*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

MK 1 front leaf springs

Transit Mk1 & 2 Forum. All Transits 1965 - 1986

Moderator: Luke

MK 1 front leaf springs

Postby Ellwood » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:35 pm

My Mk1 right front leaf spring suddenly went soggy, so today i thought i could use one from my mk2 which is lying doing nothing. Anyway when i`d got both springs off i saw the MK1 is more curved, and a couple of cm shorter -probably due to the curve. Also the MK1 front bolt is 19 mm diameter, the MK2 is 18. so i thought OK might as well try the MK2 on anyway. It did go on , but didnt give any more height to the wheel arch than my soggy MK1 spring. So i greased the bushings and put the MK1 back on, and it seems to be OK again - could it have been those bushings were causing it to stick somehow ? I havent had time to drive her around yet, to see if it sogs down again.

PS when loosening that front bolt there is a lot of pressure on the spring, even if its jacked up. So any budding spring changers - be careful of your fingers when removing that bolt.
Ellwood
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: MK 1 front leaf springs

Postby bluewelly » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:46 am

Hi just a note for safety you should have had both sides jacked up and both wheels free from the floor. The reason you had preasure on that bolt is because of transfered preasure from the non jacked side Hope this helps you keep all your fingers
bluewelly

Return to Mk 1 & 2