*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Keeping 1996 Mk5 alive

This forum can be used to update other members on your progress with your Transit.

Re: Keeping 1996 Mk5 alive

Postby maciejd » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:33 am

Yeap, some clocks had amber-green background and some of them had white one. It can be clearly visible when using white LED diodes. I've got newer rev counter which is white and old amber-green speedo, temp and fuel gauges:

When I used red SMD diodes, these are all red. However the rev counter is much brighter than speedo, temp and fuel:

regards, Maciej
It's not about driving a van. It's about Ford Transit.
1996 FT Van, 525 000 km - restoration / progress report topic
2004 FT Euroline, 150 000 km - progress report topic
2008 Renault Clio, 40 000 km
2011 Renault Laguna, 90 000 km
maciejd
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby canveysteve » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:59 am

thanks iv done the switches now now for thed clocks where did you find ur leds ?
and did you try the waRNING LIGHTS ?
canveysteve
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby maciejd » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:34 pm

I've found my LEDs on something like "Polish" ebay (allegro.pl). You have to look for SMD diodes in a W5W (T10) base. Then they are easy to modify as show above and, what is more important, works pretty well with 12/14V :)

I've chosen modules 5 x SMD 50x50 as I wanted to get as much light as possible. SMD are really brigh LEDs, additionally 50x50 are quite big and produces something like 3 times more light than 30x30 diodes (if I remember correctly). If I have to do this one more time, most probably I'll got into 2 or 4 50x50 SMD per each bulb - then the light goes straight on the base of gauges. They might be brighter then :)

eBay listings

I haven't tried anything with warning lights but I'm thinking about additional light to indicate that lights are not switched on. In other cars I've got automatic day/normal lights. When switching to Transit, I have to remember about them :)
regards, Maciej
maciejd
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby canveysteve » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:48 pm

thank you il get sun orderd up
canveysteve
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby RustWidow » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:09 pm

I just have to say, what a whole load of work you have done, it's really impressive :)

Love that colour...... worth the work methinks :wink:
Old Fords Never Die - some fool keeps repairing them
RustWidow
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby maciejd » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:28 am

Ok... It is a high time for an update.

In the second half of August I found new (I mean "not used") second row from Mk7. It was pretty cheap so decided to go for it. After 400 kilometers I had it loaded :)

I decided also to find two front seats from Mk7. I found them used 40km from the workshop I bought the back row. I wasn't sure if it is possible to fit them on the original Mk5 base but... whatever. They were dirty (covered by dust) but in really good overall condition. In case of serious problems fitting them I could easily sell them.
After I got back to Warsaw I started planning the back row.

The row is mounted using original Mk7 mounting plates. My floor is a custom made and is over 1cm thicker than standard Mk7. I needed to put 4 plates (8mm thick, 60mm wide and 100cm long) on the floor and additionally smaller 60x60x8mm on them to adjust the Mk7 mounting plates. It can be seen on the picture below.
I also prepared four custom mounting plates to be fixed under the floor. These are made of 5mm steel and goes uder the chassis member ( "U" shape with large "sherrifs" through which bolts go). I think it would be enough strong to keep the row in its place.

Eight 10.9 12x80 bolts later the row was mounted. Hurray. The bad thing is that I haven't got my rubber carpet yet, so I will have to loosen them a little bit to put the rubber finally. It does not seem to be a big problem.

The front seats were much worse. There was much more adjustments and smaller or bigger things to do. First of all I asked friendly carwash to do the magic and make them looking similar to the new second row :) They did!

I removed the driver's original seat and started measuring the base and the Mk7 seat.

I decided to remove everything from the bottom of the Mk7 seat and use two 35x35x3mm plates as well as originall bolts and pads. For the thick black bolts from Mk7 I used nuts from the Mk5 seats:

Two or even three iterations of fitting. It is not perfect, the original base is a little bit wider than the adapter plates bolted to the Mk7 seat, but they fit. Of course I can do some welding and prepare more sophisticated adapter. The KISS methodology is best here I think ;)

The old Mk7 rails are to be scrapped:

Need to do some rust cleaning and painting before going further:

Finally - the driver's part is ready:

Passenger side was not so simple. The single seat has completely different base than driver's one. Fortunatelly I had my old drivers base I kept after replacing driver's seat couple of years ago.

Originally Mk5 single passenger seat rails have different placement of bolts than the driver's ones.
I had two ways: got some RHD driver's rails or weld in some plates and drill new holes. I even wanted the first solution, but getting rails from RHD in a reasonable condition is almost impossible here in Poland. The only thing I had to do is to weld in two plates to be able to adjust the bolt holes.

Two plates, 4 holes, 5 minutes of rust cleaning and here it is:

After another 2 minutes of painting and 30 minutes of waiting I was able to mount the seat in plate.

And here they are :)

Next step: finish the floor, dump all the stuff I gathered during the work I will surely not need anymore. I want to stay with one box with tools and one box with necessary stuff.
After that - CLEANING. The dust is everywhere :(
regards, Maciej
maciejd
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby xychix » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:21 am

Nice, where is the single seat (front right) going?
I've been looking to replace my mk5 2 seat-bench in front with a single seat.....
xychix
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby maciejd » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:11 pm

It hes dedicated holes in the floor - same as the driver's seat. Last time I had FT with double front seat was ... 1994 or 95, so do not remember exactly, but I'm pretty sure the holes are different for single and double seat.

You will have to find rails of the front seat and drill holes in the floor I think.
regards, Maciej
maciejd
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby xychix » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:33 pm

maciejd wrote:It hes dedicated holes in the floor - same as the driver's seat. Last time I had FT with double front seat was ... 1994 or 95, so do not remember exactly, but I'm pretty sure the holes are different for single and double seat.

You will have to find rails of the front seat and drill holes in the floor I think.

In that case i can drill and bolt any seat in. There's no reason to look for a right front seat since it need drilling anyway.....
xychix
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby maciejd » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:40 pm

xychix wrote:
maciejd wrote:It hes dedicated holes in the floor - same as the driver's seat. Last time I had FT with double front seat was ... 1994 or 95, so do not remember exactly, but I'm pretty sure the holes are different for single and double seat.

In that case i can drill and bolt any seat in. There's no reason to look for a right front seat since it need drilling anyway.....

Personally I'm trying to stick to original FT parts, even when making mods. This is why I wanted the original Mk5 seat bases when switched to Mk7 seats.

You can just take a look if there thread slots in your floor. Then it will be only about finding seat, rails and bolts :)
regards, Maciej
maciejd
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby ake » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:05 pm

The holes will be in the floor to take a single seat. They will have plastic plugs in them, below the floor mat.
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby maciejd » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:28 am

Hmm... Couple of pictures taken in the end of September last year - I mamaged to temporary fit some floor rubber. Unfortunately I wasn't able to find black one so that was the first choice from availability/price/dimensions/cleaning perspective point of view:

And finally packed for the first serious trip after repaint. Going for LEGO Fan Weekend in Skaerbaek (Danmark), 25th of September 2013:

1200 km later:

I think within two weeks I'll get the beast from the garage after over 6 months to do some cleaning and oil change - ready for next season :) This year not much will happen to the car however it is scheduled for couple of LEGO displays again, so 5, maybe even 6000 kilometers ahead before going for winter sleep again :)
regards, Maciej
maciejd
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby maciejd » Tue May 27, 2014 2:44 pm

I managed to get some new gadgest. First - the most useful and important one that adds at least 10HP - rubber for the dashboard locker:

The less important one ;) - brand new Stanadyne S26632 to replace old S33406. The old girl started to smoke black a little bit and what more irritating - the old red thick injectors are getting air when the pump is really hot.
I hope new ones from 70HP older engine will help a little and there will be no need to get the pump on a table for rebuild.

regards, Maciej
maciejd
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Previous

Return to Members Transit's - Progress Reports!