*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

mk7 recovery truck.....

This forum can be used to update other members on your progress with your Transit.

Re: mk7 recovery truck.....

Postby farsalvage » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:10 pm

I just looked at the last posting date... 2009 !!!! how on earth did that happen
farsalvage
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby BigMonty » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:31 pm

Way before I joined the Forum.
Are you a lincolnshire chap ?
"You'll never beat a fool with logic or facts but you can demolish anyone with sincerly spoken nonsense"
BigMonty
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby farsalvage » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:36 pm

nope... near Norwich in Norfolk
farsalvage
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby martintransitcamper » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:03 am

Nice truck!

I'm in the planning stage of my recovery truck build, how much did it weigh in the end?

Also what size box section did you use thickness etc?
MK6 Tourneo camper/tow vehicle project :)

Wanted - Nudge bar + Roof rack(not bars) any cond
martintransitcamper
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby farsalvage » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:51 pm

make sure to post some pics of your build..... the truck with everything comes in around 2200kg. a little more now ive had full air suspension fitted and ive put on 2 stone!!

anyway all the steel was 3mm thick apart from ramp slides and bits that didn't need to be strong. I used 2mm or thinner. I think the winch mounting plate was around 8mm thick..

the aluminium tread plate is 3mm or 6mm if you count the tread part as well, its not really thick enough as its fairly weak. have to use many many pop rivets.

hope this helps.. feel free to ask if you need any help I will try and answer
farsalvage
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby farsalvage » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:37 pm

ok boys and girls after nearly two years I have finally gotten round to finishing the radio install on my truck...

bit of a test here, can anyone point out the difference from standard? this is hopefully the point...

farsalvage
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby martintransitcamper » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:10 pm

farsalvage wrote:make sure to post some pics of your build..... the truck with everything comes in around 2200kg. a little more now ive had full air suspension fitted and ive put on 2 stone!!

anyway all the steel was 3mm thick apart from ramp slides and bits that didn't need to be strong. I used 2mm or thinner. I think the winch mounting plate was around 8mm thick..

the aluminium tread plate is 3mm or 6mm if you count the tread part as well, its not really thick enough as its fairly weak. have to use many many pop rivets.

hope this helps.. feel free to ask if you need any help I will try and answer

Thanks for the info! I'm still looking for a decent luton or tipper to use.
I'm hoping my truck will be a little lighter as It will only be used ocasionally for my race car so only planning a quick cheap build
MK6 Tourneo camper/tow vehicle project :)

Wanted - Nudge bar + Roof rack(not bars) any cond
martintransitcamper
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby transitandy » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:15 pm

farsalvage wrote:I just looked at the last posting date... 2009 !!!! how on earth did that happen

You must of been really busy m8y :lol: :wink:
Lovely truck as well :) 8)
TRANSIT M8, SAY NO MORE YOUR IN...... FORD THROUGH TO THE BONE......
transitandy
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby farsalvage » Mon May 23, 2016 10:08 pm

so, im at it again.... ive had some parts arrive today.. Image

would anyone like to have a guess? there is more parts on the way i will post pics as they arrive.. as for my earlier post of my dash, as most of you know the ford radio is bigger than a double din so my new sat nav had to have an adapter fitted to make the hole the right size.. i thought it looked tacky and cheap.. so i bonded the adapter plastic bit into the dash. filled it, primed it then painted it.. i used a matt clearcoat as i think a normal clear would be to shiny and look odd.. so there it is.. it looks pretty factory now its not perfect but looks better than having that cheap bit of plastic flopping about...

on another note i went over the dartford bridge thursday... forgot to pay over the phone.. so i called them tonight to pay and i cant!! it has to be done within 24 hrs which on every other crossing ive managed to do... i now have to wait for a letter and fine of £75 quid.. which according to the chap on the phone i may get let off as its a first offence.!! i bet loads of people forget.. as i only went over and not back it just slipped my mind... ive since opened an account with them so it wont happen again. i dont go over much but bloody hell!!!
farsalvage
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby farsalvage » Mon May 30, 2016 7:25 pm

So another part has arrived Image

I have also been fitting some new lights

Ive done away with one light and put two on. On a bit of flat so they can swivel about and do ... The old fashioned 55w flood Lamps look pathetic next to the brightness of the LEDs.

farsalvage
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby snakie » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:59 pm

Hi there class build, what sort of width/length is the transit? I see you raised the runners up off the chassis, would 2" be enough plus a 2" runner, thinking of building one but not sure on sizes really.
snakie

Postby farsalvage » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:46 pm

hi, the body is 82" wide ( narrows in at the front ) its 182" long I found that's about as long as I could go without having a major overhang problem and making the towbar a bit to long for my liking... the top of the deck is 6.75" off the chassis so the mounts are about 4.75" going down to about 3 at the rear then there is "2 box laying on top for the main rails.. .. from memory as it was a long while ago now, I measured where the top of the wheels would be with the suspension on the bump stops and then allowed some more room for safety.. I wanted the body as low on the chassis as possible 1. for better load carrying 2. I very often carry pallets and IBC's etc so I wanted a bed level and flatish, but also needed a tail for loading cars... I was going to put two drop angles in but couldn't because of how the ramps are fitted into the bed...

in all honesty unless you have a ton of time on your hands and a good workshop with all the cutting welding tools etc I would just go out and buy a truck already done.. save yourself the bother and money. the only reason I built this one ( my second ) is because I couldn't find a recovery truck with a strong enough tow bar or with a bed made the way I wanted for the things I have to carry.. ( or a truck with air con and the more powerful engine ) I'm quite particular with these things and having built a truck before which I had for 8 odd years I knew what I needed to do with a new one... if you are just wanting to carry cars buy a truck already done... plus I find that most people have a truck about a year or two then realise that there is sod all money in it and end up selling it on.... unless you just really want to build one then carry on! I did make a list of all the metal I used and the sizes... IF I find it I will put it up on here for you.. cant promise anything though..
farsalvage
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Previous

Return to Members Transit's - Progress Reports!