*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

HELP WANTED PLEASE

Transit Mk1 & 2 Forum. All Transits 1965 - 1986

Moderator: Luke

HELP WANTED PLEASE

Postby Aussie Ice Cream Van » Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:12 am

Hi Guys, im am stuck in a really bad situation with our recent conversion.The diff ratio in our MK1 is not suited and i am looking for a 3.5 or 3.7 ratio, as the engine is over reving at 60kph, making it hard to drive on the roads, our Mk1 diff is a 4.63, i recently purchased a MK6 transit cab chassis rolling shell, to use the 4.63 diff from that and source a 3.77 ratio, as i have now found out the Mk6 i has a ford diff, not a DANA 60, which would allow me to use that ratio, the diff will also need some bracket modifcation, to suit the Mk1, can anyone please offer some info on how i could source a 3.5 or 3.7 ratio, to considerably bring the revs down on our motor before it blows up, cheers
Aussie Ice Cream Van
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: HELP WANTED PLEASE

Postby conrod » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:03 pm

I have a "hybrid" rear axle in my Mk1, made by cutting the centre out of the Transit axle casing, and welding a nine inch centre in. Axles are still standard Transit, although I am not sure how they mated those to the side gears in the diff? Mine has 3.25 ratio, but anything from 2.5:1 to 6.5:1 is available:)

Another guy over here has a dual wheel van similar to mine, and his axle is a 2.77, made by cutting out the centre setion, and welding a Falcon Borg-Warner unit it. Again not sure how shafts fit into side gears.

Conrad

conrod
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Re: HELP WANTED PLEASE

Postby Aussie Ice Cream Van » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:53 am

hi mate thanks for the reply, the vehicle near weighs 4 ton loaded, so I am worried about a 9" not doin the job, or bein to weak, do you know of anyone on this site, that knows all the specs on mk6 a G-type diff, like ring gear size, etc..., as a dana 60 internally looks very simular, I hold hope that mixing and match the internal gears mite work, cheers
Aussie Ice Cream Van
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Mk 1 & 2