*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Need advice..

Transit Mk1 & 2 Forum. All Transits 1965 - 1986

Moderator: Luke

Need advice..

Postby bulls in transit » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:38 pm

Engine problems on my 1968 ex german fire van,vans all original mechanically,got it with 14 k(k/l) on it,covered up to 20 k with no problems at all(converted back to camper,drove round France and Spain),around 21 k van wouldnt tick over,changed points,plugs,filter,oil etc,ran fine for about 400km then ive had nothing but headache with it,new rotor arm top contact split(shitty intermotor part), found leaky vacum hose to distributor,same with vac.hose from manifold to rocker,changed fuel pump( new one leaks oil,will replace with electric and regulator,any ideas on what pressure a standard fomoco carb should run at,haven't got a return fuel line hence regulator),rebuilt carb,engine was rattling on over run from what i thought was valves,got stephascope from fleabay an there was a noisy rocker,changed and adjusted,van ran well for about 80 km,then wont tick over again,and feels down on power,no pull.
Going up rev range sounds ok,trottle off rattles,not valves this time,going to take heads off for a look,think poss.cam,ends,balance shaft etc,how do i check?
Im in Spain van seemed ok yesterday,started to drive to ferry,after 1 st 10 km wouldnt idle,rattle seemed worse,ferry was 350km away,so i dont think it will make it.
Reading other threads( Ralphs),it did have semi synthetic oil in it for 1000km,now its mineral,before that it had what the Fire service put in it( i assume).
Ive only got two weeks before my insurance runs out,i need to get back to UK to MOT it,pretty f##ked,
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436726257.410536.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436726294.860350.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436726321.695003.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bulls in transit
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Need advice..

Postby Luke » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:59 pm

can you do a compression test??

sounds pritty bad tbh :( but at least you'd have a better idea on the fault if you could ct it :idea:

van looks beautiful btw 8)
Luke
Site Admin

Postby bulls in transit » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:19 pm

Was going to try garage tomorrow to see if they will come to do a compression test,seems prob with no 4 cylinder/ right side( looking from front,noise seems to come more from that side,at moment when i take plug lead off 4 doesn't affect running,but has spark,ive checked valves with rocker covers off,they look like there operating,clearances are correct etc.
So probs further in,not good....
bulls in transit
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Ralph.9 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:20 pm

Mine started running rough last week, it wouldn't tick over, was difficult to start and kept dropping a cylinder or 2 so we gave it a full service on Friday. I got half way to the 50th at Dunton about 40 miles when there was a vibration and the ignition light came on i managed to coast to a lay-by. The crank had broke i think the problems stemmed from to much crankcase pressure there was oil leaking from any where it could. All my problems started after i changed the oil, i used 20/50 mineral. Do the german engines need a specific oil?
Ralph.9
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Luke » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:29 pm

Ralph.9 wrote:Mine started running rough last week, it wouldn't tick over, was difficult to start and kept dropping a cylinder or 2 so we gave it a full service on Friday. I got half way to the 50th at Dunton about 40 miles when there was a vibration and the ignition light came on i managed to coast to a lay-by. The crank had broke i think the problems stemmed from to much crankcase pressure there was oil leaking from any where it could. All my problems started after i changed the oil, i used 20/50 mineral. Do the german engines need a specific oil?
snapped crank :shock:
i never changed the oil out on mine but topped it up with any oil i had - didnt even bother with a specific grade and never had any issues (oil related) but i always planned to swap my engine out :)
Luke
Site Admin

Postby 1958 harry » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:40 pm

Funny this.

My 2.0 Pinto ex german fire van is having very very similar issues.

Most started after I changed the oil.

Very very poor running when hot (have now replaced entire ignition system and now have a new Weber carb ordered), rattling from the top end when hot. Not solved either issue yet.

I'm wondering if the germans used different oil and the engines got to like it. Mine also had the wrong oil filter, for a Zetec engine which is how it came from Germany.

Be good to find out what oil they used in them, might save us all problems.
VW Transporter Combi van
VW Beetle 2.0 tintop
Audi Q3 Quattro SLine Plus

Grown up in/around Transits, my dad has a 2010 115 T350 Transit
1958 harry
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby bulls in transit » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:01 pm

Haven't had vibrations,but symptoms sound similar to Ralphs,didnt,leak oil at all before changing oil,now is,oil sounds like the cause,the cure ain't so easy ,wonder what the german engine should have?,maybe i dont have to change the fuel pump again,but what have i got to do to stop the leak!
bulls in transit
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby 1958 harry » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:13 pm

Mine has ford stickers all over it from work in 09 and 2011.

I've found the closest main dealer to where my van was I might ring them tomorrow see if they know anything...
VW Transporter Combi van
VW Beetle 2.0 tintop

1958 harry
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Ralph.9 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:14 pm

This all sounds very similar, i had no problems with mine until i changed the oil about 10 days ago. Since then nothing but trouble, it ran even worse after a service, plugs points, condenser etc. It seemed to have far to much crankcase pressure, i removed the breather but it was spraying oil everywhere so i put it back. When i lifted the bonnet in the lay by oil was leaking from everywhere. Its just brought forward the engine change but i also need an English mk1 gearbox as i have a 2l V4 to fit. This was the only MK1 i had that was road worthy!
Ralph.9
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby 1958 harry » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:22 pm

This is very strange. Mine is acting exactly the same. Not leaking oil yet though, but it's running so badly I've not really driven it.

I think we need to find the german oil specs asap.
VW Transporter Combi van
VW Beetle 2.0 tintop

1958 harry
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Luke » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:25 pm

good job i never changed the oil on mine :lol:

i would have thought a pinto would be the same whatever country its from :? obviously the german V4's we know less about :(
Luke
Site Admin

Postby Neil » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:28 pm

Luke wrote:good job i never changed the oil on mine :lol:

i would have thought a pinto would be the same whatever country its from :? obviously the german V4's we know less about :(

is the v4 slightly differant :?:
Neil v6
Neil
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Luke » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:30 pm

german V4's are cologne engines ours were essex engines - is that what you mean?
Luke
Site Admin

Postby 1958 harry » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:34 pm

I wish I'd have never changed the oil on mine!

The Pinto should be the same you'd hope but if its always had some weird oil in it the engines tolerances have grown used to it, ive put different oil and it doesn't like it.
VW Transporter Combi van
VW Beetle 2.0 tintop

1958 harry
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby bulls in transit » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:40 pm

Just went on read the original sticker on the rocker of my van,does this mean anything to anyone:- translated from german,use correct oil only!
Then one line ESE-M2C96A next line ESE-M2C101B Service,underneath summer/winter 10w30w,optional 10w40w.
Its got to be in the ESE bit,id read this label before initially changing oil,but used 10w40w semi synthetic,not fully mineral oil.
The engines the original blue,numbers matching original docs so i assume stickers not a repo,some of it you can't read because of scratches,but this translated is the bit where it say refer to manual,i got a translated one from motomobil,it just repeats the 10w 30w,10w40w,or alternativley 20w50w if used in warm temperatures
bulls in transit
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Next

Return to Mk 1 & 2