*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Engine Numbers

Transit Mk1 & 2 Forum. All Transits 1965 - 1986

Moderator: Luke

Engine Numbers

Postby dredds » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:37 am

Sorry to be a bore, but I am asking the question that many have asked before, but I still cannot find the answer...
I have stuck a 2.5di into a 1971 bmc ambulance, and I need to let the dvla know the new engine number, along with the change of fuel and engine capacity, and change the taxation class to Historic. I cannot find it in any of the places mentioned on this forum in the past... Have looked around the engine mounts, on the front pass side above the sump, near the lift pump etc, and cannot find a number anywhere. The likelihood is that it is an early 90s motor.

Also should tell dvla about the engine change in the mk2 bus that I blew last summer, but cannot find a number on that one either! Nor on the spare I have from a mk3!

Sorry for the repeat question, but judging on the amount of times this has been asked over the last years, maybe a definitive answer could be posted in FAQs?

Many thanks...
dredds
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Engine Numbers

Postby FredTransit » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:09 pm

I wouldnt panic mate. By all means get your paperwork up to date if you feel better about it, but dont expect the DVLA to make it easy! Whilst you shouldnt need any documentation for changes to Historic vehicles, you might get some misinformed DVLA bod who will tell you otherwise. The PLG Mk2 might be more trouble. They may want invoices (inc fitting) to make any changes. Is your Mk1 not already Historic tax class then? The Post office should be able to do this now. I wouldnt do more than one change at a time as it gives the DVLA a headache and they will send the V5 back with only one change anyway :lol:
A Transit is for life, not just for Christmas. http://www.a2ecommercials.webs.com
My galleries - http://a2ecommercials.webs.com/apps/photos/
FredTransit
Mk2 Trannyist

Postby dredds » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:12 am

Hi Fred...

The 1971 ambulance isn't historic at the mo as last time it was on the road was 1978! Post Office can't make any changes, so have to go via dvla. Unfortunately, the paperwork shows a 1998cc petrol engine too, so I guess insurance is invalid if I have any probs and they spot that... I guess I will just say there is no number, as there isn't one listed currently in any case...

The mk2 Bus I cannot even tax at the local post office! Have to go to a major one as it is still registered as a bus (not the camper conversion that it now is...) and they cannot tax buses. But its cheaper to tax as a bus so no great encouragement to change it to PLG! Was fun trying to get insurance tho - the conversation was " what is it?" "a bus" "how many seats does it have?" "one". It blew their minds... These people don't like things that don't fall into boxes do they?!

Anyway, off to wrap up in red tape and tick a few boxes...
dredds
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby FredTransit » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:21 am

when did you ask at the PO about tax class change? They started doing changes in January after most DVLA offices closed. Same with taxing some classes, they didnt used to tax HGV, but they do now. So check about the bus. As for the insurance, as long as you have spelled out what engine it actually has there shouldn't be a problem.
A Transit is for life, not just for Christmas. http://www.a2ecommercials.webs.com
FredTransit
Mk2 Trannyist

Postby Mr RVM » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:29 am

FredTransit wrote:when did you ask at the PO about tax class change? They started doing changes in January after most DVLA offices closed. Same with taxing some classes, they didnt used to tax HGV, but they do now. So check about the bus. As for the insurance, as long as you have spelled out what engine it actually has there shouldn't be a problem.

I'll second that :!: (changed my little van from health service vehicle to PLG at post office in jan) they couldnt previously do it
Mr RVM
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby dredds » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:21 am

Tried to do it last week once it had been MOTd, but maybe its just another service that our village posty can't perform... But also was told on the phone by dvla that they were the only ones who could do it... Will try in town to see if the major posty can help! Thanks!
dredds
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby FredTransit » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:13 pm

sadly, many POs are either misinformed/make it up/too lazy to do stuff they can do. Hilariously I was once told the only way they could accept my 'any vehicle' trade policy for tax was to have a letter on company headed paper stating the reg of the van I wanted to tax. WTF? Whatever. Now they dont even need proof of insurance....
FredTransit
Mk2 Trannyist

Postby dredds » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:25 pm

Thanks fo the advice - the major post office can indeed change class to Historic Vehicle! The chap at the DVLA did not know what he was talking about. Brilliant!
dredds
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Mk 1 & 2