*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Looking for info on White Arrow Mk2's

Transit Mk1 & 2 Forum. All Transits 1965 - 1986

Moderator: Luke

Looking for info on White Arrow Mk2's

Postby Jim S-W » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:43 pm

Hi All

I must confess that my interest in Transits is purely from the point of view of my model making activities. I therefore will be able to offer little to the group other than pictures of models but I hope someone wil be able to help me out.

I am looking for onfo, especially on the livery, of Mk2 White Arrow transit vans. I am sure you are aware of the picture online of one rusting away in a field but the only other images I have found od white arrow vans at all are a couple of a mk3 type. Does anyone know if the livery was thhe same on a mk2 as it was on a mk3?

Thanks

Jim
Jim S-W
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Looking for info on White Arrow Mk2's

Postby transitandy » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:04 pm

An interesting point as i have never seen a white arrow mk3 van :?: welcome to the site m8y :) and would like to see some piccies of your models when you get a chance :wink: :)
TRANSIT M8, SAY NO MORE YOUR IN...... FORD THROUGH TO THE BONE......
transitandy
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Jim S-W » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:22 pm

Hi

The mk3 I found was this one - http://www.flickr.com/photos/56252091@N03/5780816939/

heres a pic of some transits on my work bench, all 1:76 scale and started out as Corgi Mk1's

Cheers

Jim
Jim S-W
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Highlander250469 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:36 pm

Yep me too :D

Have you tried asking White Arrow themselves?

I've emailed a few companys about old stuff, some ignore you, some really go out of their way to help

Some of these transport manager guys love to keep all the old pictures, might be worth a shot.
Highlander250469
MK3 Massive

Postby Jim S-W » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:52 pm

Good Idea

I once asked EH smiths for pictures of their vehicles and it turned out the MD was a truck fan and had loads. - I will see what they say.

Cheers

Jim
Jim S-W
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby transitandy » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:59 pm

I love that pic of the mk3 white arrow van and think the sliding doors are so 8) 8) 8) nice models aswell :D
transitandy
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby transitandy » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:16 pm

I looked at your photo gallery aswell :shock: : all 2175 pictures of some very nice old cars, buses, lorrys, trains ect :D
transitandy
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby malta transit » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:06 pm

Jim S-W wrote:Hi All

I must confess that my interest in Transits is purely from the point of view of my model making activities. I therefore will be able to offer little to the group other than pictures of models but I hope someone wil be able to help me out.

I am looking for onfo, especially on the livery, of Mk2 White Arrow transit vans. I am sure you are aware of the picture online of one rusting away in a field but the only other images I have found od white arrow vans at all are a couple of a mk3 type. Does anyone know if the livery was thhe same on a mk2 as it was on a mk3?

Thanks

Jim

Hi Jim, first i like to congratulate you on such a brilliant conversion on the model transits you'v converted. I collect model transits and have over 100 models in 1/43scale, but never seen any early mk2s with round headlamps. Can you put up more pictures and maybe how you have converted them.

As for pictures of mk2 in White arrow livery i don't have, but i do have this picture of a mk1 which i belive is an old White arrow livery, just had the name changed,correct me if i'm wrong.

TRANSITS KEEP YOU GOING!!!, GOING!!! AND GOING!!!!!!
malta transit
Our man in Malta!

Postby Luke » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:20 pm

certanly very similar just had the blue painted red :D

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Honey monster » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:33 pm

I worked for white arrow for a bit. There was a lad there who had been there for years.I know where he works now so will try and see him and ask if he has any pics of the vans.
Honey monster
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Vandalism » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:39 pm

loving the models jim :)

like the idea of the fog lamps in the grill but, grills are worth to much to do that to these days :lol:
Vandalism
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Jim S-W » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:48 pm

Thanks Guys

A few more pictures for you

Please forgive the none ford interlopers!

Since I took this one I have added translucent roofs to the Lutons.

Cheers

Jim
Jim S-W
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby transitandy » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:57 pm

8) 8) 8)
transitandy
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Vandalism » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:02 pm

that mk3 is an ABS kit isnt is, same as the mk2 parcel van which i am gelous of :lol: 8)

i do a bit of model making now and again enything from 1/24 to 1/76 :)
Last edited by Vandalism on Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Vandalism
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Jim S-W » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:03 pm

malta transit wrote:
Can you put up more pictures and maybe how you have converted them.

I can!

Corgi do a mk 1 Ford Transit but what I really need are Mk2's (mk3's would have just appeared in my era so they would be quite rare).

So, how to go about turning a corgi van into the later mk2 utilising the Mk2 front casting available from ABS.

First up the destructive bit.

The main pic shows the Mk 1 nose cut off. This is a straight cut just in front of the windscreen and then the body has been cut back under the windscreen to 1mm in front of the doors. The first small pic shows the trimming required to the interior for the new nose to fit and the second likewise for the glazing (originals on the right in both pictures) The glazing is simply held in place in the chopped van body and trimmed with a razor saw.

Test fit of the new nose. The rear of the nose has been trimmed slightly to fit. You can see how the body is wider than the new nose so some creativity is required.

...theres a ridge down the bonnet that lines up with the angles at the front - seemed the obvious place to make a couple of cuts with the razor saw and to spread the nose a smidge.

After a spot of filler.

For the Luton the cab (including interior and floor was cut off and a new chassis built from evergreen strip. The wheels are from Paragon Models. The box body was scratchbuilt.

the spare back discarded from the luton can then be used to stretch another van to a long wheelbase version.

the roof was built up filled and shaped and new wheel arches made. The slidy door was simply 20 thou plasticard overlaid on the van side.

Cheers

Jim
Jim S-W
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Next

Return to Mk 1 & 2