*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Dons Tandem transporter Mk6 2005

This forum can be used to update other members on your progress with your Transit.

Dons Tandem transporter Mk6 2005

Postby Trannygrandad » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:24 pm

No, not a cycle tandem, but a disability scooter with tandem scooter behind

Bought this tranny this week.
111-00188 (7).jpg

2005 Mk6 350
Like all 2nd hand vehicles there's always something needing attention
List of to-dos
1 Remove speed limiter 65 mph annoying & dangerous!!
2 replace cab rubber mat with something that is not a waterproof membrane
3 replace twin front passenger seat with single one for ease of access for disabled
driver & passenger
4 check hydraulic wheelchair lift for oil level as obvious leak observed
5 check battery needs was told it should have 2 batteries one for motor, 80 Ah, and
one for tail lift & passenger compartment lighting etc.,
6 get bodywork on 'lutonhead' seen to, as previous driver had tried to get under
too low an entry
7 get additional anchor atatchments for Unwin tracking system, to secure wheelchair
& tandem
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don,with fond (&other) memories of Transits from 1st pickup wayback when there were no motorways
Fave '73 with 3lt V6 , overdrive & sawn off Luton & 16ft box trailer,oh & twin fuel tanks. Exeter to Scotland return trip without refuelling,
Trannygrandad
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Dons Tandem transporter Mk6 2005

Postby Trannygrandad » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:23 pm

Its a LWB Hi Top, 8 seat with Unwin tracking to move seat positioning & secure wheelchairs/scooters
So to facilitate getting out of wheelchair, the seat by door on left

111-00252 (2)20pc.jpg

was moved over to the right front

111-00252 (1)20pc.jpg

the red levers release the tracking locks so as to relocate the seat

111-00252 (7)20pc.jpg

leaving plenty of room to accomodate the tandem rig

111-00252 (8)20pc.jpg

next job is to resculpt the tandem so as it can be loaded on the hydraulic tail lift in one piece

106-00361 (99)20pc.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don,with fond (&other) memories of Transits from 1st pickup wayback when there were no motorways
Fave '73 with 3lt V6 , overdrive & sawn off Luton & 16ft box trailer,oh & twin fuel tanks. Exeter to Scotland return trip without refuelling,
Trannygrandad
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Trannygrandad » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:25 pm

Are those pics ok, or too large?
Trannygrandad
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Luke » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:29 pm

Trannygrandad wrote:Are those pics ok, or too large?
fine :D good luck with it 8)
Luke
Site Admin

Postby KING OF ENGLAND » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:38 pm

can't see it properly but it looks like the wheel chair lift
is a Ricon if it is there are one of the best lifts to have
KING OF ENGLAND
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Trannygrandad » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:48 am

KING OF ENGLAND wrote:can't see it properly but it looks like the wheel chair lift
is a Ricon if it is there are one of the best lifts to have

Actually its a PSL platform, not a Ricon

I am thinking of stripping out the ford rubber floor cover in the cab as water gets under it but takes ages to escape, as under the rubber its like a sponge fiber layer
But I dont want to just replace with carpet as I suspect the sound levels would rise, looks to be about 18mm thick fiber layer bonded under the rubber.

Any one any experience of a suitable replacement?
As it doesnt get exposure to building sites or farmyards I feel that a fabric top surface would be suitable and dry out quicker.
Ideal solution would be no leaks from screen,bodywork or heater pipes!
Doesn't seem to be any obvious leaks though.
Trannygrandad
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Trannygrandad » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:36 pm

In the to do list item 1 will have to wait
Item 2 is proceeding, pulled out rubber matting ,
dried out floor, removed bubbled rust, gave floor at least 2 coats of silver hammerite smooth. Had a job figuring out how to remove plastic steps inserts, finally found two securing 'bolts' up through the underneath of the steps, nearside ones a swine to get at due to sliding step cassette being in the way, worth it though.
The silver looks way better than black which smacks of quick fix instead of preventative measure, Well I think so anyway.

111-00296 (30) 20pc.jpg

111-00296 (31) 20pc.jpg

111-00296 (29) 20pc.jpg
Trannygrandad
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Trannygrandad » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:44 pm

Obtained a seat pedestal for the passenger, Beware dismantelers foisting poor quality items by judicious choice of photo angle to hide appalling rust. had to spend over an hour with angle grinder to get back to good metal. looked like it had been sitting in 2 inches of water for the last 10 years!! but black Hammerite has it looking good again
NOTE TO SELF. dont buy from a breaker unless you see first the item you buy.

Pedestal in place over carpet with sound deadening underlay, 2 layers
( but not under rim of pedestal base)

111-00296 (39) 20pc.jpg

mounting cradle for winch

111-00296 (14) 20pc.jpg

and with winch fitted & ply filler for walking over

111-00296 (22) 20pc.jpg

bolted to floor using redundant seat belt stalk mounting hole
and fitting snug under the hand brake assembly

111-00296 (36) 20pc.jpg
Trannygrandad
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Trannygrandad » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:06 am

On point 5 of my todo list. Battery, was told there was two under drivers seat but found only one 80amh.
anyone any experience of taillift power draw?
my typical day is 5-6 miles driving, with 8 tailift operations.
all ok during summer so far. But I am concerned for winter use with lights, heater use, cold temperatures affecting battery holding charge
I think the battery fitted is an 80 amh one
Trannygrandad
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby ake » Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:16 pm

Trannygrandad wrote:On point 5 of my todo list. Battery, was told there was two under drivers seat but found only one 80amh.
all ok during summer so far. But I am concerned for winter use with lights, heater use, cold temperatures affecting battery holding charge

Only MK 7 rwd have twin batteries as standard.

I'd recommend you buy another battery the same as the one you have and connect them in parallel with battery cable.

The tail lift will hammer a single battery, and you'll end up unable to get started!
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby kxrf » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:02 am

DId you mount the Unwin track with through bolts and backup plates?

I have some thoughts of installing some two-position track on some of the side pillars - back of which are blind and was considering something like this:
http://rivetsonline.com/rivet-nuts-and- ... eries.html

Thoughts?

frank
kxrf

Postby Trannygrandad » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:40 pm

kxrf wrote:DId you mount the Unwin track with through bolts and backup plates?

I have some thoughts of installing some two-position track on some of the side pillars - back of which are blind and was considering something like this:

Thoughts?

frank

Thro bolts is the standard practice, M8s I think,
mine were already fitted, factory build at the Turkey plant
It is compatible but I suspect its not actually Unwin track. but used as a generic term

When I installed Unwin tracks in a previous Transit, I had to get a local garage to check my torque settings on the fixing bolts & provide a certificate to satisfy my insurers.
what do you intending anchoring in the tracks? if it is for disability wheelchairs/scooters
I think your insurers would be uncomfortable if it were not an industry standard procedure that had been crash tested. I keep coming up against a brick wall when I ask for non standard fitting/ adaptation in the trade.
Trannygrandad
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Trannygrandad » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:53 pm

ake wrote:
Trannygrandad wrote:On point 5 of my todo list. Battery, was told there was two under drivers seat but found only one 80amh.

Only MK 7 rwd have twin batteries as standard.

I'd recommend you buy another battery the same as the one you have and connect them in parallel with battery cable.

The tail lift will hammer a single battery, and you'll end up unable to get started!

Thats what I thought, but it has a ford Silver Calcium battery fitted and I fear that putting a new battery in parallel with an old one would not be practical, so would probably have to buy two new batteries for best life
Trannygrandad
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby kxrf » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:36 pm

Trannygrandad wrote:
kxrf wrote:DId you mount the Unwin track with through bolts and backup plates?

Thoughts?

frank

what do you intending anchoring in the tracks, if it is for disability wheelchairs/scooters
I think your insurers would be uncomfortable if it were not an industry standard procedure that had been crash tested. I keep coming up against a brick wall when I ask for non standard fitting/ adaptation in the trade.

My intention is a cargo net that can be placed either directly behind the rear seats, retaining seating for five, or moving the net just behind the tumbled second row seats. Something like this ( http://www.uscargocontrol.com/Van-Trail ... /Cargo-Net ).
I would mount these ( http://www.uscargocontrol.com/Ratchet-S ... ck-2-Piece) along the internal bracing along the sides, top, and floor to anchor the net. As those bracing "arches" are formed in a basic "U" shape, then the skin welded to it, the backside of those braces would be inaccessible to attach a traditional fastener - sheet metal screws would be wholly inadequate, but the blind threaded rivets, in theory, would work well.

Certainly, a net mounted like this would be superior to the built-in netting supplied in my BMW 5-series wagon, and far better than nothing at all.

In the US, cargo/passenger separation laws seems much more lax than in UK/Europe. Nearly all cargo vans here are sold without any bulkhead at all. Airport shuttle vans also have no separation between luggage and passengers. I understand, depending on the cargo laws of the locality or country, why an insurer would be unsure of approving anything not tested and certified. Part of my problem is finding anything designed to fit behind the second row of seats on my 2013.
frank
kxrf

Postby Trannygrandad » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:13 pm

Update time,
Item 5 of to-do list,
I have replaced the battery with two 85ah calcium batteries, now plenty of power in reserve for tail lift, winch, & Crane. (of which more shortly)
The guy who fitted them said the old battery was dated 2004, so original fitted by ford ( Ford silver calcium) not bad, 11 years service & still 600 ah!
But before I continue I have a problem,
Since I bought it the speedo has only shown the trip kms.
The total kms was only shown on the Tacho. but now the tacho has gone blank completely, & none of the mini fuses under the dash have blown.
Any ideas?
Trannygrandad
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Next

Return to Members Transit's - Progress Reports!