*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Hi, just posting my MK5 2.5D SWB HI-TOP camper build.

This forum can be used to update other members on your progress with your Transit.

Re: Hi, just posting my MK5 2.5D SWB HI-TOP camper build.

Postby dachre » Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:51 pm

I’ve started on the exhaust for the camper whilst I have some spare time.

The centre section needs replacing and as I was pricing one up I realised that I could probably build one in stainless for the same price as I could buy one. I thought if I build one in stainless it would last years and would probably go onto the next camper too.
This was the part that I need replacing.

Big hole.

All the parts were bought from Custom Exhausts in Cardiff. In all it cost about £90.00. This is the list of parts.
A bag full of Wadding, off a roll not the loose stuff.
2 meters of 2” perforated tube.
4 silencer end caps.
2” stainless tube bent to go over axel. 2 meters long.
2 swage fitting to take a 2” tube.

I simply welded the perf tube to standard tube in places to create one long section that will have two silencers. The total length ends up at about 1.6 meters long and each silencer will be about 700 mm long.

This is the tube with the end caps welded on. It’s basically the same length as the original two silencers.

When an silencer is build over 500mm long, the inner perforated tube starts to vibrate and it doesn’t matter what material it’s made out of (mild, stainless, titanium, etc) the inner tube starts to fracture and then rattles before falling apart. I can help prevent this by joining the perf tube to the standard tube in a overlapping sleeve method instead of butt welds or with strengtheners, etc. I don’t have a swage machine so I’ll strengthen the perf tube in places.

The flat sheet stainless has a small fold in it that sits inside the silencer. The strengtheners are attached to this and the perf tub.

I’ve started to wrap stainless sheet all the way around the end caps.

Stick the wadding in before sealing it up.....

That’s all in place now... it’s just being held together with spots tho.

The end caps are now welded I’ll do the rest (flanges, hangers, etc) when I have a bit more time over the weekend. The new and old exhausts are next to each other to see the difference. The stainless silencers are narrower but each one is also longer than the old ones and hopefully it shouldn’t be any louder. I made them slightly narrower because I have a water tank fitted so there is a reduced gap.

Next thing to do will be to get all the bumpers and the plastic vents which go on the side painted in silver, might be able to do this next week. After that I have to make the gas door and put a wood floor in and then MOT it....yeay......... perhaps it will be done by the end of the month... still in time for summer...... I’m actually getting excited about my old camper now....

Catch u later guys....
dachre
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Luke » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:26 pm

superb work as usual 8)
Luke
Site Admin

Postby madmark » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:28 pm

:shock: :shock: oh yes great work! 8) 8)
madmark
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby rover » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:46 pm

Fanbloodytastic :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Rover.
rover
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby intransit89 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:27 pm

rover wrote:Fanbloodytastic :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Rover.

8)
I'am the only man with no dad as i was created in a chemical spillage in a factory
intransit89
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby mantav8 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:27 pm

Genius! :wink:
mantav8
Cosworth Powered
Cosworth Powered

Postby dachre » Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:06 pm

Hey guys.. thanks for the nice compliments on how the old camper is coming along. The forum has helped me no end, being able to pick up info and the help is great.. can’t think how I got along without it....

Well, I haven’t done much this weekend.. just finishing off the exhaust.

I welded up the stainless sheet to give me a half decent cylindrical shape for the silencer. There is also flange in the foreground that I knocked up. This will join the stainless silencers to the standard down pipe.

I’ve put strengtheners at each end of the two silencers and also in between them.

Just putting the exhaust mounts/hangers in place.

This shows the middle section and the rear section together. I’m not too sure what to do with the rear section yet. I might leave it like that or I may add another silencer and fit it just after the axel if the system is still a little too loud. The people that I bought the silencer parts from gave me their off cuts and there is enough spare perforated tube and more than enough wadding to make another silencer... that was rather nice of them.... I’ll just have to see what sort of room is left under the back of the Transit after the spare wheel and tow bar brackets are in place.

I didn’t fit the exhaust on today as I was starving and wanted to ship out. I’ll fit the exhaust tomorrow if I have time.

I was just thinking.... if this exhaust is louder than the Ford standard unit I’m gonna be gutted cos id really like to quieten the camper not make it louder. Anyway... we’ll see how loud it is tomorrow...

Keep up the good work guys.....
dachre
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Luke » Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:15 pm

the only reason i could see that being too loud is becasuse its a straight through design but like you say if its too loud then adding another silencer shouldnt be much of a problem :D
Luke
Site Admin

Postby fx1 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:05 pm

Wow some excellent work done on that van!

You'll be looking for a new project soon then wont yah :wink: No one seems to want my van :cry:
fx1

Postby spudmab » Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:22 pm

top work,

do you do this stuff for a living or what?????????
spudmab
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby dachre » Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:58 pm

spudmab wrote:
do you do this stuff for a living or what?????????

...Naaaa..... Im a draughtsman..... I sit in front of my computer trying to think up ways of how not to sit in front of my computer........ :lol: :lol: :lol: :shock: :( ........
dachre
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby spudmab » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:41 am

:lol: :lol:
spudmab
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby dachre » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:30 pm

Well, I put the silencers on today and they seemed to fit alright.
This photo shows just how long they are. They have been built to fill the gap between the wheels.

This shows how the new flange fits onto the original down pipe.

This shows the gap between the prop and the silencers.

This shows the gap between the water tank storage area and the silencers. The water tank will fill the space between the sill and the far side of the chassis.

After starting the van up I think it’s just as quiet if not a little bit quieter than the standard system which is what I was after as well as a bit more room to fit the water tank. It’s just the loudness of the engine that I’m now going to have to try and sort out.... If you stick your head right next to the end of the exhaust tail pipe you can still hear the noise of the engine over the exhaust noise... So it’s still not a quiet Transit.

There are some very good threads on here about how to shut the transit up and the main one being the Sound insulation/deadening / Silence of the Di ! Is it poss? By AndyG. So this is what I’ll have to have a go at.

I have noticed one thing on the more modern MK5’s is that they had a gear box insulator fitted and a good place to start would probably be to fit one of these... Anyone know of one for sale?....

I’ll put an ad in the wanted section for this and for some Tourneo interior parts.

Anyway.. keep up the good work....catch u later guys..
dachre
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Luke » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:52 pm

dachre wrote:I have noticed one thing on the more modern MK5’s is that they had a gear box insulator fitted and a good place to start would probably be to fit one of these... Anyone know of one for sale?....
not just mk5's they were even fitted as early back as the mk3 - i have a mt75 in my cossy van and had been after one of these for ages got one now tho :D - problem is most people chuck em when they 1st do the clutch :roll:
Luke
Site Admin

Postby MinorMatt » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:18 pm

Is this the piece of foam that goes under the gaiter?
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

95 M Prototype/Mule DRW 100PS Highcube
93 L GL Minibus
96 P 150 TD 100PS LWB Hi-Top

Gaffa tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

PreviousNext

Return to Members Transit's - Progress Reports!