*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

mk2 2.4d 120 van prop shaft hanging - parts needed

Transit Mk1 & 2 Forum. All Transits 1965 - 1986

Moderator: Luke

mk2 2.4d 120 van prop shaft hanging - parts needed

Postby 4ft » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:56 am

Morning Gents

2 out of 3 UJ´s are hanging, centre mount hanging. Might go some way to explaining the noise and vibration :shock:

Problem of the day is that the knuckles that accept the caps of the uj on the rear of the front prop shaft have been smacked sometime in the past and are now oblong with cracks through the casting. Its a bit chronic like :? Getting them out might be possible but for sure the cracks get worse and getting nice new uj fitted without mangling it seems very unlikely.

The knuckles in question seem to be part of the prop that unbolts from the front section so I was hoping to find that part and be happy, but it seems not. The casting has a part number that is worn and alien looking (I6314Z8).

Overall the total prop length is about 170cm (where do you measure from?) and about 50mm diameter.

so, does anyone have the removal knuckles from the rearward end of the front prop section for sale, or a complete shaft would also be of interest.

thanks

4ft
4ft

Re: mk2 2.4d 120 van prop shaft hanging - parts needed

Postby 4ft » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:10 pm

Morning,

In case anyone has similar problems, I resolved this by taking the whole shaft to a local engineering firm.

The damage was worst on the centre joint, the section that is secured by a central bolt and would normally be removed to change the donut rubber. The guy was able to get it apart and then ground into the cracks and welded them up. The new shells went in and only the super long grease nipple heads were fouling a bit,but thats a problem that can solve itself, or shorter nipples can be fitted.

Cost me 120 euro, dropped of friday and picked up monday afternoon.

Its like a new car :lol:
4ft

Return to Mk 1 & 2