*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

CamperVanBeethoven's Mk5

This forum can be used to update other members on your progress with your Transit.

CamperVanBeethoven's Mk5

Postby CamperVanBeethoven » Tue May 09, 2017 9:15 pm

OK, so I said I'd start a Progress Report on the van, and so here it is ...

For several years, more and more of my mates going to Glastonbury were doing it by campervan. I wanted to get one of my own, but the cost was an issue. Campervans are not cheap! Then one day on my way to work in August 2015, I T-boned someone else's car after I went when the light was green, and he went when his light - at 90 degrees to mine - also went green, so he said. A likely tale, you may think? But when the council finally replaced the light several months later, it had mysteriously turned through 90 degrees and was now a REPEATER for the direction I was travelling in.

Was it always supposed to be that way? I never found out. I was due to be a witness in the court case for the guy who jumped the "red" light, but I was countermanded and not called. So I don't know what happened to him, maybe it was incorrectly installed and he got off on the grounds that sure enough, he saw a green light. Rather tellingly, the guy from the council who turned up to make the lights safe and turn them back on said that pole was getting knocked over "all the time". It hasn't been knocked over since. Hmm ... I don't like to participate in the "blame culture" but perhaps I should find out if I am due some compensation from the council.

My beloved (well, I liked it more than most of the other cars I'd ever had, apart from the Honda Civic Coupé I'd had which was like sh*t off a shovel) X reg automatic Mercedes-Benz E200 Elegance was toast. It was a total write off.

20150813_094932.jpg

So, I had a Vauxhall Corsa on the insurance as a courtesy car until the claim was settled and they paid out a mere £1200 - minus £250 excess! for it :x . Coupled with savings in the bank, this gave me about £3000 to spend. And I didn't want the hassle of a bank loan. So, off I went shopping at the lower end of the market, until I found my van ...

The van was bought off AutoTrader back in August 2015. It was bought off some guy who sells Transits on a farm in the middle of nowhere in the Lake District. So, a long drive down there to see the van and I bought it for about £2500 in Bank of England twenties (I cleared out the bank vault of English £20 notes at my nearest branch :D ... it's all Scottish funny money up here usually, remember?). And thus I acquired the van ... Lily, as I sometimes jokingly call her, "because she's like Lily Savage - a big Tranny".

First I had to drive this huge thing back to Scotland. I'd never driven a van this size before in my life! But, I reasoned ... it's not much longer than the Merc was, it shouldn't be a problem, you've been driving for 14 years so just get on with it you big wuss. It did take a while though. The engine, I think, had not had a decent thrashing in a long time, having been owned by a succession of sedate owners (I am the 13th Registered Keeper ;)). Over the next few weeks, the van began to run better as I thrashed it hard. But the steering was SO heavy! OK so there's no power steering but still ... is it supposed to be this bad? (Turned out the answer was 'no', and the steering rack eventually bust itself and had to be replaced).

Here's a couple of pictures of her, several months after purchase:

20160513_175826_2.jpg

20160513_175806_2.jpg

So it had rust problems. It's a Transit. It got welded, MOTed. I went to a few festivals in it, and even went for a weekend down to York (nice Camping and Caravanning Club site).

And then, after going to Solfest, the windscreen cracked. And thus began the tale of The Money Pit ... to be continued :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CamperVanBeethoven
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Re: CamperVanBeethoven's Mk5

Postby CamperVanBeethoven » Tue May 09, 2017 9:39 pm

The windscreen cracked, and I contacted the windscreen insurance company. First off, I find that as well as my excess, the windscreen replacement cost has a cap. An upper limit. I end up having to shell out over £120 to get the windscreen done. The guy turns up to do the windscreen, takes off the rubber seal, and finds ...

THE DREADED ROT!!! :(

20160905_093325_2.jpg

Enquiries were made. No one would touch it. Wider enquiries were made. Went to one firm several miles away, who sent me to another. He looked at it and he didn't want to touch it either 'but I know someone who might fix that for you' ...

I drove it there, and he said he'd fix it! Two corners of the roof would have to be chopped out, and GRPed back in. It would need painting. And, he would not know how bad the rot was until the screen was out. Got the screen out, to reveal the rot was thankfully only mostly at the corners. But, it was still going to be expensive. £400 expensive ...

He did a good job though, and the van was soon back on the road! Well, it took about a week and a half ... but it was done, and a new screen fitted.

More minor upgrades happened. A rotten battery tray was replaced. The clocks were replaced for Mondeo clocks. MOT time was coming around, so I took it back to him to get some 'minor welding' done. Or so I thought ...

He started off with the door. It was rusted through at the bottom, and so he sorted that. Then he started checking out the other parts of the van ...

Oh dear.

WP_20170320_14_44_00_Pro.jpg

WP_20170324_11_54_51_Pro.jpg

WP_20170324_11_54_55_Pro.jpg

WP_20170324_11_55_10_Pro.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CamperVanBeethoven
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby CamperVanBeethoven » Tue May 09, 2017 9:49 pm

So ... after much rust removal ...

WP_20170331_17_03_26_Pro.jpg

... what was left was all polished up and 1.5 mm plate welded on top (don't have a picture of that to hand), new steps built, new sills welded in, repairs here there and everywhere ... and then he suggested we should have a look at the rear end, take out the campervan bits and see what the floor is like there. I spent a Saturday there taking out the bits, while he welded away at the front... and then this is what we found.

Oh. Bugger.

20170411_122308.jpg

20170411_122314.jpg

20170411_122254.jpg

20170411_122303.jpg

The body was no longer effectively attached to the chassis. Those of you who have read my posts may remember, I complained about poor handling and instability in high winds? Well, I think now we see why ...
CamperVanBeethoven
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby CamperVanBeethoven » Tue May 09, 2017 10:05 pm

A replacement floor was fabricated up. Including a wheel arch, constructed from scratch:

20170422_113652.jpg

20170422_113659.jpg

Here's the finished result:

WP_20170424_13_45_59_Pro.jpg

It's since been painted over with Wurth Cavity Protection Spray, and a new ply floor laid on top.

So, I'm effectively back at a blank canvas. Or I will be once I get the thing back, because next thing we're going to do (I will be doing some of the prep) is painting it! In the meantime, I've started building bits for the van. I've made five of the six sides of a gas locker from 12mm ply that came off a shipping crate (all screwed together so I can unscrew it, Sikaflex all joints to seal it, and screw it back together ...). All sides of that thing were cut by hand. My god, it took about six hours of hard labour to get to that point, as I had to take great care to get all the edges straight :(

20170507_205757.jpg

20170507_205712.jpg

Once the box is complete, I'll be cutting a hole in the front and making up a door ... once I get more wood, because I've run out! I went to B&Q, saw how much THEY charge for ply, and said forget it (especially as I knew how cheap you could get the marine ply that made up the floor from a proper timber merchant...). So either I'll get some more free ply from work, or I'll buy some ... but not from B&Q!
CamperVanBeethoven
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby CamperVanBeethoven » Sat May 13, 2017 5:47 am

Finally ...!

MOT history of this vehicle

Test date: 12 May 2017
Expiry date: 21 May 2018
Test Result: Pass
Odometer reading: 127,890 miles

Advisory notice item(s):
oil leak
under van corroded
Nearside Front coil spring corroded (2.4.C.1b)

I have no idea what the 'oil leak' is. I've never noticed a constant leak, but it does spurt a bit of oil when it starts up sometimes.

Picked up some ply from Homebase for about half of what B&Q wanted. Still haven't finished the box, been too busy with work ...
CamperVanBeethoven
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby CamperVanBeethoven » Sat May 13, 2017 3:15 pm

Had hoped to be prepping it to paint it today, but the guy wasn't well (bad back...) so instead, I fixed a minor problem that had been bugging me for some time.

The heater was always stuck on full heat. Now I had solved this in the past by finding the lever and manually flipping it down, but last time it happened I couldn't find the lever and so it's been stuck like that since December. This wasn't a real big problem until it started to get warmer again in the last few months, of course!

So, I disassembled the dash and studied the mechanism. Watched for what moved when you twiddled the dial and therefore re-found the lever that controls the flap. The failure was now apparent.

What was happening was, the cable was attached to the arm by a cable tie, and there's a round, wound-up end that goes over a post on the actuator arm ... but nothing securing it to the post! The post is D-shaped and when you turned the heater on full, the wound-up end would slip out and all that then happened when you tried to operate (i.e. get it back down from full on position) it was pushing the slack cable around and moving nothing, because the wound-up end had fallen off.

HeaterFlapActuatorArm.jpg

But how to fix this?

I am guessing there was supposed to be some kind of cap, or other securing arrangement, over the top of the post when the van was new. This was no longer present. Tried to cable tie it without success - nothing to tie to at the back. Finally a solution was arrived at:

- Wood staple from a packing crate, straightened out.
- Blowtorch
- Few inches of scrap copper wire.

The staple (about 3 inches long when straightened out - a serious staple!) was heated cherry red with the blowtorch. It was then pushed through the actuator arm to melt a hole through it. Wire through hole, cable on, secure round end of cable to actuator arm with wire, twist wire with pliers to tighten it and cut off most of the excess, leaving some for ease of tightening/removal in the future:

20170513_121153_2.jpg

Job's a good'un :)

If anyone knows what the 'correct' method of affixing the cable is, I would not mind being enlightened ;)
CamperVanBeethoven
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby ned » Sat May 13, 2017 3:27 pm

Looks like you have been busy, have you applied under body protection. N
RUST IS LIGHTER THEN CARBON FIBRE

57 transit 85t260 2.2 swb, moondust silver.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=209987

03 transit 125t280 2.0 tdci swb 229,000 miles.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=168296
ned
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby CamperVanBeethoven » Sat May 13, 2017 6:56 pm

nedforceone wrote:Looks like you have been busy, have you applied under body protection. N

If his back is up to it, he's doing Gravadax (?) tomorrow to at least the chassis bits he welded for the MOT. Maybe the entire body. Unclear ... but certainly at least the bits he welded.
CamperVanBeethoven
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby CamperVanBeethoven » Sat May 13, 2017 7:01 pm

The gas locker is almost complete. Wow, jigsaws are great :D

Cut a hole with rounded corners to get the cylinder in and out.
Hole not big enough :( OK, barely big enough but wasn't an easy in and out.

Cut it to the maximum height possible. At which point I discover the other handy feature of a jigsaw - You can use it, gently, as a sideways plane (don't force it, natch, or the blade will snap). Nice :)

Bottle now in and out easily.

Door cut, also with rounded corners.

Hinges don't fit :( I need shorter screws than any I have ... it's only 12mm ply. I took a scrap bit and checked; the shortest screws I have are still too long.

Had I not run into that problem I probably would have finished that!
CamperVanBeethoven
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby CamperVanBeethoven » Sun May 14, 2017 7:56 pm

Today I took apart the gas locker and with some Evo-Stik Sticks Like Sh*t (yes, it really is called that), which advertises itself as a flexible waterproof sealant (and so I figured it would be up to the job), I sealed up the gas locker best as I could ...

20170514_173857_2.jpg

The problem is, now I have to wait a few days for it to dry, and then sand the lot, before I can move on to the next step (varnishing) :( Gloss yacht varnish is waiting to be applied ... but I have to be patient. Meh :(

There has been a design change too. Instead of having a door, I am going to make it a rear-facing hatch, with a latch on the top. This is because of the geometry of the back of the Mk5; if I made it a hinged door it would need to stick out further and take up even more space. I can gain an inch or maybe two by making it a detachable hatch ...

And of course the reason for putting the latch at the top is: I can reuse the wood I cut out to help fashion a support at the bottom, and then I just have the catch at the top. Putting it on the side would be trickier and I might forget it's not hinged and it would fall out when I opened it. Putting it at the top is a good visual clue that it's a hatch, not a door :)

No other progress to report. Don't know whether the underside got done or not... Probably not, as he said he'd phone me and never did.
CamperVanBeethoven
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby CamperVanBeethoven » Tue May 16, 2017 11:22 pm

After a lot of sanding, scraping off glue with a chisel and fingernails, more sanding, more scraping ... I finally applied the first coat of varnish...

Not looking too bad for being made out of scrap wood ;)

Should end up looking pretty good after a few coats ...

20170516_213507_2.jpg
CamperVanBeethoven
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby ceurieusneus » Wed May 17, 2017 6:05 am

Loads of work! :shock:
Can you show pictures, how interior is improving with everything you put in again? :)
To late for me, in my ambulance conversion I should have started earlier an put pictures on the forum with everything I added... :oops:
Starting with the removal of the 4 stretcher. :wink:
Writing was not invented to look for spelling errors :wink:
Ford Anglia '62, Mercedes 200 '86, Transit ambulance/camper '88, Mercedes CE300 '89, caravan Puck '75
My ambulance conversion
ceurieusneus
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby CamperVanBeethoven » Thu May 18, 2017 9:14 pm

ceurieusneus wrote:Loads of work! :shock:
Can you show pictures, how interior is improving with everything you put in again? :)
To late for me, in my ambulance conversion I should have started earlier an put pictures on the forum with everything I added... :oops:
Starting with the removal of the 4 stretcher. :wink:

Eh well ... err ... I haven't put anything back in it yet ;)

That probably will start on Saturday ...

The WannaCry ransomware has been keeping me busy at work, so it wasn't until tonight that I got the second coat of varnish done. No picture, because it looks terrible. More runs than a cricket team :(

It is however, despite the runs, beginning to take on a lovely glossy finish. Ahh, yacht varnish! The good stuff :D
CamperVanBeethoven
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby CamperVanBeethoven » Sat May 20, 2017 9:26 pm

OK so the gas locker is not complete, but it's varnished. It looks quite nice unless you zoom in and see all the runs in the varnish ...

20170520_194332.jpg

20170520_194339.jpg

20170520_194352.jpg

Have also used some of the leftover ply to create a new thing-that-the-lights-and-the-sun-visors-go-on-to (Front roof?)

20170520_201319_2.jpg

I just need to get the bloody thing back so that I can start working on it ... :(
CamperVanBeethoven
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby CamperVanBeethoven » Thu May 25, 2017 10:06 pm

So! I now have the van back ...

First task is ... trying to clean some of the scabby rust stains off the floor mat. Bear in mind, this is the bottom of the floor mat, not the top.

20170525_211134.jpg

I made up a paste with baking soda and applied it. But I have already decided, this may be too much like hard work...

20170525_213008.jpg

So the plan now is to give that a re-soak and scrub down tomorrow, then rinse it off and let it dry for a bit ...

Followed by spraying the lot with plastic paint :P
CamperVanBeethoven
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Next

Return to Members Transit's - Progress Reports!