*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk2 Kingpins. Any short cuts?

Transit Mk1 & 2 Forum. All Transits 1965 - 1986

Moderator: Luke

Re: Mk2 Kingpins. Any short cuts?

Postby mb4ever » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:26 pm

baconsdozen wrote:I used an old heavy sledge hammer as I said in my post,and a heavy lump of wood as an anvil
To drive the pin out I used an old knackered T bar spanner which is just smaller than the king pin.
My assistant was there to keep an eye. As for how to swing a hammer and hold the punch etc,nearly fifty years of experience comes in handy.(Sorry if that sounds big headed but if I didn't know how to swing a hammer by now I never will).

:)

My word, that's a handsome looking gaffer you've got checking your work.

Got it, the head of the sledge held the end of the axle up just above the wood.
Very neat.

You held the drift steady with one hand, and wielded your hammer with the other hand.
I like the ingenious way you used a T-bar and extension to keep your mit away from the danger area by the way.

How did you keep the axle steady while you were holding the drift with one hand and wielding the hammer with the other hammer though please?
Always the tricky part I find.
mb4ever
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby bortaf » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:05 pm

Dam you was jammy there, last time i did a MK2 i had to leave the kingpin on a 40tonn press overnight and came in the next morning to find bits all over the workshop :lol: glad i wernt ther when it released cos something went through the garage roof panel above the press :shock:
Current fleet
Mk7 transit ambulance
Mk1 tourneo connect
Mk1 Mondeo 1.8 STD
Mk5 fiesta 1.25
Fusion 1.4TDCi
bortaf
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby baconsdozen » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:22 pm

I've never used a press,the hardest one I ever had,needed the axle heating to get it out and a good pummeling with a 7lb hammer. I've been lucky I suppose.
I expected these to be horrendous as the axle and trunnion assembly were found in a garage pit half full of water and had been there some time,presumably the grease had kept the water out but I half expected the king pins to be rusted in.I wanted the axle etc to convert my Mk1 to disc.
On the other end of the axle are all sorts of bits of wood holding it steady held on with G cramps. For hammering out the king pins themselves the wife was persuaded to stand on one end.
The gaffer is an Italian mastiff called Patti. She has a habit of chewing hammer handles,it does make them easier to grip with oily hands but the downside is you are likely to get splinters.
baconsdozen
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby mb4ever » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:43 pm

bortaf wrote:Dam you was jammy there, last time i did a MK2 i had to leave the kingpin on a 40tonn press overnight and came in the next morning to find bits all over the workshop :lol: glad i wernt ther when it released cos something went through the garage roof panel above the press :shock:

You'd recommend wearing an armoured crotch box when sorting a Transit king pin then Bortaf? :lol:
mb4ever
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby mb4ever » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:48 pm

baconsdozen wrote:I've never used a press,the hardest one I ever had,needed the axle heating to get it out and a good pummeling with a 7lb hammer. I've been lucky I suppose.
I expected these to be horrendous as the axle and trunnion assembly were found in a garage pit half full of water and had been there some time,presumably the grease had kept the water out but I half expected the king pins to be rusted in.I wanted the axle etc to convert my Mk1 to disc.
On the other end of the axle are all sorts of bits of wood holding it steady held on with G cramps. For hammering out the king pins themselves the wife was persuaded to stand on one end.
The gaffer is an Italian mastiff called Patti. She has a habit of chewing hammer handles,it does make them easier to grip with oily hands but the downside is you are likely to get splinters.

Right, thanks, you had an oppo steady the axle while you thumped the king pin out then?

Nice dog, shame about the hammer handles.

I think it depends on how tight the pin it when it goes in.
I suspect that some king pins cold weld themselves to the axle.
mb4ever
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby davev6newman » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:13 pm

:shock: Gulp :!: I think i will send my kingpin set back :!: :lol:
davev6newman
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby mb4ever » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:23 pm

davev6newman wrote::shock: Gulp :!: I think i will send my kingpin set back :!: :lol:

No Italian mastiff then Dave? :lol:
mb4ever
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby davev6newman » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:08 pm

No just a rotweiler indoors....making the tea :lol:
davev6newman
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby mb4ever » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:28 pm

davev6newman wrote:No just a rotweiler indoors....making the tea :lol:

A very well trained Rotweiller then?
mb4ever
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby baconsdozen » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:01 am

Despite the fact that one of the thrust bearings was quite badly damaged and the other wasn't that far behind I was a bit disappointed on my test run.The steering isn't much lighter and I was hard pushed to notice any difference in self centering or what ever.
Bugger.
I suppose with difference in tolerances on the axle ends and king pins then some will be tight to get in or out and some relatively loose. They should be a tight fit but someone told me they needed a 100 ton press to fit one and that can't be right or even safe.
baconsdozen
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby mb4ever » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:45 am

baconsdozen wrote:Despite the fact that one of the thrust bearings was quite badly damaged and the other wasn't that far behind I was a bit disappointed on my test run.The steering isn't much lighter and I was hard pushed to notice any difference in self centering or what ever.
Bugger.

:(

Have you checked: -

.........................Castor?

.........................Toe in?

Did you grease it with the weight on?
As well as with the weight off?

baconsdozen wrote:I suppose with difference in tolerances on the axle ends and king pins then some will be tight to get in or out and some relatively loose. They should be a tight fit but someone told me they needed a 100 ton press to fit one and that can't be right or even safe.

Urban myth I expect.
mb4ever
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby baconsdozen » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:28 am

Checked and greased everything.
baconsdozen
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby mb4ever » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:15 am

baconsdozen wrote:Checked and greased everything.

You greased the pins twice then?

Have you got radials or cross plies on the front please?
If you have radials, suggest you try later toe in and castor.
Late vehicle were designed with modern tyres in mind.
Mk1 wasn't.

Reducing castor makes steering lighter. :D
It also encourages wander. :(
mb4ever
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby baconsdozen » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:58 am

I've got a radial on the drivers side front and a crossply (8 ply rated) on the passengers because I keep hitting the kerb.
baconsdozen
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby mb4ever » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:02 am

baconsdozen wrote:I've got a radial on the drivers side front and a crossply (8 ply rated) on the passengers because I keep hitting the kerb.

:?:

You serious?
mb4ever
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

PreviousNext

Return to Mk 1 & 2