*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Fuel filler neck assembly needed for SWB Mk II Tranny...

Transit Mk1 & 2 Forum. All Transits 1965 - 1986

Moderator: Luke

Fuel filler neck assembly needed for SWB Mk II Tranny...

Postby Mike_Walsh » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:14 am

Morning, all; new member here.

Got a '79 Mk II SWB motorhome, with the 2-litre Pinto engine. The old girl's had a fair bit of work done in recent years; rad replaced (from a Toyota), also alternator, ignition (>electronic), propshaft re-balanced +new bearings, exhaust system, reversing light switch on gearbox, fuel pump, water pump, various bits of welding, various electricals, etc., etc.....you name it, it's needed fixing or replacing. :lol:

It's that time of year again (the dreaded MOT! :roll: ), and the testers reckon the fuel pipe filler neck assembly has a split on one of the 'bends'. Now, I'm guessing these are like as not rarer than hen's teeth nowadays; would anybody have any suggestions as to modern equivalents that would do the job (with minimal modification, preferably)?

Any suggestions, or advice, would be very much appreciated.

Cheers.

Mike Walsh. :wink:
Mike_Walsh

Re: Fuel filler neck assembly needed for SWB Mk II Tranny...

Postby Neil » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:10 pm

the metal or the flexi hose :?: :?:
Neil v6
Neil
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Mike_Walsh » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:04 pm

Hi, Neil. Thanks for replying.

Sorry, my bad; the flexi hose.....NOT the metal 'stub' it joins to. From the filler cap assembly down to the tank connection. Are there any relatively modern equivalents known to work with these.....and which are readily available?

Don't mind getting me hands dirty; bit of an occupational hazard with these old girls! After all, she is 36 yrs old; she's like me....getting a bit creaky these days. :roll:

Mike. :wink:
Mike_Walsh

Postby Ralph.9 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:16 pm

I probably have them, I'm braking a MK2 at the moment. I will have a look at the weekend.
Ralph
Ralph.9
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Mike_Walsh » Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:38 am

Hi, Ralph. Thanks for the reply.

Ah; that could be handy. Depends on the condition, of course; being rubber, they're all going to be the same sort of age, and therefore probably the same sort of condition. I've been hearing about some stuff called 'self-amalgamating' tape (apparently it was developed for the Army), which 'fuses' to itself, and anything it's wrapped round.....and it's supposed to be petrol & oil resistant. No idea where you'd get it from though (if it's even available to the general public...)

Let me know what you discover when you're breaking the Mk II up, would you? If it looks OK (not obviously perished, or anything), we could sort out a price, perhaps? Cheers.

Mike. :)
Mike_Walsh

Postby Neil » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:29 am

ebay item https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361302302742 or go secondhand choice is yours
Neil v6
Neil
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby jonochap » Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:15 pm

Mike_Walsh wrote:Hi, Ralph. Thanks for the reply.

I've been hearing about some stuff called 'self-amalgamating' tape (apparently it was developed for the Army), which 'fuses' to itself, and anything it's wrapped round.....and it's supposed to be petrol & oil resistant. No idea where you'd get it from though (if it's even available to the general public...)

Mike. :)

Do they mean the self amalgamating tape you use for electrical wiring?? Loads on e bay, various sizes :)
Owner of not so troubled puk :)
jonochap
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby bortaf » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:01 pm

When i did mine on my old Mk2 autosleeper i just bought some rubber fuel pipe from a car spares shop :wink: but it was a straigh run no bends as the A/S had a differant fuel tank to standard (smaller to miss the gas locker).
Self amalamating tape is for wrapping looms not really a perminant repair on a fuel pipe :? it fuel resistant NOT fuel proof, that meens if it's in constant contact it will let it past :shock:
Current fleet
Mk7 transit ambulance
Mk1 tourneo connect
Mk1 Mondeo 1.8 STD
Mk5 fiesta 1.25
Fusion 1.4TDCi
bortaf
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby DodgeRover » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:13 pm

You could probably by some exhaust bends in the correct angles and fasten it together with straight sections of rubber pipe as above?
DodgeRover
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby whitemice » Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:28 am

i repaired the rubber filler tube on my mk2 amby 10 years back with a length of straight rubber hose/tube similar to the type suggested by Neil, bought locally from Walker Rubber, 'twas a bitch to get it on but it's still on there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIaGWURONRU
'' VOTE Kim Jong Unwell.
Mike writ '' a vote for lABOUR is a vote for islam and a conservative vote is a vote for islam and a vote for liberal is a vote for islam. ''
DBVM ''a vote for UKIP is a vote for islam''
whitemice
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Location: normalised heavily chemtrailed cretinous individual just like you

Postby DougT » Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:18 pm

Not sure what diameter you need but you might look at "Car Builder Solutions" website. They have fuel filler hose in various sizes which can be bent to shape a bit. They also have alloy tube and bends but if you can get away with just bending the hose, that would probably be the best.

I've been warned off using stuff like silicone hose because it doesn't like being in constant contact with fuel.

Doug
DougT
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Muttley » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:26 pm

I have several tank hoses, all in good safe useable condition :)
Expert burns receiver.
Bodger Extraordinaire!!
Old Fords never die, however, mine are on life support
Fallen in love/hate with Mk6s
Muttley
MK3 Massive

Return to Mk 1 & 2