*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Adaptor plate for MT75 Gearbox to Essex V4/V6 Interest?

Transit Mk1 & 2 Forum. All Transits 1965 - 1986

Moderator: Luke

Adaptor plate for MT75 Gearbox to Essex V4/V6 Interest?

Postby montym100 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:46 pm

Ok Guys, i had a PM from a Guy called Tim (dieselhead123) explaining that there developing an adaptor plate for the Essex V6 and he`s interested in making it work for the V4 so it opens to a bigger market. So this is to gauge who is interested in a group buy, this is for the adaptor plate and UNC bolts and hopefully with the development this will work with the stock clutch, flywheel and startermotor, then all you would need to do is buy the correct MT75 and have the Prop adjusted :?:

Here`s some of the replies from Tim

Hi mate, been reading your thread with interest. You did mention about considering an adapter plate to fit the MT75 on the back of the V4.
We are working on one to fit the V6 Essex onto the MT75, it should also be of use to you to fit the MT75 onto the V4. However, as I only have a V6 engine here, have you got a picture of the back of the V4, minus the flywheel, as we would like to ensure that the adapter plates work for the V4 as well as the V6. Does the balance shaft somehow extend through the rear of the V4 block? A picture would be useful to ensure that our adapter plate is 'dual purpose'.
TIM

dieselhead123 wrote:Hi mate, thanks for the pictures. The first pic confirms that the additional hole with the three bolts around it is required for the V4 application, it appears to be the balance shaft, not used on the V6, so we will incorporate that into the design so that the adapter plate can be used on the V4 as well.
The V6 conversion will use the standard V6 flywheel and starter motor and will bolt to the back of the block in a similar way to which the Pinto to MT75 adapter plate does. We intend to supply a full set of unc bolts the correct length for fitting. We will also supply the spigot bearing, although the existing one my be correct, the test engine we have here was automatic so does not have one.
The intention is to enable the existing standard flywheels to be used, for balance purposes you will have to use a V4 flywheel on the V4 engine, we will be using the Pinto/MT75 clutch on the V6 flywheel, what diameter is the V4 clutch?
As you will be able to use the existing V4 flywheel, then your standard starter motor will be ok, so just a case of working out the clutch requirement. If you would be kind enough to let me know the diameter of your V4 clutch, we will be able to identify an appropriate assembly.
The gearbox used will be totally standard with the exception that there will need to be a small amount 'relieved' from the inside of the casting to provide adequate clearance for the starter motor, easily achieved as the gearbox casing is aluminium.
The idea is to use as many stock parts as possible and provide all fixings needed in the 'kit', this should simplify the conversions as well as keeping costs to a minimum.
Keep an eye on the 'Pinto into Mk5 = LEZ Compliance' thread as we will be posting up details and assembly instructions in there.
Thank you for your interest, I am sure that with your input we will be able to ensure that this works well for V4's and V6's alike.
TIM

dieselhead123 wrote:Hi there,
thanks for the clutch sizes, I will compare them with those for the V6 and see what we can find.
We were developing the adapter plate to allow the V6 Essex to be fitted to the MT75 box as part of our LEZ compliance conversions, (forum member Robbie Cee is first in line for the V6 Essex to be fitted in his Mk5), but having stumbled across your thread it would seem sensible to make it work for the V4 Essex as well.
We will be doing a progress thread for fitting a V6 into a Mk5. As regards a group buy thread, I would be happy for you to start this as the Mk1/2 section is not somewhere I often 'stray' :lol:
You would be welcome to quote the content of my messages within the thread as I can assure you that this is a genuine development that will no doubt be of interest to many other forum members.
As regards pricing, estimates still range at this stage, but I can say that there will be a 'forum member's discount' offered for 'kits' purchased through the forum.
Once again, thanks for your input, no doubt we will meet at one of the summer events.
TIM

Last edited by montym100 on Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
montym100
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Adaptor plate fot MT75 Gearbox to Essex V4/V6 Interest?

Postby montym100 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:51 pm

Keep an eye on the 'Pinto into Mk5 = LEZ Compliance' thread as we will be posting up details and assembly instructions in there.
Thank you for your interest, I am sure that with your input we will be able to ensure that this works well for V4's and V6's alike.
TIM

Pinto into Mk5 = LEZ Compliance Thread
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=96067
montym100
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Adaptor plate for MT75 Gearbox to Essex V4/V6 Interest?

Postby dieselhead123 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:54 pm

Right then lads, just to let you all know the progress.
A 'mock up' has been produced of the adapter plate.
My 'computer man' is due out tomorrow to 'load' the 'mock up' dimensions into Autocad so that the appropriate file format can be provided for water jet cutting.
Now we have confirmed that an additional four holes are required for the plate to fit to the rear of the V4 Essex engine, these will be included in the file.
I will post up a picture of the MT75 box fitted to our test V6 Essex engine at some time tomorrow and will endeavor to identify a suitable 'off the shelf' clutch assembly for the V4 applications to avoid the need for flywheel re-drilling.
Watch this space!

TIM
LightCommercialServices
Sales, Service and Repair for all Commercial Vehicles
Body panels manufactured and supplied
07754 806004
http://lightcommercialservices.weebly.com/
dieselhead123
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby montym100 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:43 pm

No one else Interested :?

Lets start a list

1. Monty
montym100
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby dieselhead123 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:51 pm

Just a couple of pictures to get you lads all excited :lol:
This is the 'mock-up' plate showing the Mt75 on the Essex engine.
TIM
LightCommercialServices
07754 806004
dieselhead123
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby montym100 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:36 am

Top work :mrgreen:
montym100
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby montym100 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:26 am

Couple of more photo`s for Tim

End Plate

montym100
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby jc_durrant » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:40 pm

Hi

I am interested chaps, I would like to know what parts I would need to make it work, from what I can gather I would need the adaptor plate, mt75 box, clutch? and modified prop?

I have an essex v4 2.0l

Thanks

James
NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE! I JUST HAVEN'T DONE IT YET!
jc_durrant
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby montym100 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:29 pm

jc_durrant wrote:Hi

I am interested chaps, I would like to know what parts I would need to make it work, from what I can gather I would need the adaptor plate, mt75 box, clutch? and modified prop?

I have an essex v4 2.0l

Thanks

James

WoW, someone showing interest :shock: :lol:

This will need to be answered by Tim, were hoping the stock clutch, fly and starter will work ok and i`m sure Tim will confirm this once he`s done the testing on the Essex V6 then hopefully i can test on the V4 as there is a slight difference.

Require at this point,
MT75 gearbox (maybe Tim could tell us which model as there several types)
Cutsom built cross member as the V4 is bolted to the floor IIRC. My intention is to get the Mt75 box from a transit and get the Cross member from the same model, then chop/modify to fit
I would then imagine the prop Shaft will need Modifying too.

Anyone else :?:
Lets start a list

1. Monty
2. jc_durrant
montym100
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby dieselhead123 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:13 pm

Good evening gentlemen.
Some further explanation of what we will achieve.
We will be producing an adapter plate, similar to the one Fords used to fit the Pinto engine to the MT75 box in the Mk3's.
This will be bolted to the rear of the Essex engine in place of the thin back plate, it will locate on the dowels in the engine block and be bolted to the engine using the existing threaded holes with the bolt kit we will supply.
You will then need to re-fit your standard Essex flywheel together with the appropriate clutch.
The Mt75 gearbox will then be fitted to the rear face of the adapter plate in much the same way as with Pinto.
You will need to use the Mt75 box from a 2.5di or Pinto engined Transit, not the 2.0dohc petrol one.
You will need to have your propshaft altered, you will also need a replacement clutch cable and speedo cable. The gearbox cross member will need some modification. We hope that in the long term that we will be able to assist with these parts.
If any of the above is unclear or you need further information, please post below.

TIM
LightCommercialServices
07754 806004
dieselhead123
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Dirty Habit » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:39 pm

I would be interested in an adaptor for V6 :)
Dirty Habit
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby montym100 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:45 pm

Dirty Habit wrote:I would be interested in an adaptor for V6 :)

Anyone else :?:

1. Monty....V4
2. jc_durrant...V4
3. Dirty Habit...V6
montym100
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby mk2 cav dan » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:10 pm

can ya put me down for 1 please !!!
mk2 cav dan
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby dieselhead123 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:32 pm

Hi lads, just a progress update;
The cad drawing has now been completed so I shall be visiting the water jet cutter next week to arrange for the first sample.
We will then have to carry out some machining, some holes will need tapping for threads and some will need counter sinking.
We hope to have got this far by the end of next week.
Next stage after that will be engine mounting and power steering pump brackets.

Thanks again all of you who have expressed an interest, pictures soon :D

TIM
LightCommercialServices
07754 806004
dieselhead123
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby montym100 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:17 am

dieselhead123 wrote:Hi lads, just a progress update;
The cad drawing has now been completed so I shall be visiting the water jet cutter next week to arrange for the first sample.
We will then have to carry out some machining, some holes will need tapping for threads and some will need counter sinking.
We hope to have got this far by the end of next week.
Next stage after that will be engine mounting and power steering pump brackets.

Thanks again all of you who have expressed an interest, pictures soon :D

TIM

Tim,

Hows the conversion going?
montym100
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Next

Return to Mk 1 & 2