*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

my custom/camper SWB twink project

This forum can be used to update other members on your progress with your Transit.

Re: my custom/camper SWB twink project

Postby ray900tap » Tue May 08, 2012 11:22 pm

hi all, been a while, not a massive amount to show, been held up by non important things as always...
one distraction has been a new addition to the fleet

meet my 1976 W115 240d mercedes.. picked it up needing a 'little' welding :shock: :shock: four full weekends later & all finished with a fresh ticket & its ready for a bit of daily action..

ok, my van...
very slack on pictures, sorry.. but, got a bit more welding done, pleased to say I'm nearly there now, hard with all the horrid weather, so welding has been put on hold for a while.. my insurance have put a time limit on the camper conversion so I've pressed on with that, the interior is now all insulated (cortex) etc, I've cut new ply floors, plus paneled most of the sides..
made a start on the main cooker sink unit, I built this from 12mm MDF, to full size sheets so far! pretty pleased with it tho
see here I've mocked it up in my workshop
sink will go here
hob, grill and fridge
I'm picking up hinges and latches tomorrow hopefully, going to aim to finish and prime it by this sunday :? :D

had a little mishap with the clutch :roll: so whipped the box out, new clutch etc, figured it was a reasonable excuse to paint a few bits
(anyone jealous of my 'paint booth? haha)

also painted the prop full gloss black.. but forgot to get a pic :roll:
its all fitted back up now and looking good, want to get the exhaust fully sorted now along with a few other bits to really finish the underside off... need to pull my finger out haha

still after a part number or any info on the rear bushes that sit in the chassis for the spring hangers if anyone can help?..

cheers, Ray
ray900tap
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby ray900tap » Tue May 08, 2012 11:25 pm

gavintwopies wrote:Hi there any chance you colud shed some light on the tyre size you are running on both front and rear wheels cheers.

P.S. good work on the old gal. :mrgreen:

cheers :D
205 65 14 rears
195 65 14 fronts
ray900tap
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby ray900tap » Tue May 08, 2012 11:27 pm

newquay123 wrote:
ray900tap wrote:so I set about removing the locating plates for the leaf springs with the intention of re-welding them on bottom thus place the axle above the springs..

did you just cut the old ones off and re-weld, when its lowered does it put any stress on the prop ?
cheers sam

thats it exactly, no extra stress as your just moving it up through its travel radius
cheers
ray900tap
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby County4x4 » Wed May 09, 2012 9:15 am

Nice paint. Bet the prep was fun. :wink:
Great thread, apart from the "Man Form U.N.C.L.E. villanmobile at the top! :? :roll:
:lol:
Just kidding . . .
County4x4
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby rickyb » Wed May 09, 2012 4:22 pm

i love this keep the updates coming,
im thinking of doing somthing similar.
rickyb
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby MattBlackMinibus » Wed May 09, 2012 6:44 pm

County4x4 wrote:Great thread, apart from the "Man Form U.N.C.L.E. villanmobile at the top! :? :roll: :lol: Just kidding . . .

I think that's bloody lovely 8) 8)
Still interested to know, did you need to dog leg (bend) the spring mount extensions, cos they look straight in the pictures?
Starting All Over Again
MattBlackMinibus
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby transitandy » Wed May 09, 2012 7:27 pm

I must admit the car does look very nice :)
TRANSIT M8, SAY NO MORE YOUR IN...... FORD THROUGH TO THE BONE......
transitandy
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby little mick » Sat May 12, 2012 7:16 pm

likin what u have done with ya van looks very nice mate love the wheels :D :D :D :D
little mick
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby ray900tap » Sun May 27, 2012 9:21 pm

hi all... tiny update..

remember how in my last update I said I wanted to my unit painted etc by the weekend, well I didn't get it done.. but heres a few pictures of where I'm at with it now...

holes will be a wine bottle rack 8)

the lid has two pegs which secure the grill 'door' once shut...

cupboard door..

two decent sized shelves, I'll have a light in here the comes on when the doors opened...

finally found the bushes for the rear spring hangers, going to order them tomorrow, also ordered my 'tiles' for the interior floor 8)
with the long weekend coming, I'm hoping to spend a couple of days solid on the van... maybe a decent update will follow
ray900tap
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby ray900tap » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:37 pm

hi all, another tiny update...
stripped the rear of the van out, finished a few little welding jobs off on the floor, treated, zinc primed then coated in my 'secret' formula :D

modified the rock n roll beed frame further, forgot to take pictures tho :roll: sorry, I've braced the base frame loads, as it will need to be used to mount the lap seat belts, the base frame its self will be bolted to the floor via five points to the floor and then the floor re-enforced at these points...

got a little more done on the main unit

and finally, a little picture of 1/2 the fleet as I was playing musical cars/van

cheers
ray900tap
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby ray900tap » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:12 pm

got up pretty early this morning so I could get a couple of hours on the van, wanted to trail the interior unit bed etc..

got the underfloor insulation sorted

then promptly forgot to take any other pictures until.....

going to build some draws for under the rear of the bed, also make a kick board for the front for the plug sockets, speakers etc, behind that will be the invert-er, heater and other such tat...

basically the floors down now, just need to tile it, now I know the unit and bed don't foul eack other I can get on with paint and final instillation...

now... I'm off to measure up the LPG kit I've scored for free :D
ray900tap
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby MattBlackMinibus » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:39 pm

Great work mate 8) Will you be at North Weald or TransitMania to show it off?
Starting All Over Again
MattBlackMinibus
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby ray900tap » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:02 pm

MattBlackMinibus wrote:Great work mate 8) Will you be at North Weald or TransitMania to show it off?

I wish mate, but I've got loads of riding commitments this year (bmx) few trips in Europe etc.. but I've already decided next year I'll hit a few shows..
love the way your vans coming on, looks mean as hell!

tiny update, got the flooring tiles down, just the one picture... think its turned out well?

their just extra large playing cards, I painted the floor twice with house hold gloss, once dry I used a spray contact adhesive, next I'll vanish it, probably 4-5 times sanding in-between coats... should be pretty durable then... unit woodwork is (finally) finished, now I'm stuck on what colour to paint it?.. I was going to go with the same RAL colour that the wheels are?.. but now I'm thinking Radiant red?.... :roll: any help haha

cheers
ray900tap
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby HBWC » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:06 am

that flooring is a wicked idea its giving me ideas of other things to use
HBWC
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Tattoo22 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:27 am

Yeah me too fair play fantastic idea looks awesome
Only dead fish follow the stream

Transit 80 swb MK5 electric windows,PAS, electric wing mirrors, heated wing mirrors remote central locking,mk2 mondeo revcounter, WORKING, Leather swival seats and CUP HOLDER 1999 being restored!!!!!!!!!!
Tattoo22
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

PreviousNext

Return to Members Transit's - Progress Reports!