*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Strange request regarding front axle ....

Transit Mk1 & 2 Forum. All Transits 1965 - 1986

Moderator: Luke

Strange request regarding front axle ....

Postby krswen » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:17 am

I have a 1974 Panther J72 which I've been told used Ford Transit front spindles on a custom-made chrome plated beam axle. I would like to disassemble the assembly to check for wear (the car is 40 years old), although I don't feel any undue play when I swing the axles around. There appears to be a large pin which has the Ford logo embossed on it. There is some kind of rubber seal at both the top and bottom. There is a bolt with a jam nut about midway along the pin.
Is there a service manual available or description for how to disassemble the axle?
I took some photos but I don't see any option to attach them to a post ... or am I missing something?

Ken
krswen

Re: Strange request regarding front axle ....

Postby baconsdozen » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:59 am

The bolt with a 'jam nut' is Im guessing the cotter that holds the pin. There are plenty of posts on here describing how to strip and remove the king pins and bushes. There is no need to dismantle to check for wear,jack it up under the axle and holding the wheel check for tilt and lift. Its easier to tighten the wheel bearings first of get someone to hold the brake pedal down to eliminate bearing play.
baconsdozen
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Return to Mk 1 & 2