*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Conrod's Supervan 2

Transit Mk1 & 2 Forum. All Transits 1965 - 1986

Moderator: Luke

Re: Conrod's Supervan 2

Postby conrod » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:55 am

Originally posted June 22nd 2017.

Reposted here because photobucket are b*stards and have removed third party hosting unless I pay them a ransom!

Time has been marching on, and I haven't touched the van for ages, as I have been so busy with other things.So I decided to book it in at work, as we have a new fabricator just started, and he is rather good! First job was to make the trans mount, and exhaust system. The trans crossmember is a tubular design, from 1 3/4" roll cage tubing. The exhaust is TIG welded 304 stainless, 2" primaries into 3" main pipe, and large muffler with side exit pipe.

019.JPG

002 (4).JPG

001 (3).JPG

006 (3).JPG

004 (2).JPG

Next week will be a new engine crossmember and mounts, to a similar tubular design as the trans mount. Also a swirl pot for the fuel injection, weld in the battery tray on the RH side, wiring, fuel lines, air intake, etc.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
conrod
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby conrod » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:00 am

Originally posted June 22nd 2017.

Reposted here because photobucket are b*stards and have removed third party hosting unless I pay them a ransom!

exhaust fitted today :)

001 (2).JPG

002 (3).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
conrod
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby conrod » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:02 am

Originally posted June 24th 2017.

Altransit wrote:Handy to have those facilities, and to know people like that 8) :mrgreen: :D :D
conrod
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby conrod » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:58 pm

Just got the engine crossmember built. I wanted to make a proper crossmember with engine mounts welded to it, rather than the original style setup where the engine mounts just hang off the side of the chassis rails. So I got some 63mm black pipe bent to shape, drew the engine mounts and had them laser cut and folded, and got our fabricator to weld them up. Really pleased with the result, ties the chassis rails together, and is very strong.

002.JPG

004.JPG

005.JPG

006.JPG
conrod
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby V184 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:32 pm

looking good 8)
V184
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby oldskooler » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:42 am

wow, havent looked in on this one for a while....really sweet work going on there.

nice job on the steering column...really cool that the mk5 rack coupling fits the pas box.

i take it you got my pm re pas box plumbing. :wink:
oldskooler
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby conrod » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:33 pm

oldskooler wrote:wow, havent looked in on this one for a while....really sweet work going on there.

nice job on the steering column...really cool that the mk5 rack coupling fits the pas box.

i take it you got my pm re pas box plumbing. :wink:

thanks for that, trying to do it right! I have been referring back to your thread quite a bit on the power steering!

Cheers for the message, that is very helpful :)
conrod
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby robbie.cee » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:13 am

Awesome work mate!!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
2.9i 24v cosworth v6 LSD now fitted and quad pipes out back

Had
X-Reg Mk5 150ps 3.0 ESSEX V6
MAKE IT FIT

RIP Kirk Bacon aka Eugene Speed
robbie.cee
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby conrod » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:39 am

been busy last week on the van!
As you all know, the old Transits did not have fuel injection, and the fuel tank is not set up for this. So I built an aluminium collector pot, which the high pressure pump sits inside. A Facet low pressure pump lifts fuel from the tank, via the original pickup, and feeds into the collector, with a breather/overflow going back to the tank. The high pressure pump feeds fuel to the engine via a high pressure filter, and the return from the engine feeds back into the collector pot.

conrod
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby conrod » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:40 am

The other job, was to mount the ARB's. I had a pair of 27mm bars custom made, and mounted the front bar to the front axle, using the U clamps and brackets supplied. I made my own top mounts, and welded these directly to the front subframe that the engine hang off. For the rear bar I drilled through the shock mount brackets, welded captive nuts inside, and bolted the clamps to these. I made my own chassis brackets, and welded these on.
That should stop the rockin' and rollin'! :)

[url=https://postimg.org/image/735dz3srp/]Image[/url
conrod
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Altransit » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:15 am

This is not just a project, this is a work of art :shock:

Truly awesome looking job there 8) 8)
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby conrod » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:20 am

Thanks Al! :)

I have been busy on the van, and finally got it running and driving today!! Very impressed with the way the new engine goes, considerably more power and torque than the old engine. The first bootful I gave it left two big black lines from the RH side wheels! Sounds great too with the new big bore stainless exhaust :)

To give an idea, my daily driver is a Mondeo ST220, which is a reasonably quick car. The Transit has very similar acceleration to the Mondeo, and jumps harder off the line, thanks in part to the shorter diff ratio, auto trans and higher power output.

Anyway, still a number of jobs to finish off on it, but really nice to have my first drive in just over a year. The power steering is fantastic too -so light compared to the heavy manual box it had fitted :)

the new Lokar shifter- nice piece but what a mission to fit and get working properly!

and just after the test drive this afternoon. Engine cover not fitted, and still some tidying up and finishing off to do.

conrod
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby conrod » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:40 am

New blower pulley arrived today - smaller pulley = more boost! :)

I removed all of the wiring, pipework, radiator etc and gave the engine bay a paint in Ford Diamond white :)

conrod
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby conrod » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:39 am

I got the van back together yesterday, and drove it around today dropping off some parts for work. A few minor issues to sort, but it runs really well! Anything more than half throttle from a standstill will turn 2 of the 4 rear tyres into tyre smoke! The power steering is fantastic, although a bit "pointy" now, I will fit another castor wedge in there to try and help with this. The new big bore stainless exhaust sounds so sweet, not too noisy when you are cruising, but has a nice deep bark when you put the slipper in! Still need to fit the evaporator into the heater box and connect up the air conditioning, but other than that it is basically finished. Super happy with it! :)

A few pics of the finished product:

The pulleys run really close to the radiator fans! I also fitted a smaller pulley to the blower to up the boost to 10 psi ;)

Mk3 power steering box, with hybrid Mk2/Mk5 steering column:

I needed to make an extra auxiliary wiring loom for the engine, and fitted relays to the headlights, and horn while I was at it. That is 7 micro relays, 4 mini relays and 16 fuses!

I tried to make it look as "factory" as possible, so moved the battery tray to the RH side, and fitted the original airbox (which I had to modify a little bit) to the LH side.

conrod
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby conrod » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:55 am

conrod wrote: The power steering is fantastic, although a bit "pointy" now, I will fit another castor wedge in there to try and help with this.

Today I removed the castor wedges from the front axle, they measured 1.5°. I nicked the ones out of one of my other vans, which were a whopping 5°! I fitted them in, and took it for a spin. Steering is fantastic now, weighted a bit more, it has slowed down the over responsive "turn in" that was slightly scary, and the van is steadier at motorway speeds, it pretty much eliminated the wandering I was experiencing. Another box ticked!
conrod
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

PreviousNext

Return to Mk 1 & 2