*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

mk1 mk2 mk3 drop arm

Transit Mk1 & 2 Forum. All Transits 1965 - 1986

Moderator: Luke

Re: mk1 mk2 mk3 drop arm

Postby Luke » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:12 am

Neil wrote:
Luke wrote:ok to add i think the burhman and the standard are the same fittings - just the burhman one is thicker :D

the burhman h/duty was also fitted to mk 2

i take it that still had the column joined to it :?: or was it seperate like the mk3's :?:
Luke
Site Admin

Postby conrod » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:51 am

Luke wrote:also a bit more info to fit the mk3 pas box into the mk1/2 you need the mounting plate off a mk3 as the holes are different - with the mk3 plate you have the option to fit all the boxes - you just use the holes to suit

here's a pic of the mk3 mounting plate

Yep I was quite lucky and bought mine with that plate :)

conrod
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby oldskooler » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:57 pm

all great info there luke, looking at the mk3 pas box and mk3 heavy duty box, the drop arms look very similar. i wonder have they the same tapered spline where they go onto the box?? i imagine a heavy duty burhman would be slightly more common than pas mk3,s

the reason i ask is while i done a lot of research on alternative pas boxes to fit to mk1/mk2,s the closest thing i could find was one from a jeep cheroke (would need to be from an lhd one mind) could be made to fit without too much chopping etc but it has a cranked drop arm which deffo wouldnt work, ..........but heres the interesting bit,....the mk3 pas drop arm will fit straight onto the cheroke spindle!! it has the identical 3 position master spline!

so i was thinking if the heavy duty arms are same as pas ones and not that scarce the jeep cheroke box mite be a viable option as theyre cheap to buy on the bay etc :idea:
oldskooler
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Luke » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:04 pm

oldskooler wrote: i wonder have they the same tapered spline where they go onto the box??
once i've pulled this arm off the h/d box i'll see :idea: - but at a guess i'd say not :(

infact even if i cant find my puller to get the arm off i'll measure them at least if it was a no we'd know for sure :?:
Luke
Site Admin

Postby Neil » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:07 pm

Luke wrote:
Neil wrote:
Luke wrote:ok to add i think the burhman and the standard are the same fittings - just the burhman one is thicker :D

the burhman h/duty was also fitted to mk 2

i take it that still had the column joined to it :?: or was it seperate like the mk3's :?:

yes standard column all in one
Neil v6
Neil
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Vandalism » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:59 am

all interesting reading, keep it up :)
Vandalism
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Previous