*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

mk2 not starting

Transit Mk1 & 2 Forum. All Transits 1965 - 1986

Moderator: Luke

mk2 not starting

Postby drdee » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:11 pm

my mk2 county has a bannana di in,it used to be a 2.0l petrol so im using the original steel tank,we put a extra pipe in to the sender for the return from the di,im finding it hard to start off the key,soon as ive cracked the injectors it fires straight up and will run all day so its dragging air from somewere or the tank isnt suitable for deisel,question is has anyone had this problem and found a solution?im pondering on fitting a connect tank in as its got a electric pump onboard so do away with the lift pump on the di.....any help or advice would be good :)
......always on a mission.......
drdee
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: mk2 not starting

Postby Kedishen » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:55 pm

Search for Leak off Mod as a common problem is air getting trapped at one of the injectors which must be bled.

Also, common air leak spots are at lift pump connections, and badly fitting fuel filters (on push fit type with black twirl knob) or cracked fuel filter housings.

Having been petrol, there will be a filter on the end of the pipe in tank that gets blocked.. worth blowing the line through...
Livin' in me van in Portugal.

'93 Mk4 TD 150L Hitop Custom Camper
100ps Epic blue spot
Kedishen
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby drdee » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:49 am

thanks for that,ill have a good search later,theres no obvious leak but then again there dont have to be i suppose,if i cant find one new plastic fuel lines and a connect tank is my next option....it dont help that the monkey who i got it off fitted the engine had also crammed newspaper and filler into the chassis and sills...top guy :shock:
drdee
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby FredTransit » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:22 am

Like kedishen said, the tiny filter on the pick up can get blocked, also diesel is fractionally thicker than petrol so the filter doesn't handle it well.
It' most like air somewhere in the system. We never changed any of the tanks on our conversions, so doubt that's causing you any trouble.
A Transit is for life, not just for Christmas. http://www.a2ecommercials.webs.com
My galleries - http://a2ecommercials.webs.com/apps/photos/
FredTransit
Mk2 Trannyist

Postby baconsdozen » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:22 pm

On a similar note I spent a couple of days tracing an air leak into the fuel system on my taxi. It turned out to be a corroded fuel line near the tank,not enough to let fuel out but enough to draw air in with the engine running.I only found it when I rigged up a temporary tank and plumbed it in directly to the lift pump,then moved it downstream to each of the joints and tested it each time.
baconsdozen
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby drdee » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:36 pm

thanks....i think the plan is to pull that filter off and check from the tank forwards at all fuel line conections,and fred..what did you do with the return pipe?
drdee
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby FredTransit » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:28 pm

:oops: can't remember sorry! I'll ask Muttley, he will be nearer to one of em than me tomorrow
A Transit is for life, not just for Christmas. http://www.a2ecommercials.webs.com
My galleries - http://a2ecommercials.webs.com/apps/photos/
FredTransit
Mk2 Trannyist

Return to Mk 1 & 2