*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

mk1 mk2 mk3 drop arm

Transit Mk1 & 2 Forum. All Transits 1965 - 1986

Moderator: Luke

mk1 mk2 mk3 drop arm

Postby Luke » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:12 pm

whats the differences between the drop arms :?:

as far as i know mk1 and mk2 are the same :?: am i correct :?:

mk3 has a larger tapered bore where it meets the drag link :!: but is it the same on the splined end :?:

the mk3 pas arm is bigger on the splines and obviously has a mk3 taper on :D

so could a mk3 drop arm fit a mk1/2 box and vice versa :?:
Luke
Site Admin

Re: mk1 mk2 mk3 drop arm

Postby Luke » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:41 pm

ok i've answered 1 question just fitted a mk2 arm to a mk3 box - seems to go on ok but i havent tightened it up fully :D
Luke
Site Admin

Postby conrod » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:34 pm

do keep us updated pls, I know you appear to be having a discussion with yourself at the moment, but I am interested in the results :)
conrod
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Luke » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:49 pm

conrod wrote:do keep us updated pls, I know you appear to be having a discussion with yourself at the moment, but I am interested in the results :)
:lol:
i need to write these things down - half the time i search stuff and find it was me who did it years back and forgot all about it :lol:

also it would seem the thread on the link bar is is M16x1.5 (LH one end RH the other)

there is also the heavy duty burhman box fitted to some mk3's - so far i believe that has the same fittings as a standard mk3 box except the arm is bigger
Luke
Site Admin

Postby conrod » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:53 pm

cheers Luke,
FYI, I have a Mk3 PS box that I am fitting to a Mk1. I do have the Mk3 drop arm, but have read that the taper to the steering link arm is larger. Probably not a biggie to make a new "hybrid" link arm, but always curious to know if there is a better way to do things.
conrod
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Mr RVM » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:14 pm

conrod wrote:cheers Luke,
FYI, I have a Mk3 PS box that I am fitting to a Mk1. I do have the Mk3 drop arm, but have read that the taper to the steering link arm is larger. Probably not a biggie to make a new "hybrid" link arm, but always curious to know if there is a better way to do things.

the threads are the same on the link rod fitted to both so you can just fit the ends with the correct taper ie in your case a Mk3 end for the drop arm and a Mk1(possibly also Mk2) end at the stub axle end

I have a complete new drag link with ends in the parts for sale section (I think it must be for a Mk1 or 2 as the ends have a smaller taper than the ones that came off my Mk3 truck) the rod is the same length with the same threads
Mr RVM
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Luke » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:21 pm

that isnt the same with the early mk1 tho - the link bar threads are different - ive got a mk2 link bar i'll have a look at that - at the moment ive got a mk3 non pas box fitted and a mk3 link bar and i cant find the drop arm to fit the mk3 box - the only one ive got i cant split from its box - ive fitted a mk2 drop arm to the mk3 box but as of yet cant fit it to the mk3 link bar
so if what you are saying is right then all i need is a mk2 (or late mk1) track rod end then it'll all fit :D
Luke
Site Admin

Postby Mr RVM » Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:30 am

Luke wrote:that isnt the same with the early mk1 tho - the link bar threads are different - ive got a mk2 link bar i'll have a look at that - at the moment ive got a mk3 non pas box fitted and a mk3 link bar and i cant find the drop arm to fit the mk3 box - the only one ive got i cant split from its box - ive fitted a mk2 drop arm to the mk3 box but as of yet cant fit it to the mk3 link bar
so if what you are saying is right then all i need is a mk2 (or late mk1) track rod end then it'll all fit :D

Sounds about right (wished we'd figured this out earlier as I have a load of track rod/drag link ends that I accumulated while looking for new bits for my truck) and could have stuck one or two in the package (most of the ones I have are 16 X 1.5 so would fit your link rod and there are about 3 different sized tapers :!: I definitely have an end for a Mk3 drop arm and the new complete kit will have the smaller end for axle end of rod
Mr RVM
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Luke » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:10 am

well if it works i should have the bits to mix and match - i am wondering if there is 2 sizes for the mk3 :idea: because i fitted a mk3 front to my mk1 and didnt change the drop arm (on the list) but the track rod went in but didnt go all the way - this one ive got from the pas mk3 front wont go in at all :?

this looks like the area to adapt mk3 to mk1/2 when people do the swap - enough people have done it so there must be an easy way :lol: - mine though now should be complete mk3 box, links and beam :D
Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:46 pm

ok bit more info

i've got 4 different types of drop arm (i'll add a photo later)

mk3 pas

mk3 heavy duty

mk3 standard

mk1/2 standard

these are all different - the one i can't releaase is off the burhman heavy duty box so i dont know about the splines

also the mk1/2 and mk3 link arms are different the mk3's are the M16 with a lock nut and the mk1/2 are bigger and clamped to lock

but for the moment i am sorted i can fit the mk3 arm to my van and it gets me going :mrgreen:
Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:40 pm

ok to add i think the burhman and the standard are the same fittings - just the burhman one is thicker :D
Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:42 pm

here's the pic

top left mk3 pas box and arm

middle is the mk3 standard drag link - there is a pas one thats heavyer duty but the same threads on the end

top right it the mk3 burhman heavy duty box

and the 2 arms are mk3 left and mk1/2 right

not sure of the taper sizes but the nut on the small end of the drop arm is (spanner size)

mk1/2 - 19mm
mk3 normal 22mm
mk3 pas 24mm
Luke
Site Admin

Postby bambi mk 1 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:20 pm

Luke the mk3 balljionts changed midlife if I recall correctly.The mk 2 drag link is also different to the mk 3.The mk 2 is a tube and the mk3 is a solid bar as in photo.As you are fitting a mk 3 axle have you the mk 3 brackets on the axle.Measure your tapers and I think QH list them in their book .Give Muttley a pm he may have mk 3 bits. Posting bushes in the morning.PS I think the balljionts changed with the mt 75 gearbox and pencil injectors late 88.
On the sixth day God created a Sprinter on the seventh he gave it away and bought a TRANSIT
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Neil » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:00 am

Luke wrote:ok to add i think the burhman and the standard are the same fittings - just the burhman one is thicker :D

the burhman h/duty was also fitted to mk 2
Neil v6
Neil
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Luke » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:11 am

also a bit more info to fit the mk3 pas box into the mk1/2 you need the mounting plate off a mk3 as the holes are different - with the mk3 plate you have the option to fit all the boxes - you just use the holes to suit

here's a pic of the mk3 mounting plate

Luke
Site Admin

Next

Return to Mk 1 & 2