*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

MK7 SWB 4 BERTH CAMPER CONVERSION PROJECT

This forum can be used to update other members on your progress with your Transit.

Re: MK7 SWB 4 BERTH CAMPER CONVERSION PROJECT

Postby ake » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:51 pm

daryl.ross.524 wrote:Image eImage

Hi guys. Sorry for the wait but here is the reverse camera at day and night. Not bad considering the amount it cost. 180 all in. Keep up the good work!!

The drivers side heated seat cable is in the seat base, and the handbrake switch is connected to it as well. Same colour of plug ;)

Tidy work on the interior and wiring :D
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby HarrytheSaladdodger » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:42 pm

thanks daryl.ross524 was wondering what the quality was going to be like, much better than I thought it would have been given the cost :D

@ake thanks m8

Could someone please clear something up about the consumer (fuse board) earth??? is it right that the main earth wire from the consumer unit wires into the inlet of the blue 240v socket as well as the blue arctic wire earth or... does the earth wire into somewhere on the body of the van .... or does it go to the negative on battery??? I've had 4 people telling me different things and to be quite honest its confusing me now :? I'm not even going to tell you what the fourth guy told me , or what I told him either :lol: :lol: :lol:
Campers: Nature's way of feeding mosquitoes
HarrytheSaladdodger
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby RustWidow » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:53 pm

Nice work harry
Old Fords Never Die - some fool keeps repairing them
RustWidow
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby HarrytheSaladdodger » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:27 pm

daryl.ross.524 wrote:In my opinion as a newly qualified electrician, the earth should go in its standard terminal on its own. Am i right in thinking when the 230v blue plug is plugged in, that then goes in to the fuse board which feeds your appliances? The van battery is only 12v and should not be in anyway linked with the 230v. When your plugged in you should be earthed by the plug back to there distribution board Protecting you and your appliances.

hi m8 ,yeah the only thing that links the the 230v power and the 12v is the battery charger + & - ... I was going to connect the consumer unit earth up to the body of the van,just to make sure it was totally safe, but when I have 4 people telling me different things I started to flap lol
HarrytheSaladdodger
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby HarrytheSaladdodger » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:28 pm

RustWidow wrote:Nice work harry

thanks m8
HarrytheSaladdodger
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby HarrytheSaladdodger » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:59 pm

I bought the 230v electric pre-wired from a auto electrician seller on ebay so it should have been straight forward... it was until people told me different things... honestly thought that it would have come with no earth wire coming out of the fuse board as the site feed should be earthed (like you said) , but as you can see it has a main earth so that's why I was going to earth it onto a unpainted area on the van ... another thing which is confusing me, is that the neutral from the leisure battery goes to the van body so if I connect them both to the van body surely it's going to be the same as connecting the earth straight to the battery :evil: :evil: :evil: I'm on the verge of just taking it to a auto electricians lol

HarrytheSaladdodger
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby HarrytheSaladdodger » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:23 pm

just found the wiring diagrams for the 12v +230v as you can see it says "to van earth" but (i know I'm probably over-thinking this) does this literally mean earth to the van or find a earth point on the van ... anyways these wiring diagram might help someone out in the future

HarrytheSaladdodger
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby HarrytheSaladdodger » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:43 pm

thanks for your help m8 ,I'm just going to go ahead and earth it to the body of my van ,and the negative from the leisure battery near the earthing point ... if anyone knows for definite either way that I'm doing it right or wrong please let me know
HarrytheSaladdodger
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby ake » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:51 pm

HarrytheSaladdodger wrote:thanks for your help m8 ,I'm just going to go ahead and earth it to the body of my van ,and the negative from the leisure battery near the earthing point ... if anyone knows for definite either way that I'm doing it right or wrong please let me know

Yes the 230v system must have an earth connection to the van, it's to protect you, in the event of a damaged mains connection touching the van body and making it live, the earth connection provides a return path, which in turn allows the circuit breakers to operate and disconnect the supply.

The leisure battery will not be affected in any way, but good practice says that you make the two connections seperately.

I am an approved electrician, and worked as an auto spark as well a few years ago :)
ake
Site Moderator

Postby HarrytheSaladdodger » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:18 pm

ake wrote:
HarrytheSaladdodger wrote:thanks for your help m8 ,I'm just going to go ahead and earth it to the body of my van ,and the negative from the leisure battery near the earthing point ... if anyone knows for definite either way that I'm doing it right or wrong please let me know

Yes the 230v system must have an earth connection to the van, it's to protect you, in the event of a damaged mains connection touching the van body and making it live, the earth connection provides a return path, which in turn allows the circuit breakers to operate and disconnect the supply.

The leisure battery will not be affected in any way, but good practice says that you make the two connections seperately.

I am an approved electrician, and worked as an auto spark as well a few years ago :)

Thanks ake you've put my mind at ease :D

daryl.ross.524 wrote:Thanks for that!! Always handy to learn something new. Not feeling jealous of your knowledge or outranked at the moment ;)

thanks again m8
HarrytheSaladdodger
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby ake » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:13 pm

Im here to help :)
ake
Site Moderator

Postby HarrytheSaladdodger » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:48 pm

After finding out that I wasn't insured (void),due to the windows and extra seats being fitted I decided it best to find a new insurance company as gladiator don't insure camper/day-vans ... so the conversion progress has suffered :( anyway's decided to do a few jobs that don't require much cash ...started with a rust spot in the passenger door recess , that looked OK so moved onto the passenger side sill

the end result imo doesn't look too bad ,I'm pretty happy with the results especially the sliding door internal recess

hopefully the rust wont show again as I put some of that zinc 182 (or whatever its called :roll: ) anyway I'm only really after it looking passable when I'm on my jollys . I'll start the other rust patches when I get chance , think I'm going to concentrate on the underside first though as at first glance it's got zero protection

Decided to fit xeon lights too as the original ones are pretty poor to be honest , very easy to fit when you remove the headlight unit, NOT easy when you try and do it fitted :evil: :evil: ,learning as I go can hurt sometimes ,scraped knuckles twice now during this conversion :lol:

you cant really see the difference in this photo , but they really do make a big difference when driving at night

I'm going to invest in a proper jack also , tired of it taking me 20 mins to change a wheel :evil: probably me being a douche :lol:
HarrytheSaladdodger
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby madbri » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:11 pm

HarrytheSaladdodger wrote:After finding out that I wasn't insured (void),due to the windows and extra seats being fitted I decided it best to find a new insurance company as gladiator don't insure camper/day-vans ... so the conversion progress has suffered :( anyway's decided to do a few jobs that don't require much cash ...started with a rust spot in the passenger door recess , that looked OK so moved onto the passenger side sill

the end result imo doesn't look too bad ,I'm pretty happy with the results especially the sliding door internal recess

hopefully the rust wont show again as I put some of that zinc 182 (or whatever its called :roll: ) anyway I'm only really after it looking passable when I'm on my jollys . I'll start the other rust patches when I get chance , think I'm going to concentrate on the underside first though as at first glance it's got zero protection

Decided to fit xeon lights too as the original ones are pretty poor to be honest , very easy to fit when you remove the headlight unit, NOT easy when you try and do it fitted :evil: :evil: ,learning as I go can hurt sometimes ,scraped knuckles twice now during this conversion :lol:

you cant really see the difference in this photo , but they really do make a big difference when driving at night

I'm going to invest in a proper jack also , tired of it taking me 20 mins to change a wheel :evil: probably me being a douche :lol:

best idear in the long way a decent small trollie jack
madbri
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby HarrytheSaladdodger » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:14 pm

yeah m8 was thinking a trolley jack but most of my mates are saying get a bottle jack ... the only thing is though I'm worried that a 3ton jack will be too heavy as I've gotta carry it a fair way to the shed , personally I think that bottle jacks are too unstable though :? :? :? not sure what to get
HarrytheSaladdodger
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby madbri » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:18 pm

get a small 2 ton trollie jack far safer in my opinion
madbri
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

PreviousNext

Return to Members Transit's - Progress Reports!