*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk1 LWB Ex-Feuerwehr Camper Conversion

This forum can be used to update other members on your progress with your Transit.

Re: Mk1 LWB Ex-Feuerwehr Camper Conversion

Postby Luke » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:16 pm

broon4 wrote:7" rs alloy is that a x pack i see aswell luke
indeed - well 7½" :mrgreen: :arrow: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=72969&start=75#p1148208
Luke
Site Admin

Postby broon4 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:54 pm

nice, have a soft spot for mk1 fiesta looks perfect on rs alloys.Iv'e got a old sierra cosworth im restoring
broon4
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Luke » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:36 pm

got it all ready for driving now all the steering is bolted up and the master cylinder is on - i just need to bleed the brakes through and see how it goes - fingers crossed for good weather tomorrow :D

some photos - this was modding the normal handbrake diverter to fit the mk1 as i'd lost the origanal :roll:

this was welding the top of the mk1 column to the bottom of the mk4 - the mk4 is 40mm and the mk1 is 38mm hence the 1mm jubilee clips - the angle iron was to get it square :D

and lastly the 4 different drop arms and the pas box & heavy duty burhman box

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:36 pm

eventually managed to get the brakes bled :D and ive got a half decent pedal :mrgreen: - ive also got no servo as there was no fitting on the old engine - i'll see how it drives but i might have to see if i can tap into something for a vac for it :D

I actually got it started 8) 8) - had to tow it round the block to get it going but drove it back - unfortunately it wont start now and i suspect its ran out of petrol on the drive as it slopes quite a bit :?
Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:35 pm

got it back running :D all weldings done and its booked in for an MOT tomorrow 11:00am :D
Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:47 pm

Passed MOT 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) all set for Transitmania 6 :mrgreen:
Luke
Site Admin

Postby Mr RVM » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:33 pm

Luke wrote:Passed MOT 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) all set for Transitmania 6 :mrgreen:

FANTASTIC :) Well done that man :!:
Mr RVM
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Luke » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:35 pm

cheers Gaz :D

well here she is (best side) all packed up for Transitmania 6 :mrgreen:

ive managed to move the key over so i can start it like normal but still got the speedo, lights and wipers to move across :D

unfortunatly she's running a little rough :( i looked at the plugs and they are black so ive removed the air filter - i cant see me being able to get a new one till i get back - i also thought the auto choke might be sticking so ive tiewrapped it open :| so long as it gets me there i'll be happy :lol:
Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:38 pm

well managed to limp down to transitmania and back - on the way down a flat battery and fuel leak caused a minor inconvenience but nothing that would stop me getting it there :D pritty slow on the way down as i was fully loaded and had a trailer full of fire wood but on the way back i did managed 60 at 1 point!

before i set of i binned the air filter and tiewrapped the choke flap open - i checked a plug and it was ok - so one of those issues was causing the black plugs - trying to get it started at billing i cut the tiewrap so if the choke was sticking on the plugs should be black again now as i drove back with it - i'll have to check them later :D

did manage a 1st place trophy in the mk1 class 8) - bit of a shame the mk1 turnout was a lot lower than usual :(
Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:06 pm

another weekend away in this to the revolution van meet at skegness 8)

managed to win trophy for best work in progress 8)

unfortunately on the way down the starter motor packed in :roll: and thats the final straw with this engine - i'm not fixing it, its coming out - so if your interested a genuine 10,000 mile 1.7 V4 cologne (yes not essex engine) then drop me a pm

as for the new engine :mrgreen: watch this space :lol:
Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:10 pm

been doing a bit more on the internals - trying to get the bathroom (well toilet and sink room) done 1st :) i've built all the wood frames and i'm going to line the walls with 2mm pvc sheet - i think it should be thick enough :?

ive also ordered a water tank - managed to find one almost perfect to go behind the axle 750mm wide 400mm deep and 350mm high and its 90 litres - i should even be able to get a full size spare in the original place :D

i got the tank from http://www.leisureshopdirect.com/ and it was £63 delivered
Luke
Site Admin

Postby dirtydog » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:59 pm

Depending on what PVC sheet you have it may sag/belly out if there's not enough fixings

This is the sort of stuff I've put in a few bathrooms and even kitchens.

http://www.justplasticsukonline.co.uk/A ... tails.aspx
2006 Mk7 115 350 lwb, med high top
2006 Mk7 110 350 lwb, high top camper
dirtydog
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Luke » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:35 pm

i got some today 2mm pvc sheet - it is a bit thin but i've put in quite a few cross bracings as like you say it does sag

i have got a picture but i've done a fair bit more since so i'll take another over the weekend and post that up :D
Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:39 am

here's the progress on the bathroom and also i've cut out an inner wheel arch :) - give so much more space - i could even go further without worry of the tyre being anywhere near :D

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Wed May 20, 2015 8:32 pm

well haven't touched it over the winter but now the suns back out i'm on with it again - managed to get the water tank mounted today :D
it sits neatly behind the back axle and there should still be enough room for a spare wheel in the usual place - although i will have to modify the hangers slightly

i made a cradle for it to sit in and welded some box section to the chassis then cut down some threaded rod to hang it off - works well and i have 230mm clearance to the floor i think that should be enough, but the cradle is steel so any scraping will protect the tank :D

Luke
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Members Transit's - Progress Reports!