*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

My MK7 Daily Driver + Race van

This forum can be used to update other members on your progress with your Transit.

My MK7 Daily Driver + Race van

Postby dantranvan » Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:22 am

Been needing a karting van for a while now and as I don't want to pay a 3rd lot of insurance and tax etc, decided on replacing my daily driver with this today

280 SWB m/r 2.2 85PS with 141k on the clock and proper tidy. Went to see some ex post office vans a few days ago that had done 41k and were absolutely trashed :lol:
Bit gutted it's got keep fit windows but other than that I'm happy with it.

Plans so far
Give the cab a proper clean
Remove rear shelving and put a platform in for kart
Audio upgrade. It's got a Ford stereo with aux option but I couldn't see a jack anywhere. Not sure if I just need to fit one somewhere or not? Might just replace it with a headunit with built in hands free.
Maybe tint the headlights. Seen a few on here and they look good.

Had a quick look at bluefins to see if they are worth while and the figures seem pretty good. I don't need the van to be fast (got a Focus RS to go fast in :D ) but I quite like the idea of a bit more power and the extra mpg is always handy.
I like the idea of alloys and sport van bodykit but I imagine I'll find better things to spend the money on
dantranvan
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: My MK7 Daily Driver + Race van

Postby bringmycar » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:52 am

Good luck with the project and looking forward to seeing the progress. Nice clean van.
bringmycar
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby andz327 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:17 pm

Try the passenger top glove box for the Audio jack
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby dantranvan » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:18 pm

bringmycar wrote:Good luck with the project and looking forward to seeing the progress. Nice clean van.

Cheers. Was a real struggle finding something that wasn't an utter state for this sort of money

andz327 wrote:Try the passenger top glove box for the Audio jack

Had a quick peak just now but only appear to have a blanking cap where Im guessing a jack could be. Guessing either it was an optional extra that wasn't ticked or this isn't the stereo the van originally came with. If it's got the functionality, I may go for the cheaper option of retro fitting a jack and a cheap phone holder to use hands free.

Today when cleaning out the disAstra this is replacing to sell it, I nicked the mats and stuck them in the van. Driver one is a bit worn but they'll do for now

dantranvan
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby ned » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:36 pm

Looks a tidy van, not seen one post can that isn't trashed. Would the racking not come in handy for kart spares, wheels and stuff. N
RUST IS LIGHTER THEN CARBON FIBRE

57 transit 85t260 2.2 swb, moondust silver.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=209987

03 transit 125t280 2.0 tdci swb 229,000 miles.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=168296
ned
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby dantranvan » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:07 pm

nedforceone wrote:Looks a tidy van, not seen one post can that isn't trashed. Would the racking not come in handy for kart spares, wheels and stuff. N

Unfortunately, in it's current position it would mean the karts wouldn't fit width ways. I'm tempted though now thinking about it to keep hold of them and maybe trim them down to fit in width ways behind the bulk head rather than just smash it out with a hammer. It does seem a shame to waste them. Same with the roof bars. I have no need for them so they'll likely come off and be sold but then my dad suggested putting something on there so it's a viewing platform at the track :lol:
Trouble is that means a ladder on the back door and then all of a sudden it looks like a tatty builders van if I'm not careful
dantranvan
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby dantranvan » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:26 pm

Today I thought I'd remove the shelving on my lunch break whilst it's sunny
An easy enough job I thought
Started easy enough but the beam against the bulkhead is refusing to budge. It's bizarre as it's not been attached to it, just wedged in so the shelving won't come out as one :?

Did an awesome job of unwittingly taking the skin off my knuckles
dantranvan
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby dantranvan » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:13 pm

Got home and feel a bit daft now. The rear pillar was screwed into the bulkhead in from behind the drivers seat :oops:
Still at least its out now.

Thought Id have a bash at scrubbing the floor with some hand wipes. I'll get around to doing it properly with something more suitable but thought I'd have a bash for a couple of minutes while I was outside

Will also give the seats a good scrubbing to get rid of the very faint whiff of dog and then tempted to fit covers like I had in my old mk6. Also need some proper dashboard cleaner to and some cotton buds to clean the crap out of the air vents.

Getting a solid base to start on in some ways is the part I most enjoy with any vehicle. Yes I like modifying stuff but getting it as good as it can be in standard form can be pretty satisfying and is often where all the pocket money jobs happen. Someone tell me I'm not weird lol
dantranvan
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby dantranvan » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:28 pm

All loaded up ready for the weekend. It's a good game of tetris but I can squeeze everything I need into the back. Shelf will be going in shortly to fit another kart on top.

Doesn't go as bad as I thought with all the weight in the back. It's noticeable but I'm not crying and wanting a new van. Be interesting to see how it copes with another kart in there but I'm not ordering a bluefin just yet.

Also wanting to improve the lighting in the rear just so when loading in the dark it's much easier to see
dantranvan
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby dantranvan » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:44 pm

As some of you may have read, I've hit my first problem. The common fwd issue with a worn gear selector bearing. It's quite absurd as to how quick the issue can appear from nowhere and cause issues.
Just sent my dad up to Ford to get a new bearing and seal and I shall attempt to refurb the existing unit rather than shell out £300+ on a new one.

In other news, when moving into my first house last week and relying on the mrs backing me in as I had the doors open, I managed to bend the passenger rear door. Luckily it still closes and seals properly, just proper pings open when you release the handle. Paint is also cracked but she felt so bad she said she'll pay for a new one. Just need to keep my eye out for one
dantranvan
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby dantranvan » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:47 pm

Got the bearing and seal from Ford and for the benefit of those with similar issues
Bearing - 6152850 - £7.81+ VAT
Seal - 1064929 - £5.29 + VAT
However, I've still not got around to fitting them :oops: . As advised on here, I drenched the selector with half a can of WD40 as a "get me home" fix but it seems to be holding up really well which is handy as I've not had much free time to refurb it.

Currently in the process of getting some removable racking in the back for carrying 2 karts.

Also got the day off on Friday so may give it a good wash and get some more pics up
dantranvan
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby dantranvan » Sat May 07, 2016 1:34 pm

Removed the roof bars this morning. Never going to use them, they need to come off so I make the height restriction for the ferry so I sold them.
Looks less like a builders van now
dantranvan
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby dantranvan » Sat May 07, 2016 6:22 pm

Unlike the UK, we still have to display tax discs here atm.
Tatty one had to go

Replaced by a carbon magnetic one

Nothing massively exciting I know but I always like to sort the little bits out on my vehicles so I've a solid base before anything big happens :)
dantranvan
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby bigjohnthomas » Sat May 07, 2016 7:47 pm

keep it lubed up it will last for years that gearbox bearing ;)
bigjohnthomas
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby dantranvan » Sat May 07, 2016 10:11 pm

bigjohnthomas wrote:keep it lubed up it will last for years that gearbox bearing ;)

If it was easier to access, I'd have done it by now
dantranvan
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Next

Return to Members Transit's - Progress Reports!