*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Two Wrongs Make A Right?

This forum can be used to update other members on your progress with your Transit.

Two Wrongs Make A Right?

Postby gavcarter » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:05 pm

Quick background : have kids, love bikes, wouldn't drive a MPV unless it was at another MPV need big reliable vehicle = TRANSIT! Yea...... right....

bought a very basic 75hp swb, no leccy windows, mirrors, just central locking and a faster pedal.
Was offered a 100hp swb, with all the toys, leccy mirrors, windows, heated windscreen, abs, traction control etc....
Kept both vans, started getting the "good one" ready for use, remove ply lining, add supports for rear seats, replace lining, easy peasy.

Okay maybe not that simple, lets just plate em up and carry on ( excuse the big blobby welds, I was tediously spotting it with an arc welder until I managed to lend a mig welder - remember none of this was planned)

2mm plate, should be good and sturdy and last a good while. Also welded up all the screw holes in the floor, ground flush and primered over

Now what to do about the "lip" these patches have left on the outside of the van? Well the plan was to jump under the van and seem weld them from the outside to avoid water becoming trapped between my repairs and the original panel.

clean back all the underseal and go to start welding and...

Oh, dear... we need an outrigger, and removing more underseal and lumpy stuff that was stone chipped over

wheres the back of my sill gone? Time to grab a hammer and have a good poke

some one plated front wing in past, but didnt cut the rot from behind it

and its been jacked on the sills

and this sill is just missing

So balls to it lets put all the bits off this one into the other van ( lower specced but less rust - I hope! )

Started stripping it out and get the feeling im doing the right thing

The worst part is figuring out where to keep stuff!

Majority of it will end up for sale I guess, and hopefully help fund the project on

End goal is a nice tidy, sporty, sorta off road ready looking van, fully carpeted, 6 seats, LED lighting inside etc.

We'll see its funny how projects take twists and turns into something never intended
gavcarter
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Two Wrongs Make A Right?

Postby AlanN » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:30 pm

Looks like a fair amount of tin worm there, keep the pictures coming, look forward to seeing the end result :D
Ford Transit MK3 1989 2.8i V6 Auto Member of the MK3 Massive

R.I.P Kirk Bacon aka Eugene Speed
AlanN
Site Moderator

Postby BigMonty » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:11 am

A brave man ! :D
"You'll never beat a fool with logic or facts but you can demolish anyone with sincerly spoken nonsense"
BigMonty
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby transitandy » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:07 pm

BigMonty wrote:A brave man ! :D

X2 :)
TRANSIT M8, SAY NO MORE YOUR IN...... FORD THROUGH TO THE BONE......
transitandy
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby gavcarter » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:45 pm

Bit more stripping done today, drive shafts, hubs, springs, wiring harnesses, intercooler, radiator support, master cylinders, fuse box and a few bits and bobs. Two ball joint had to be cut, pig to do but go there in the end.

Piles off bits are getting bigger, any one after headlights or tail lights haha

gavcarter
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby gavcarter » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:18 pm

Finished stripping today, van is gutted just a shell, pics tommorrow I'm nackered now lol
gavcarter
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby gavcarter » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:48 pm

Well, I didn't get them pics. Totally forgot and scrapped the shell, got the other van pulled in and took off bonnet, wings, swapped doors for electric windowed ones. Started poking at rust, and then got the grinder out

A few spot welds and some black expandy gluey foam, are you fir real ford? No wonder these rot from the inside out, also the panel matches are horrible, overlaps, gaps and really half arsed, just filled with foam. All looks factory, I'm positive,this isn't a bodge.

I seem to have caught it before it turned real nasty, but for a first attempt restoration its a bloody big job

I dont plan on buying repair panels, other than the outers you can see. The way ford have thrown these together with big seams in the line of fire from the water off wheels, and overlapped everything leaving little gaps. No thanks, ill find a way to make a wheel arch that keeps the water OUT of the van.
gavcarter
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby gavcarter » Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:52 pm

Slow progress on this, got all the right hand wheel arch cleaned out. As you can see the rust was under the underseal, slowly spreading out of sight.

Under the strut top every seam had surface rust on it, under the underseal, no idea it was there until it was cleaned off

This seem was quite rusty, just behind the front wheel.

Better look at the strut top

Fords idea of weather protection. Overlapped seams with big gaps in, filled with underseal.
The white underseal is still visible at the left of the join because I couldn't get in at it, but look at the size of the gap between the arch and chassis! The front wheels throw allsorts of mud and water down there, no wonder these vans rot quickly.

Here's another, drivers footstep meets chassis / bottom of arch. A quick spot weld and fill the gap with underseal.

I will be seam welding, and sealing all these joins, the gaps will be plated in.

Got a load of rust killer to apply first though.....
gavcarter
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby pelmetman » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:55 pm

For a moment there, I thought I was looking at a MK5 :mrgreen: .............
TOWIE Transit club member .......

Fanny a 99 LWB Semi high roof MK 5......Essex V6 auto
Horace a 90 SWB Ford Travelhome MK 3....2.5 diesel manual
pelmetman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby davew2 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:23 pm

I have a mk6 and the subframe mount on the last pic is the one area that worries me the most if/when it rots
If it ain't got leaf springs it in't a commercial
davew2
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby gavcarter » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:31 pm

Yea it does look like a poor design in that area, just like a big crap catcher where all the mud sits and causes rot. I'll be inventing a solution for it as the build progresses...
gavcarter
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby vmaxman66 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:53 pm

Sorry to say , looking at your vans my old mk5s are not to bad
vmaxman66
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby gavcarter » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:10 pm

They are both in a state ain't they? The first one is in transit heaven. The second looked a lot better before the grinder came out, it was just surface rust on the arches, the odd bubble in paint. Wasn't until I cut the arch off and started cleaning back the underseal the extent of it was revealed
gavcarter
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby transitandy » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:26 pm

Its an eye opener for sure :wink:
Keep up the good work :)
TRANSIT M8, SAY NO MORE YOUR IN...... FORD THROUGH TO THE BONE......
transitandy
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby gavcarter » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:10 am

Little more progress, just finished stripping stuff out the van

Wiring harness out

Complete and in tact seemed to take forever undoing all the little clips etc, will get on ebay at some point

Followed by engine bay harness, also removed the engine harness but forgot to get pics of that

Then the gearbox was dropped, on my own with only one jack, it was a fair struggle but got there, the bearing in the end seems a bit noisy

Found some fine glitter in the bell housing.

Suppose I best drop the engine instead of letting it dangle off one mount

Doing this on my own I couldn't keep it on the jack, I managed to carefully slide it off the jack rather than drop it, but the hardest part of the day was moving this engine all of 7 or 8 feet and getting it wrapped up in a tarp

gavcarter
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Next

Return to Members Transit's - Progress Reports!