seller has updated his stock and no longer sells the exact product ... the new foam he sells is the same thickness but with self adhesive backing and its 1m width (mine was 80cm,so that will save you £££'s the item number is https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221655480895&seller=&toolid=10018&58170073" rel="nofollow">https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221655480895 (ebay) the only problem you might have is you wont be able to slide it in across the metal as easily as the spray glue (but that's not going to make a massive difference)

Thanks
www.vulcanracing.co.uk
MGCC Champions 2010
car13
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby dirtydog » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:08 am

dirtydog wrote:That looks like a mondeo rear interior light

yeah i think your right, I'm told its from a ford focus ghia mk1/ mondeo mk3, well that's what the description on ebay was lol . I seen a set of 4 lights 2x vanity,1x front and 1x rear for less than a tenner delivered so decided they were the ones for me lol ... the front light unit is useless though as I cant seem to figure out how to fit it to my cab roof (must need a back bracket or something), just another thing to sell on ebay when I'm all done I suppose, if I cant fit it in ,that is :D

The front one should be a straight swap for the one you've already fitted.

I've got mondeo vanity lights in my van as well
image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2006 Mk7 115 350 lwb, med high top
2006 Mk7 110 350 lwb, high top camper
dirtydog
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby HarrytheSaladdodger » Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:03 pm

dirtydog wrote:
dirtydog wrote:That looks like a mondeo rear interior light

yeah i think your right, I'm told its from a ford focus ghia mk1/ mondeo mk3, well that's what the description on <a href="http://ebay.co.uk" class="skimwords-link" target="_blank" data-skimwords-id="874161" data-skimlinks-editor="0" data-skimwords-word="ebay" data-group-id="0" data-skim-creative="300001" data-skim-product="874161" title="" occurrence="1" data-skim-node-id="504:yeahithinkyourright,_1">ebay</a><span style="position: absolute;"></span><span style="position: absolute;"></span> was lol . I seen a set of 4 lights 2x vanity,1x front and 1x rear for less than a tenner delivered so decided they were the ones for me lol ... the front light unit is useless though as I cant seem to figure out how to fit it to my cab roof (must need a back bracket or something), just another thing to sell on <span class="skimwords-potential">ebay</span><span style="position: absolute;"></span><span style="position: absolute;"></span> when I'm all done I suppose, if I cant fit it in ,that is :D

The front one should be a straight swap for the one you've already fitted.

I've got mondeo vanity lights in my van as well
<span class="skimlinks-unlinked">image.jpg</span>

hi m8 yes it was a straight swap tyvm even more light now :D

fitted the vanity lights in rear load area they look great and they cast the light down and out rather than dispersing it over the roof... just need to find some brighter bulbs for everything now

I'm going to rivet them on though instead of screwing them ,just wanted to get them up and try it out... so the lugs would clip into place i had to drill out the corresponding holes

heres the finished thing, they fit snugly to the roof so no more banging my head :lol: :lol:

I'm hoping to source two extra door pockets also , that MOD looks mint and will also come in handy when we go gallivanting :P hopefully there's a rear view mirror and a better rear rubber seal at the scrappy also
HarrytheSaladdodger
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby HarrytheSaladdodger » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:32 pm

Went to scrappy found a new gear stick knob and chrome look handles out of a focus, it's surprising how much they tart it up :D

also decided to give the van a service ... following the directions in the Hayes manual lie book proceeded to change the air filter, that went ok... Then the fuel filter, NOT OK, now the bloody thing wont start up NOT HAPPY :evil: ...So after a quick phone-call to a friend it turns out you have to fill the new fuel filter with fuel then attach it ... ...now I didn't know this that's why I bought the bloody Hayes manual in the first place , to tell me these thing (as I'm told simple thing) So now I'm left with a dead battery and no option but to sweet-talk our lass to get me some diesel so I can fill the new filter

Hayes manual instructions , please let me know if I've been dopey and missed something out

HarrytheSaladdodger
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby HarrytheSaladdodger » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:29 pm

FIXED :D :D :D :D filled the filter up with diesel and it started on the second turn... too dark to do the oil now but it'll give me something to mess up tomorrow... hopefully I wont make another schoolboy error :oops:
HarrytheSaladdodger
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby BabyDontYurtMe » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:12 pm

Really nice build going, love the insulation + carpet.
Could I be a cheeky so and so and ask a rough cost of how much you spent on the two? I see the insulation is fairly expensive... I will be getting rid of the van I am using for my trip as soon as I get there so I dont really want to spend £££ if I can get away with just blankets and jumpers.
Completed the Mongolia Charity Rally 2015 with a beautiful Mk6 LWB high roof Transit.
We loved it so much, we have just purchased a Mk7 LWB high roof Transit to do some staycationing!
BabyDontYurtMe
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby HarrytheSaladdodger » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:44 pm

BabyDontYurtMe wrote:Really nice build going, love the insulation + carpet.
Could I be a cheeky so and so and ask a rough cost of how much you spent on the two? I see the insulation is fairly expensive... I will be getting rid of the van I am using for my trip as soon as I get there so I dont really want to spend £££ if I can get away with just blankets and jumpers.

thanks m8, shy kids get nowhere lol,... the carpet was £120 with spray glue and the insulation was £160 + all the time/mess on doing it... if I were you I wouldn't bother doing either, as long as you didn't need if for longer than say a week , any longer and I'd be sick to death of waking up damp, just set up a small pop up tent inside the van every night (£30 from ebay) ... I've seen ppl using dust sheets and just hanging them like a tent inside the van so you cant touch the exposed metal ( a quick fix)... or if you wanted more comfort you can just spray glue some carpet straight to the bodywork and use a high tog quilt/ sleeping bag, that's all my friend has done and he goes out all year round with his van with no bother, just remember anywhere any exposed metal is you'll have condensation there in the morning ... hope this helps m8 :D
HarrytheSaladdodger
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby HarrytheSaladdodger » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:34 pm

Fitted the new swivel base today I got off ebay item no. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301502475430 I suppose it's ok :? but I honestly thought it would be more professional and be a smoother operation ,especially after paying £250 for it ... basically the centre hole for the seat and body was drilled slightly off and had to enlarge it and you don't get locking nuts supplied with it... BUT its a must have for my camper/day van to work ,how I want it ...

also it's not easy to turn the seat around and fix back into place :twisted: first attempt took me 10 mins , second attempt was about 5 mins, so that could just be me being a douche :lol: :lol: :lol:

Started by removing the side passenger foot-well plastic and the seat ,you dont have to remove the plastic but I thought I'd better check out the metalwork before it was too late (pleased I did lol) as you can see it looked pretty bad , so cleaned it up a little

then after it was dry and cut the interior matting away painted over the rust with some Vatican ... I'm not sure but it think that wire you can see is for factory heated seats???

forgot to take a picture of the base bolted in,without seat :roll: so this is probably the best photo I've got to showing it,at a later date I'll remove the seat and cut the protruding edges away and spray the leg's/plates

here's it all fitted in place ... my idea is that I'll have a table in-between both the front and back seats creating a large enough area to eat comfortably Image

as usual one of the 5 bolts securing the seat felt like it was welded ,so had to use the scaffy bar trick on that one :D ...It didn't take the estimated 30 mins to fit due to having to apply the Vatican ,clean up ,drill the centre hole on baseplate hunt around for locking washers altogether it took a over 2 hrs ...
HarrytheSaladdodger
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby ake » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:15 am

Yes that looks like heated seat cable.
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby HarrytheSaladdodger » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:36 am

ake wrote:Yes that looks like heated seat cable.

thanks ake ,I've been looking for them for ages no wonder I couldn't find then lol... but now I've found them don't think I'll be needing them due to wiring the heated seats to my leisure battery??? maybe ...

Anyways finally got a start on the electrics and the kitchen pod (done in the dining room due to me being a cold-ass :D )

I've chose not to put the hookup connection under the bonnet or van ,as I know I'll end up driving off with it connected :lol: :lol: the wire you can see is the smart relay connection , the top air vent is the inlet for the inverter and the bottom is the outlet for the battery charger

the top vent is the outlet for the inverter, next to that is the battery condition/usage display then the switches for most of the 12v gear with battery condition display above is the pole for the table to clip onto

overhead view of the birds nest :D I'll be tidying that up when the kitchen pod is in the van

the socket on this end is the first one in the radial

I'm not cutting the other door out till I have all the bits , I've already cut the worktop for it but leaving it off until i get the pennies for the hob/sink (smev9222?) also waiting for the correct hinges :roll: and pop up kitchen sockets ... my next job is to get it through its mot :( lol not looking forward to that ...hopefully I will be to round the edges off and fit the pod into the van before its due though
HarrytheSaladdodger
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Members Transit's - Progress Reports!