*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Supervan 1

Transit Mk1 & 2 Forum. All Transits 1965 - 1986

Moderator: Luke

Supervan 1

Postby conrod » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:37 am

does anyone have a pic of Supervan 1 with a good shot of the wheels? I have a few pics, but all I can see is a polished rim, with black centre. Really interested to see what style of wheel it is, so I can find something similar for my project.

conrod
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Re: Supervan 1

Postby Neil » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:47 pm

well its built on a ford gt40 chassis so the wheels are probably gt40 racing wheels of the day :?:
Neil v6
Neil
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby conrod » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:37 am

Neil wrote:well its built on a ford gt40 chassis so the wheels are probably gt40 racing wheels of the day :?:

I had a look at GT40 wheels, and many of them ran the Halibrand wheels, but I don't think the GT40's ever ran wheels as wide as Supervan.

I read somewhere that the wheels were custom made for Supervan 1 (and leaked like sieves!) I have watched the video footage, and it appears they are centrelock wheels. It also appears the rears and fronts are the same width, the eyecrometer reckons they are around 15 inches wide, unfortunately there are not many road car tyres available in that width! I had 15x13 rears and 15x10 fronts fitted in the photo earlier in this thread, and I think that would be the minimum width required to make it look convincing. Supervan always looked completely outrageous on its oversize wheels, and if someone were to build a replica on say 8 or 9 inch wide wheels it just wouldn't look the part. I guess in the absence of any good pics I will just find a rim with a similar looking polished outer section, and paint the centres black.
conrod
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby oldskooler » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:53 am

i wonder would it be possible to get half decent looking steel rims and get em banded out to your desired width. those ones on supervan are so wide you dont take much notice of the centres.
oldskooler
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby limitedblack » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:40 am

It's should be back on the road next year, so you just need to wait.
Happy Easter
limitedblack
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby conrod » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:41 am

oldskooler wrote:i wonder would it be possible to get half decent looking steel rims and get em banded out to your desired width. those ones on supervan are so wide you dont take much notice of the centres.

Getting wheels of the right width is not a problem, here it is pictured with 13 inch wide rears, and 10 inch wide fronts. They are steel rims, and FARKIN heavy! I was more interested in getting a set of rims with a similar shape to the originals. Trainspotter stuff I know, but thats the way I am :)

limitedblack wrote:It's should be back on the road next year, so you just need to wait.

How do you know this? Would be fantastic to see it again!
conrod
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Neil » Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:38 pm

can you get the tyres to fit them
Neil v6
Neil
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Supervan 1

Postby limitedblack » Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:06 pm

conrod wrote:
oldskooler wrote:i wonder would it be possible to get half decent looking steel rims and get em banded out to your desired width. those ones on supervan are so wide you dont take much notice of the centres.

Getting wheels of the right width is not a problem, here it is pictured with 13 inch wide rears, and 10 inch wide fronts. They are steel rims, and FARKIN heavy! I was more interested in getting a set of rims with a similar shape to the originals. Trainspotter stuff I know, but thats the way I am :)

limitedblack wrote:It's should be back on the road next year, so you just need to wait.

How do you know this? Would be fantastic to see it again!

I've now spoken to three people that all know of this van, and the fact that it should be back out for the 50 year anniversary.

Afaik it's a replica only, but an exact copy with the Eagle engine. The original was sold off without the engine, then it was possibly stolen. The "new" one has been constructed using the original drawings, and some of the original people have been involved.
Happy Easter
limitedblack
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Neil » Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:55 pm

was it stolen :?: from who :?: theres lots of mystery and stories about it ive heard 3 versions
Neil v6
Neil
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby limitedblack » Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:01 pm

Neil wrote:was it stolen :?: from who :?: theres lots of mystery and stories about it ive heard 3 versions

Me too, not sure what is correct. It depends who you talk to.
Happy Easter
limitedblack
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby conrod » Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:50 pm

Neil wrote:can you get the tyres to fit them

yes, tyres are available, although expensive. The original ran race tyres of course,which are easier to get in those widths

limitedblack wrote:I've now spoken to three people that all know of this van, and the fact that it should be back out for the 50 year anniversary.

Afaik it's a replica only, but an exact copy with the Eagle engine. The original was sold off without the engine, then it was possibly stolen. The "new" one has been constructed using the original drawings, and some of the original people have been involved.

That sounds promising, and next year will be a special one for the Transit turning 50 and all, so would be great to see Supervan resurrected, even if it is just a good replica. Sounds like it will be a good effort if they have gone to the trouble of sourcing a Gurney Eagle for it.Any idea where it is being built?

Mine will just be a "lookalike" with the engine in the front, although it already has a 302 V8 fitted. I do plan to get the bodywork exactly right though, with the exception that mine will still have the side loading door. And wheels were such a big part of the look, so these have to be convincing too.

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=150681

I knew Terry Drury when I was working in the UK in the early 1990's, he had a workshop in Essex. He used to supply us engines for rally cars.
conrod
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby limitedblack » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:23 pm

Believe it's still in the Essex area.
Happy Easter
limitedblack
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby bambi mk 1 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:15 pm

limitedblack wrote:
Neil wrote:was it stolen :?: from who :?: theres lots of mystery and stories about it ive heard 3 versions

Well I still have mine :o Its in my display case :lol:
On the sixth day God created a Sprinter on the seventh he gave it away and bought a TRANSIT
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby conrod » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:38 pm

bambi mk 1 wrote:
limitedblack wrote:

Well I still have mine :o Its in my display case :lol:

Mine will be soon too, had to pay €70 for it on fleebay :shock:
conrod
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Vandalism » Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:55 am

will be very nice to see it indead 8)
Vandalism
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Next