*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

mk4 camper/day van

This forum can be used to update other members on your progress with your Transit.

Re: mk4 camper/day van

Postby steviebee » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:43 pm

Noooooooooo! Dont get rid of it. I wish I had kept my Mk5 converted Camper. Cost me £1500 in welding even though it had new MOT when I got her. Had aircon front and rear as well, and was alovely light metalic Gold colour from factory.. Had her 6 years. Got a Mk6 now that I have converted, had her 4 years wouldnt part with her either, but the Mk5 just had that little something.
2005 85ps t280 swb camper, chrome door handles, outside temp gauge and clock and auxiliary 12volt socket. Colour coded bumpers & door mirrors, Mondeo glasses holder. Auto dim rear view mirror. Vantunered :D . 2012 Transit Trend in Panther Black
steviebee
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby mike En » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:09 am

Don't worry I'm not selling it anytime soon ! Lol
Helping my father in law break one of his mk3's next week so will be having the gearbox from that (providing its not crunchy like my current one !), no doubt there will be other bits aswell, drivers seat base so i can fit it on the passenger side to get the matching recaro seat in, Couple of back lights to have a play with, wing mirror to replace the drivers side as its got a chunk missing and probably more !

First thing is first though, got to take the rad off and flush it through to hopefully cure the hot running (not actually overheating,,,,yet!)
mike En
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby mike En » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:28 am

Goodies for the mk4 :)
WP_20161219_17_44_34_Pro.jpg

Crap pic, but I've got:
.gearbox
.pair if smiley mirrors
.drivers seat base with separate front-back height adjustment.
.side door runner (have a plan to make room for the Wellers)
.wiper linkage
.spare wheel
.plastic trim that goes along bottom of windscreen with washer jets in

Then once Christmas and new year are out the way and were back to some sort of normality (whatever that's meant to be ! Lol) I'll order various new bits clutch, cambelt, water pump etc etc ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mike En
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby mike En » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:27 pm

Now having two working wipers again ! Smiley linkage wasn't exactly the same but its on now, just need to make a small bracket to bolt the motor on to the bulk head as wasn't the same.
The two nuts under the wiper arms where a right pain in the butt aswell ! Steel nut on a plastic thread, just spun the whole thing wouldn't actually come off, had to hacksaw through the nuts and chisel them off !

WP_20161221_14_49_37_Pro.jpg

WP_20161221_14_49_41_Pro.jpg

Bit of a crap design, Alloy tube with plastic pivot parts !
Luckily the mk5 is all steel with rubber bush's in the pivots.

WP_20161221_14_47_39_Pro.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mike En
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby mike En » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:49 pm

Just ordered some LED reverse light bulbs, hopefully there good as the standard bulbs are rubbish when trying to see behind !
Cheap ebay reverse camera soon aswell I think, along with a screen for the dash and one for the rear as already have a dvd head unit but only has a 3" screen on the front of it ! Lol
mike En
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby mike En » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:42 pm

Led reverse bulbs, not sure if there brighter, the white instead of yellow so that's a plus, and one of the old bulbs was blown so there at least 100% brighter now they both work !

One old, one LED.
WP_20170128_17_14_01_Pro.jpg
mike En
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby mike En » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:36 pm

New fuel cap painted up and fitted today after I had a problem with the old one, was stuck solid, even knackered my only key trying to unlock it !
Smashed the old one to bits to get it out, ordered a new blank key and had it cut today, and as a bonus it now works the lock in my side loading door !

Still haven't got the Weller's on either ! But I now have 2 new 205/55/16 tyres, and 4 part warn's, just got to get them swapped over, and also order some new wheel bolts as my original ones have the big floating washer on which is going to make it impossible to make the tapered bit of the bolt holes the right size.

Also need to give the battery a full charge up and stick an extra earth or two on to the engine and body I think as didn't want to start without a jump the last couple of times.
mike En
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby mike En » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:05 pm

Just had a little spend up on parts !
Ordered:
.bottom end gasket set
.prop centre bearing
.cam belt and tensioner
.aux belts
.water pump
.pair of speakers for the front

Now to fit them all ! (when they arrive)
mike En
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby mike En » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:30 pm

What a day ! Gearbox swapped, engine oil drained, sump off, old gasket scrapped off, new gasket (pain in the arse !), fresh oil and filter. Cold and wet outside which didn't help though !
Now can change up and down through all the gears with no crunching.
My new centre bearing was the wrong size one, but the old one wasn't actually that bad, and since changing the box it doesn't judder when moving off so guess it was the box doing it. The old gearbox's oil is very grey and watery looking aswell, might take it to pieces to see what the damage is.
mike En
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby bezzabsa » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:10 pm

Looking good..

Do the Bongo seats turn into a bed? and do you need 2 sets to do that???

thinking of something along those lines for my Citroen Relay (shhhh) :twisted:
Driving a Transit estate...Mondeo 130 Tdci 2002 ;)
Yam Yam from yamyam land ayit ??
Bostin' ay it?
bezzabsa
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby mike En » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:56 am

bezzabsa wrote:Looking good..

Do the Bongo seats turn into a bed? and do you need 2 sets to do that???

thinking of something along those lines for my Citroen Relay (shhhh) :twisted:

Thanks, I've still got a few more bits to change but its getting there !

Yes, the bongo seats fold back flat and slide together to back a bed, not the most comfortable but not too bad.
You could sleep on one seat if your not to big, but is a whole lot better with the 2 benches as it makes about a double bed size.
mike En
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby mike En » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:05 pm

WP_20170430_17_29_29_Pro.jpg

WP_20170430_17_29_14_Pro.jpg
mike En
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby mike En » Wed May 31, 2017 9:47 pm

Some goodies ready for the trip to Yorkshire next week.

Bought a drive away awning, easycamp sebring 200. Won it for £20 and cost £12 delivery !
Its bloody massive, could park the transit inside it !
WP_20170531_18_34_03_Pro.jpg

WP_20170531_18_33_29_Pro.jpg

Also bought a 12v push/pull fan. Going to mount it in front to push the air through the rad, controlled from a switch as and when I need it. Pretty good colour match for the van aswell ! Lol
WP_20170531_19_03_40_Pro.jpg
mike En
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby mike En » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:18 am

Cam belt and water pump time !
Was lovely and warm outside so thought id make a start, managed to get the old belt off and then the thunder and lightning started ! Absolutely chucked it down and got soaked through ! Managed to get it done though, in between downpours lol.
Also changed the rad to a later mk5 one, was slightly bigger than the original so had to make a new hole for the rubber mount to fit in. Also mounted the fan on the front of the rad.

WP_20170602_16_51_15_Pro.jpg

WP_20170602_17_24_22_Pro.jpg

Tommorow ive got to wire up the fan, fit all the parts and new seal for the speedo drive so the speedo works again and then some underseat storage in the back.
mike En
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby mike En » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:32 am

So today I changed the passenger brake calliper, bled it, pushed the pedal and suddenly started creeping down with a hissing noise, got my misses to push the pedal while i had a look about, noticed a fine mist coming from the drivers front brake line under the bonnet, was rotten as a peach near the fitting going through the arch and had burst !

So changed that and took it for a test, was struggling to accelerate after a couple of mins so pulled over to find the passenger brake smoking !

Gave it a whack and managed to free it off to drive home, cracked the nipple which sprayed a load fluid out all over the inner arch !

Took the flexi off and pumped some air in to it from my blow gun on the compressor, 90psi and only got blow back from the same end ! So fingers crossed ive found the problem to my sticking brake ! At bloody last ! Lmao

Anyway on a more productive note ive also fitted the speedo drive from my old gearbox, made a storage box under the back seat and also started making a removable table for the back !

Will take some pics when its finished.
mike En
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

PreviousNext

Return to Members Transit's - Progress Reports!