*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Back to square one :-(

Transit Mk1 & 2 Forum. All Transits 1965 - 1986

Moderator: Luke

Back to square one :-(

Postby Di Jack Regan » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:04 pm

I consider myself quite lucky until recently when my rebuilt Type 9 box started to make some very unhealthy noises. My last box broke the lay shaft, so had it rebuilt by a "so called renowned" Type 9 rebuilder on 31st july last year. Now just under a year later and only about 1500 miles, the frigin lay shaft bearing has gone again along with something else that i cant recognise as the noise is horrible. And only given 6 months warrenty :x :x

Whats my choices??

1) Another rebuild by someone else
2) Change to a MT75 box and make another hole in my floor :(
3) Go for the low mileage 2.5 banana with MT and fit the whole lot ( as my engine is nice but has never stopped leaking)
4) Find a stock York with box and keep it original

Most importantly, is there someone "Reputable" who can do a banana/MT conversion properly. Someone whos done a good job before and would like to do another one, im getting too old for this poo :oops:
Di Jack Regan
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Back to square one :-(

Postby Neil » Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:26 am

jack, its an on going project with any old van its running 40 year old bits and they will fail, the big plus is bits are cheaper and you can do a lot yourself but if your getting fed up its time to go newer :(
Neil v6
Neil
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby jonochap » Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:43 am

Regan! (shouted in a 1970's cop show way) i feel your pain :( when my second t9 did 18 miles alot of folks said mt75. I went the 4 speed hd route and so far so good. We never really found out what made the t9's blow up...
Owner of not so troubled puk :)
jonochap
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby limitedblack » Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:40 am

Dieselhead123 (Tim) is an expert on any engine box combination. Perhaps a pm to him to see what he suggests. From what I've read type9 boxes seem to fail in the transits, but like all things some folk are lucky and some are not.
Happy Easter
limitedblack
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Muttley » Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:18 pm

I got a Yorkie and H/D 4 speed :D
Expert burns receiver.
Bodger Extraordinaire!!
Old Fords never die, however, mine are on life support
Fallen in love/hate with Mk6s
Muttley
MK3 Massive

Postby DougT » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:47 pm

I suspect the problem with T9 and Transit is that actually T9 and Diesel do not mix. I have had my T9 rebuilt for connection to 2.8 V6 by BGH but was warned - "Do not let the engine labour as this is what kills them. They need to be run at reasonable speed for oil to get round"

I haven't fitted it yet so I will see whether I am doomed to the same problems as everyone else.

But if there is any truth in the problem being to do with "labouring", then a low revs but torquey diesel is going to cause a T9 to fail. And therefore if you are keeping with diesel, I would go for a different box.

Doug
DougT
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Luke » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:51 pm

also the type 9 needs to be the long input shaft one or it wont enter the spigot bearing :idea:
Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:52 pm

Luke wrote:also the type 9 needs to be the long input shaft one or it wont enter the spigot bearing :idea:
actually that depends on what engine its fitted to ............................ but still a thing to consider :D
Luke
Site Admin

Postby jonochap » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:03 am

Ive been told never a t9 with a diesel, or single piece prop...
jonochap
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Neil » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:54 am

jonochap wrote:Ive been told never a t9 with a diesel, or single piece prop...

run a swb mk 1 van like that for 5 years with no problems but the prop was 2 part
Neil v6
Neil
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby jonochap » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:56 pm

Interesting :)
jonochap
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby limitedblack » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:27 am

My Lada has a type 9, single piece prop and about 160 bhp, and that's run for 2 years ok. Mind you I don't give it a long prognosis.
Happy Easter
limitedblack
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Luke » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:25 am

its the weight of the van more than the power :D
Luke
Site Admin

Postby FredTransit » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:32 am

Jono I was just gona say that about the T9 and single piece prop. Theres no play for movememt, which means the box cops the momentum when there is any. That said the thing that did it for me was failure in a Mk2 XLWB luton. In Germany. With no warning. Again that would point to wieght.
A Transit is for life, not just for Christmas. http://www.a2ecommercials.webs.com
My galleries - http://a2ecommercials.webs.com/apps/photos/
FredTransit
Mk2 Trannyist

Postby dieselhead123 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:32 pm

HI there Mr Regan, sorry to hear that your Type 9 has failed, again!

As posted by Like and others on this forum, it is clear that a Type9 is somewhat unsuited for the heavy weight Transit, particularly with a decent diesel engine up front.
Perhaps when the Type9 was new it would have stood some chance but however well, or otherwise, it is rebuilt, the majority of the components are likely to be well past their 'sell by date'.
You do as Muttley says, have the option of installing the 'heavy duty' four speed, if you can find a good one that is not just as 'old and worn out' as the van it came from.

There are a number of advantages to be had with the Mt75, the overdrive fifth gear being the main one, this will improve your vehicle's cruising speed, reduce fuel consumption, reduce engine wear and make the vehicle more 'usable'. The Mt75 is also commonly available and can be easily replaced should a failure occur in the future, reducing cost and downtime. There is no need to replace your York when fitting the Mt75, but if you chose to fit a Di then you would have the advantages of improved performance, better starting, (even if your York is in top-notch condition), plus more readily available and cheaper engine parts when they are required.

We would be happy to advise further regarding your options and it would be a pleasure to carry out the work for you if you wished.

TIM
LightCommercialServices
Sales, Service and Repair for all Commercial Vehicles
Body panels manufactured and supplied
07754 806004
http://lightcommercialservices.weebly.com/
dieselhead123
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Next

Return to Mk 1 & 2