*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Essex V4 to Essex V6 engine change

Transit Mk1 & 2 Forum. All Transits 1965 - 1986

Moderator: Luke

Essex V4 to Essex V6 engine change

Postby Tech56 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:05 pm

Hello,

I want to change the Essex 2.0L V4 of my Transit MK1 to a Essex 3.0 V6.
I want to use my original 4-speed J2 typ gearbox, clutch and bell housing.
This means the V6 flywheel is to big in diameter and I have to use the V4 flywheel.
I have read before that this can give ballance problems and according the Haynes MK1 workshop manual, the v4 flywheel only fits at one position. The reason can only be ballancing?
What is the best alternative flywheel in this situation?

Is there any information about the engine mounts to use?
Thanks for the replies!

Pieter.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tech56

Re: Essex V4 to Essex V6 engine change

Postby Tech56 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:27 pm

Does somebody know the outside diameter of an Essex V6 3.0 flywheel?
The V4 flywheel is 315mm. Has the V6 Flywheel the same?

Pieter.
Tech56

Postby Ellwood » Thu Dec 25, 2014 2:59 pm

I am gonna do the same thing (with a v6 Essex 3 litre engine). have also heard the v4 flywheel and bellhouse must be used. Apart from that i dont know anything.
Ellwood
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby DougT » Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:56 pm

I am using the Taunus V4 flywheel in my conversion from Taunus V4 to Cologne V6. I got my V4 flywheel checked out at an engineering shop before I commited to go that route because I had also heard different stories about whether it was possible or not. Their comment was that you need to look at both sides and see if there are any obvious lumps as the amount of metal needed to balance the V4 is quite a lot so is obvious. The lump would usually be on the back of the flywheel ie not the part that you see when you remove the clutch so you need to remove the flywheel and inspect it.

The other thing the engineering shop said was that it is unlikely that any engine will be fitted with a balance shaft and also have the flywheel made so that it also balances the engine. You do one or the other but not both. If I remember, the Essex V4 has a balance shaft so the V4 flywheel should be usable on the V6, but I would get the flywheel balance checked for the right balance anyway. If the V6 flywheel is larger than the V4, then also I would suggest you check out whether you can get a V4 diameter clutch which will take the increased Torque of the V6. Getting the right clutch was the hardest part for me in using the Taunus V4 flywheel.

Doug
DougT
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Ken B » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:55 pm

I'm sure I posted this on here before somewhere. But in the dim and distant past I fitted a V6 to my mk1 Transit using the original V4 flywheel. That didn't work as it nearly shook the van to bits. I ended up having to a get a 3 litre flywheel.

Edited to add:
It also says in the Haynes book of Transit that the flywheel is suitably balanced to work with the balance shaft. So if the V6 hasn't got one I read that as it wont work. Its the same manual I had and didn't bother to read back in 1984 when I did the conversion lol
ImageImage
Ken B
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Mk 1 & 2