*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Conrod's Supervan 2

Transit Mk1 & 2 Forum. All Transits 1965 - 1986

Moderator: Luke

Re: Conrod's Supervan 2

Postby conrod » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:20 pm

Originally posted December 5th 2015.

Reposted here because photobucket are b*stards and have removed third party hosting unless I pay them a ransom!

went to friends place to pick up some parts today. He backed out his German firevan so that we could get at the storage area. Thought it was a good opportunity to snap a couple of pics of an early Mk1 sitting next to a late Mk2 :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
conrod
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby conrod » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:20 pm

Originally posted December 5th 2015.

Reposted here because photobucket are b*stards and have removed third party hosting unless I pay them a ransom!

Luke wrote:excellent 8) 8) 8)
conrod
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby conrod » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:21 pm

Originally posted December 6th 2015.

transitandy wrote:What a fantastic set of pics 8) 8) 8)
conrod
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby conrod » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:21 pm

1958 harry wrote:I love this van. Fantastic looking van!
conrod
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby conrod » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:28 pm

SV2 was bought with the intention of becoming my new tow vehicle, to replace my LDV 400 "police van". I went and got a quote for a towbar to be made for it, and was a bit shocked at the price of $1000 (£500) so I thought, "bugger that, I will make one myself"

I really wanted a detachable towbar, so I scoured trademe (NZ version of Ebay) and found a NOS Westfalia kit for a Subaru, which was rated at 1800kgs. I bought this, and set about chopping it into small pieces. In the end I used only the gooseneck, receiver, and a section of the square crosstube. I drew up some templates on autocad for the side and centre brackets, printed them out and a bit of a test fit, then sent the drawing to the shop to have them cut out of 10mm steel plate on the waterjet.

The main side brackets needed a couple of kinks to follow the chassis rail,and then another test fit before welding, and they fitted a treat. Got my fabricator to weld them up for me, my welding is okay, but needed the skill of someone really good for this job, as failure is not an option!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
conrod
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby conrod » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:30 pm

And what better way to test it than find one of the most expensive race cars in the workshop, put it on the trailer and take it for a drive 30 minutes across town!

Van towed beautifully, and has plenty of power for the job. All up, I came in a few hundred dollars shy of the price I was quoted to make a crappy fixed towbar, and this included me buying a 50mm gooseneck as well, because the kit came supplied with a 1 7/8" gooseneck. So I am a very happy chappy : )[/quote]
conrod
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby conrod » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:33 pm

Originally posted December 15th 2015.

Luke wrote:nice work 8)
conrod
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby conrod » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:33 pm

transitandy wrote:8) 8) 8)
conrod
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby conrod » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:36 pm

A more "appropriate" load today, off to a TV shoot early tomorrow morning with another Mk2 in tow :)
conrod
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby conrod » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:41 pm

Altransit wrote: 8) :D
conrod
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby conrod » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:42 pm

Originally posted December 19th 2015.

just bought another engine for SV2. Very similar to the one already fitted, but has an extra pulley on top ;)
Last edited by conrod on Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
conrod
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby conrod » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:43 pm

Originally posted December 27th 2015.

oldyellar wrote:Fantastic looking van 8)
conrod
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby conrod » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:45 pm

Originally posted January 6th 2016.

Christmas pressie arrived today on a pallet, looks really good :) That will make the old girl boogie!
conrod
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby conrod » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:46 pm

Originally posted January 10th 2016.

robbie.cee wrote:You lucky Lucky man!
conrod
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby conrod » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:39 am

Originally posted January 13th 2016.

twofords wrote:Nice that should make a difference 8)
Last edited by conrod on Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
conrod
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

PreviousNext

Return to Mk 1 & 2