*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

MK7 SWB 4 BERTH CAMPER CONVERSION PROJECT

This forum can be used to update other members on your progress with your Transit.

Re: MK7 SWB 4 BERTH CAMPER CONVERSION PROJECT

Postby HarrytheSaladdodger » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:00 pm

@mike that looks cool m8,good luck with the install ... my friend has his swb laid out so when you open the side door it has the hob and wash basin straight in-front of you under the window (made out of a kitchen wall unit), a bench both sides of the van with table in middle ,this folds down to make the bed, loads of space ,very relaxing , doesn't feel like a swb at all

just a update ,got tired of waiting about for gear to arrive so decided I'd trawl ebay for items near me... ended up finding some 15mm 8x4ft board to make the cooking/storage areas at a bargain price of £30 each :D (its usually £120 each, delivered :!: ) so picked the old man up and went gallivanting. got talking to the guy who owned the place ,he's been in the business for 40 year ,great guy... anyway he told me about another guy who has new transit seats for sale ,so decided as it was on my way home to pay him a visit ABSOLUTE RESULT :D :D :D the exact double seat I wanted was there ,so at another bargain price of £100 new (with all the bolts , guard and plastic anchor point) I got it ,the cheapest I'd found up till then was USED £135+£35 delivery with nothing extra .If anyone needs a new seat just get in touch ,he has single,double and triple passenger seats , all in great condition. ... arrived home ecstatic at the days events only to find my electric's had turned up ,so opened them all up ,it was like Christmas all over again lol

Just need to start fitting them all now, but don't think I'll make much progress due to family commitments :(

I'll be fitting them here when i get chance

Xmas came early

contact information for Durham caravans if anyone needs some 15mm boards
Campers: Nature's way of feeding mosquitoes
HarrytheSaladdodger
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby HarrytheSaladdodger » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:00 pm

I always wondered how ppl stopped the wires from getting crushed ,or fed them through the standard ducts ,quite simple :idea: really ... did you manage to get some SOT leads that connect straight up to the new head unit?
HarrytheSaladdodger
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby dirtydog » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:14 pm

I'm guessing your head unit is one of the Chinese ones either xtrons or eonon? I had an xtrons one I my van and it lasted about 4 years so did pretty well for a cheap one
2006 Mk7 115 350 lwb, med high top
2006 Mk7 110 350 lwb, high top camper
dirtydog
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby dirtydog » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:19 am

My mate had one as well but his only lasted about 2.5 years before it started playing up, still not bad for the money though
dirtydog
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby HarrytheSaladdodger » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:42 pm

HAPPY NEW YEAR ...decided to fit some of my new toys that arrived over the festive period ,just a little bit done today due to being a bit tender still :D thought i could just cut the lining out in the cab area and fit the Mondeo sunglasses / light unit , but was confronted by this...

First off i thought it was a tracker but now I'm thinking its the receiver for the central locking :? anyway's it was right in the way of the sunglasses tray so that scuppered my plans... here's a pic of the marking out

so after i removed the headlining, and messing about for a hour or so , i managed to fit the unit, in the end i had to reduce the thickness of the lining where the back clips on ... then decided as it was off and too dark to refit the lining I'd cover it to match the back load area, here's the photos of before and after

@daryl + dirty dog ... the xtrons head unit was the same type (if not the same) one i was going to fit... you guys have me thinking now ... might have to sweet-talk the missus into buying me one for being a good boy :lol:
HarrytheSaladdodger
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby MinorMatt » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:46 pm

The interior light looks exactly the same as a mk1 focus one...

If it is look for a light from a focus ghia - its got indiviual lights (map reading) on each side as well as the main central one

e.g.http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Focus-MK ... 3cedef1e85
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

95 M Prototype/Mule DRW 100PS Highcube
93 L GL Minibus
96 P 150 TD 100PS LWB Hi-Top

Gaffa tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby dirtydog » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:13 pm

It is the same as a the focus interior light, I fitted one from a focus into my mondeo when I had it.
The focus ST170 light also fits but is a little different as it has the alarm ultrasonics things in it but you can remove them and fit an led in each hole if you fancy some interior running/submarine/whatever they're meant to be called lights like the newer BMWs have

Edit the later mo does and mk2 focus had the ones with submarine lights

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201252340938? ... 26_rdc%3D1

Not cheap though :shock:
dirtydog
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby HarrytheSaladdodger » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:47 pm

thanks guys ,the original transit back light does look odd ,think I'll invest in a different one for there ,also thinking about some vanity lights (not sure though)

I've now decided to make a slight change to the sunglasses / light fitting unit, I've made a small box to hold it ... this will allow me space to fit 5 switches for heated seats later on and hold the parrot mic also , unfortunately its not finished due to dropping in lucky again :D thought I'd better check my tyres etc as its due a mot , one is just above the line another is slightly cracked and my spare is none existent due to some thieving scum ... checked gumtree whilst having a brew and boom 5 wheels with new tyres £100 tyvm lol

once I've finished the lining I'll post some pics ,hopefully it wont take too long as the kids are wanting to go away in march camping so need to get moving with the actual conversion and not mods :D
HarrytheSaladdodger
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby HarrytheSaladdodger » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:41 pm

today I've only managed to attach the centre front light mod , looks a lot better than how I had it originally but I need some caps to cover the screws ,also attached the passenger handle

with the lights on

if you look where the front screws are you can see the line in the carpet ,that panel comes off so I can install switches etc at a later point
HarrytheSaladdodger
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby HarrytheSaladdodger » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:24 pm

Sick of searching for how to fit ,how to bolt seats in properly in transit vans and not finding the info I wanted, probably me just being a "douche" :oops: so bit the bullet and went down the local MOT garage and asked about the requirements ... basically as long as the area your going to bolt it too has no rust in a 30cm radius your fine, also you must fit very large washers or fit plates underneath (minimum 4mm thickness plates) I fitted a large washer and plate ,then painted it with hammerite, the seat should have plates incorporated so no need to put plates in the cab , if it's a double it needs 3 points where it goes from the floor and attaches to the seat or 2 if single... Anyway's here's a few photo's of mine fitted

you can make out the side attachment just in this photo ,but apparently you don't need it for MOT

Looking back now I should have maybe fitted bigger plates and painted a larger area around them , ah well another job on my to-do list

Hopefully I'll get the wheel arches carpeted tomorrow so I can make a start on the side panelling
HarrytheSaladdodger
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby HarrytheSaladdodger » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:47 pm

@daryl thanks m8 ... looks cool ,much better than the standard radios, and set to a good station (real isn't it?) are you doing any more mods to the van?

only managed to carpet one wheel arch today

looks good but really fiddly to get it on there right , but once i got the hang of pulling 1 side over bit by bit the opposite end flew on... anyways the side loading door is playing up now :x so decided to have a go at fixing it, basically the door only opens when it wants to, I can hear the lock trying to open so know its not broken as such ,its as if it doesn't have the power to pull the lever back (if that makes sense) if I push the door near the contacts it sometimes opens ... tried the key in the drivers door thing to reset it and took the inside panel off but tbh I'm not sure what I'm looking for :oops: I started to get a bit peeved :evil: so left it for now . back at work tomorrow :( so progress is going to slow down unfortunately ,but that'll give me chance to order more gear
HarrytheSaladdodger
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby HarrytheSaladdodger » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:55 pm

daryl.ross.524 wrote:Sorry to disappoint, im in norfolk and thats kiss radio :D i may get an electric massaging chair that runs of the 12v but other than that its a builders van really. Ill take a pic of the reversing camera on the unit for an idea on picture quality tomorrow if i remember!!

hi m8 sorry for not replying to you sooner (work and all that bla bla lol) and I guess someone's gotta listen to that :twisted: if you could post a pic of the quality that would be great ...

Anyway's finally got the roof carpeting up and the overhead storage carpeted . I'm not that pleased with it though as its not as neat as I would like it, because I carpeted straight over the foam insulation you can see the joints in the insulation (mainly when the lights are on) even though I taped every joint, its still visible :evil: The reason I never boarded the roof, was so I can stand up ,without snapping my neck lol

With the overhead storage area I've added two lengths of wood top and bottom to attach the fascia board/door at a later date

here's some photos of my progress ...

before

after (sorry about the pic quality)

wood screwed in ready to be carpeted...the bottom length is 1x2/3in and the top lenght is 2x1 in

the vanity lights will replace these 2... hopefully tomorrow

thanks to minormatt and dirtydog I found some lights to add to the front lining . I'm thinking use the 2 vanity lights for the rear load area though,not fitted yet though I've been figuring out how to mount them in the roof braces/struts (whatever you call them lol)

Looks loads better than before...

hopefully I'll update the thread tomorrow with more progress but tbh I'm running out of jobs I can do till my m8 helps with the cupboards , If I attempt to do them myself I think they'll look atrocious :lol: :lol: :lol:
HarrytheSaladdodger
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby dirtydog » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:46 pm

That looks like a mondeo rear interior light
dirtydog
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby transitandy » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:18 pm

Nice work m8y :)
TRANSIT M8, SAY NO MORE YOUR IN...... FORD THROUGH TO THE BONE......
transitandy
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby HarrytheSaladdodger » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:29 pm

dirtydog wrote:That looks like a mondeo rear interior light

yeah i think your right, I'm told its from a ford focus ghia mk1/ mondeo mk3, well that's what the description on ebay was lol . I seen a set of 4 lights 2x vanity,1x front and 1x rear for less than a tenner delivered so decided they were the ones for me lol ... the front light unit is useless though as I cant seem to figure out how to fit it to my cab roof (must need a back bracket or something), just another thing to sell on ebay when I'm all done I suppose, if I cant fit it in ,that is :D
HarrytheSaladdodger
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Members Transit's - Progress Reports!