*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

2004 Mk6 Euroline - another transit to take care of

This forum can be used to update other members on your progress with your Transit.

Re: 2004 Mk6 Euroline - another transit to take care of

Postby wojciech » Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:07 pm

maciejd wrote:Front and rear were working. Turned off and I wasn't able to turn on them again. Fuse blown.
I have to check the rear light clusters, most probably there is a short circuit somewhere there.
Try check just bulbs. Many times bulb gets short circuit.
wojciech
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby maciejd » Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:33 pm

Good hint, thank you Wojciech. I'll replace them, just in case :)

I also need to fill the AC and make an overhaul of it - when turned off, the clicking disappears. Might be the clutch as you suggested.

Still many things to do but the list is getting shorter... or at least things are simpler to do ;)

1. fog lights check / repair
2. AC fill / check / repair
3. rear blower gear replacement to get the cold air :)
4. clean leftovers from paint shop polishing
5. new tyres
6. glue the rear mirror I accidentaly broke off when working on the roof lining.
regards, Maciej
It's not about driving a van. It's about Ford Transit.
1996 FT Van, 525 000 km - restoration / progress report topic
2004 FT Euroline, 150 000 km - progress report topic
2008 Renault Clio, 40 000 km
2011 Renault Laguna, 90 000 km
maciejd
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby maciejd » Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:00 pm

Ok. So this are not the rear light clusters, this is not the trailer lights module. I bet that the problem is with the Westfalia bits as these are screwed in very fragile points of the bodywork. Just the loom might be damaged with the screw.
I'm going to check them one by one.

The good thing is that I cleaned up the rear lights ;)

EDIT: yeap, it was it. Curtain rails are screwed using 40 or even 45 mm screws. After removing, all is working fine. The bad thing is to find the damage and fix the isolation I have to take down the roof lining... and it means I need another 8 pegs from Ford. And it will take a long time...
An option is to leave the loom as it is now, use much shorter screws or even plastic ones and start praying it will not cause a fire.
regards, Maciej
maciejd
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby maciejd » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:22 pm

I've ordered new pegs from Ford but at the same time did another test. Tried turning on only front fog lights and after a second the fuse blown. Looking at the wiring diagram it means the problem is not (or not only is) on the loom to rear fog lights. It might be anywhere between the switch and front fog lights. Tomorrow I'll try to review the loom from the engine bay and check the plugs.

Thankfully on Friday I'll be checking wheels geometry, then I'll jump under the van and review wiring.

As for today a small progres: 4 brand new 205/65/R16C Michelin Agilis+ fitted. Cool.

regards, Maciej
maciejd
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby maciejd » Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:52 am

Wheels geometry acceptable, at least what can be adjusted without a hammer and other heavy duty equipment was simply OK.

AC reviewed. Gives 8 Celsius degrees. More than enough.

Next: have to fight the short circuit for fog lights. Clean the van a little bit. Maybe I'll take care of the front seat bases which are corroded a little bit.
regards, Maciej
maciejd
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby maciejd » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:04 pm

Small update.

Bits are coming. 35EUR for a set of four. It's a robbery but the van deserves it :)

Next. How many batteries can be fitted in the van?

First two...

... and third... Nice. I cannot wait when these will need replacement, another 300EUR will be gone :(

Why do I need to get to the battieries you can ask. To disconnect them becasue... of safety reason while...

... fitting this :)

Did I say that I don't like the out of the box steering wheel? It's size in comparison to Mk5 one is like a Woody Allen talking to Hulk Hogan. So I bought another one and asked an upholsterer to do the job. Not cheap but now it's a steering wheel!

And last but not least - how to keep eveyone busy ;)

regards, Maciej
maciejd
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby maciejd » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:11 pm

I just thought it might be a time to post some update.
Not much is happening to the van despite the fact that:
- it got new set of batteries (2x 75Ah Topla and one 100Ah Varta for "deep discharge")
- new power steering pump and water pump (a small leak appeared from the steering pump)
- new gear for the rear blower
- the oil and filters are changed each year
- the van visited several trips covering (despite many places in Poland): Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Germany, Serbia, Slovenia, Croatia, Italy, France, Denmark, Switzerland - so it's doing its job :)

Couple of photos just to make it more interesting:

This year I will have to review the condition of the floor by the front seats and take a look on the chassis. As for now, it is sleeping waiting for spring time :)
regards, Maciej
maciejd
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby chris72a » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:54 pm

Nice clean van you have there congrats :-) look forward to some more pics after you've finished cleaning her up.

Chris.
chris72a
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby chris72a » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:04 pm

I just re-read the whole thread, wow great job, how much difference did the sound proofing make I have a couple of rolls of dynamat been sitting here for years undecided where to put it to get the best sound proofness :-)

Cheers
Chris.
chris72a
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby easogs » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:06 pm

Hi Maciej,

Congratulations, you have done a great job with your Euroline, I bought one like yours recently and I am trying to prepare it for the spring, I havent the original documentation of the van, do you have it? I would like to know hoy the batteries work, I have seen a relay under the drivers seat but I am not sure if it splits both batteries when the engine is off, do you have information about this?

I am planning to change both batteries, now I have 70Ah main battery and 95Ah service battery, I plan to change them by AGM batteries.

Best regards, Miliki.
easogs

Postby Brains_transit » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:58 am

I had one reverse light not working and I traced it to a break in the wire above the front door so maybe something like that with your fog lights blowing the fuse
Brains_transit
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby rodney » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:51 pm

that van looks soooo clean! , I'm planning to waxoil my truck when weather warms up :)
rodney
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby maciejd » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:19 pm

chris72a wrote:Nice clean van you have there congrats :-) look forward to some more pics after you've finished cleaning her up.
Chris.

Thank you. I think I will start somewhere in the mid May. That's the plan, at least.
Brains_transit wrote:I had one reverse light not working and I traced it to a break in the wire above the front door so maybe something like that with your fog lights blowing the fuse

That was my first shot as well. In euroline there are screws just drilled through the side wall upholstery for the curtains rails. But it was not that so initially I gave up. During the vacation I has some time and I did another try. I just went through the harness in the back pillars. There is a trailer lightning module and one or two relays. I just reviewed the connectors, they were just fine, but noticed one relay is just hanging on the loom. I mounted it up side up and it worked. For some time. I guess it just fallen down again. The plan is to replace that guy with a new one and mount it more solid way. It can be that.

easogs wrote:I havent the original documentation of the van, do you have it? I would like to know hoy the batteries work, I have seen a relay under the drivers seat but I am not sure if it splits both batteries when the engine is off, do you have information about this?

Non documentation at all. I was emailing Westfalia when I was looking for the strips decals typical for Euroline. On the beginning they responded and showed what they can offer, but then stopped replying for any messages. I think you can give them a try and email them. On the passenger pillar C (left pillar of the sliding doors) you should have a sticker with serial number of the modifications done by Westfalia to make it Transit Euroline.
Maybe they will be able to give you some hints/docs on that. I know there are differences in the installation, there is a deep discharge battery added but not sure how it is working in real. I might be it is only charged when driving, but the additional batter is used only for 12V cigarette lighter connectors in the back of the van and the upper light over the table. This is my guess only :(
chris72a wrote:I just re-read the whole thread, wow great job, how much difference did the sound proofing make I have a couple of rolls of dynamat been sitting here for years undecided where to put it to get the best sound proofness

In Euroline - not too big, because the van itself is quite well sound-proofed. But in Mk5 putting Dynamat on walls, doors and root did the job! :)

Thank you all for the nice comments, I'm glad you like it :)
regards, Maciej
maciejd
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby delinquent2950 » Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:31 am

Hey, I simply love this thread. Just figured out that I want to buy an mk6 Euroline to smooth out and have as my every day runner and mobile office as well as my party van with the friends on the weekends. I fell in love with the concept of how the Eurolines are built from that era, and the lower price segments seem to be something I can work with. Have a ton of car mechanic friends so I am not afraid of finding the wrong one, but I love looking at pictures on how other people built their own. Unfortunately for some reason I cannot see the photos in the top of this thread. :(
delinquent2950

Previous

Return to Members Transit's - Progress Reports!