*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

mk7 recovery truck.....

This forum can be used to update other members on your progress with your Transit.

Re: mk7 recovery truck.....

Postby Luke » Sat May 23, 2009 11:26 pm

redeemer wrote:If I m not wrong , galvanizing is done in a hot bath, therfore better check for alligment and wrappage (heat effect of expanding or soemething) :)
thats right :D but i cant see a problem with this design :D you'd only really have a potential problem if you had say the deck welded on out of thinner (say 3mm) flat sheet surrounded by thicker section not allowing expansion at the same rate! even then it wouldn't distort the frame but you might get minor distortion on the plates :)

nice work farsalvage look forward to seeing this done 8)
Luke
Site Admin

Postby farsalvage » Sun May 24, 2009 9:52 am

i was also worried about distortion, the 'bath' is 450 deg! i spoke to british metal treatments.. on the phone he told me no point as it'll bend blah blah, but bring it up and we'll have a look... he decided it would be fine as its a fairly strong frame.. i also spoke to my local trailer place... the only problem they'd had was on thin sheet items such as floors and mudguards.

my only real worry is the maniac forklift drivers, the rear ramp runners and inner mudflap holders are very fragile and i expect that'll be the first place they'll go and ram a pallet tine, still we'll have to cross that bridge when we come to it.

mk5 transit recovery who has built several trucks had his done at same place and far as i'm aware had no trouble... i robbed most of the design of his truck as my mate has it now.
farsalvage
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby mk5 transit recovery » Sun May 24, 2009 12:03 pm

farsalvage wrote:mk5 transit recovery who has built several trucks had his done at same place and far as i'm aware had no trouble... i robbed most of the design of his truck as my mate has it now.

yes the galvanisers near me are ok but as u say the forkilft drivers are animals!

galvaniseing framework is fine aslong as urve driled all ur holes!!!!!!! they wont galvanise framework with steel checker welded on as this will distort & twist as its 1 solid unit.

will look nice all coverd & bolted onto cab, ide estimte the weight to be around 2100-2200 kilo on this due to haveing abit more extras then my old 1 (1950 kilo with no winch) like towbar, ramp extension, thicker alloy & winch fitted.

do well to build a long strong truck under 2300 kilo
mk5 transit recovery
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby farsalvage » Sun May 24, 2009 1:27 pm

you've worried me now!! bloody forklift drivers i've been worrying about them bending it up since i left it there, mike the foreman at yarmouth unloaded me and couldnt have been more carefull... i expect if they do damage it they just try and blow me off like those sort of places always do..

your right about weight, i think we should be allowed 4.5ton before tachos and what not 3.5 is not enough anymore i picked up a 307 the other day. they're now what i'd call a medium sized car, bloody thing filled the bed and was more than enough weight to get me in trouble.

i'm saving for a 3.5 ton trailer and tacho, so if i get 4x4 and vans i can do them rather than turning them away like normal.
farsalvage
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby farsalvage » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:57 pm

body back from galvanzing, there was some minor fork lift damage but i managed to straighten it out ok

lots of grinding and cleaning up will be needed as there is big lumps of zinc all over the body

corner of truck, trying to show the messy bits

ready to lower onto the chassis

anti theft cap on winch bolt

another hangin picture

and mounted on

farsalvage
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Luke » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:00 pm

8) 8) 8)

usefull to have the telehandler around for putting the back on :lol:
Luke
Site Admin

Postby farsalvage » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:13 pm

yep! we just bought it to replace a 1993 matbro.. pity i didnt have anyone to help i must have been in and out of the bloody cab a hundred times!
farsalvage
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby redeemer » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:33 pm

Luke wrote:
redeemer wrote:If I m not wrong , galvanizing is done in a hot bath, therfore better check for alligment and wrappage (heat effect of expanding or soemething) :)
thats right :D but i cant see a problem with this design :D you'd only really have a potential problem if you had say the deck welded on out of thinner (say 3mm) flat sheet surrounded by thicker section not allowing expansion at the same rate! even then it wouldn't distort the frame but you might get minor distortion on the plates :)

nice work farsalvage look forward to seeing this done 8)

Good point there Luke!
farsalvage you have got some quality work there. btw that a nice tool , keep you hands healthy :lol:
Big tools like these and disel air compresors and bobcats, can they be bought over from an auction there in the Uk?? Might be worth to get there with the van and trailer and carry some stuff here :roll: :roll:
1982 MK2 SWB 2.5 DI 5 SPEED 70PS now with turbo
1982 MK2 LWB PICKUP 2.5 DI 4 SPEED

redeemer
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby ARTCARCOM » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:35 pm

good job mate galv makes a great job do you know angle youve used as ive set mine at 75 degrees and find a good angle
when i get cars to low i just pull my ramps out so wheels just on ramps and usually ok keep up good work
ARTCARCOM
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby farsalvage » Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:36 pm

i will try and post some photos of it unloaded when i get the chance... just gotta save for an led lightbar now...
farsalvage
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby ake » Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:50 pm

Nice lookin Truck and I like your JCB handler as well :)
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby farsalvage » Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:02 pm

thanks needs a lightbar though... not going to bother having it signwritten...the jcb is a godsend i've been using it to pull elder trees out today freeing up a shed that had become surrounded! it has a 4.1 ton lift capacity and turns on a penny!
farsalvage
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby ake » Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:04 pm

When i worked for myself we used to wire farm sheds using a loadall with a tatty box as a man platform :D
ake
Site Moderator

Postby farsalvage » Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:12 pm

never get away with that now!! i've been up in many roofs balancing in a bucket! ... we've now bought a sutton man platform it was £500... cheaper than a mans life...added to the hassle of a visit from hse...
farsalvage
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby ake » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:25 pm

Very true, I was lited to the top of a lamp post sittin on the backhoe bucket of a JCB 3CX once :oops:
ake
Site Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Members Transit's - Progress Reports!