*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Replaced the diesel pump, low pressure at the injectors

Transit Mk1 & 2 Forum. All Transits 1965 - 1986

Moderator: Luke

Replaced the diesel pump, low pressure at the injectors

Postby dj-vega » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:16 pm

Hi guys

I have a 1985 mk2 with 2.5 diesel. Its old and abused...but its a awsome van....Before the old diesel pump started leaking it was actually my daily driver...
But the pump needed replacement as the diesel leakage got so bad, the van was not running anymore....so i guess its done its job...so i bought a new one...(or actully it was a used one from a scrapyard...with was removed from the car when a got there)

So took it home after paying alot for it, the car was sitting for a while and then when i installed it today, a did check the timing on all the 3 places so all that is ok, but there is low pressure to the injectors.
There is some kinda bleeding screw at the top of the pump....i unscrew that bolt a bit, and cranked the car....and yes...a lot of diesel came out. So there is diesel in the pump, and pressure in the pump, but really low pressure to the injectors....
My main issue is that the pump has sitting so long that the shop i bought it from was not going to take it back...so i guess im stuck with to defective pumps....unless there is something i have forgotten....I have bleed and bleed all kinds off places...but it seems the problem is low pressure to the injectors...

So if this car is going to do some driving for some more years, i need help to get it running.... any tips?

Thank you so much ;)
dj-vega

Re: Replaced the diesel pump, low pressure at the injectors

Postby DodgeRover » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:27 pm

Will it start and run if you spray something flammable like ether down the air in take whilst cranking it over? It could just be air in the system or the pump could be stuck internally - especially if its been run on veg oil
DodgeRover
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby FredTransit » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:42 pm

Is it the original engine? Factory Mk2s have the Lucas CAV that doesn't need to nbe matched to the injectors. BUT if you have a replacement engine with a Bosch pump the injectors need to match the pump.
A Transit is for life, not just for Christmas. http://www.a2ecommercials.webs.com
My galleries - http://a2ecommercials.webs.com/apps/photos/
FredTransit
Mk2 Trannyist

Postby PF Jones » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:58 pm

dj-vega wrote:Hi guys
A good chance their is air in the system.Slacken all of the injector pipes off and get someone to crank the engine.When it starts injecting on a particular cylinder tighten the injector pipes up while the other person is still cranking the engine.
As the other person said you could put a bit of easy start down the inlet manifold to help the battery a bit. If yours is a lucas pump there is also different numbers and there is one of them that times up on a different pump cylinder so even though you are putting the pegs in to time up it is actually timing up on the wrong pump outlet.I still think it is air in the system though.

If you still have problems contact us
Les
I have a 1985 mk2 with 2.5 diesel. Its old and abused...but its a awsome van....Before the old diesel pump started leaking it was actually my daily driver...
But the pump needed replacement as the diesel leakage got so bad, the van was not running anymore....so i guess its done its job...so i bought a new one...(or actully it was a used one from a scrapyard...with was removed from the car when a got there)

So took it home after paying alot for it, the car was sitting for a while and then when i installed it today, a did check the timing on all the 3 places so all that is ok, but there is low pressure to the injectors.
There is some kinda bleeding screw at the top of the pump....i unscrew that bolt a bit, and cranked the car....and yes...a lot of diesel came out. So there is diesel in the pump, and pressure in the pump, but really low pressure to the injectors....
My main issue is that the pump has sitting so long that the shop i bought it from was not going to take it back...so i guess im stuck with to defective pumps....unless there is something i have forgotten....I have bleed and bleed all kinds off places...but it seems the problem is low pressure to the injectors...

So if this car is going to do some driving for some more years, i need help to get it running.... any tips?

Thank you so much ;)
PF Jones
Registered Trader
Registered Trader

Postby Muttley » Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:47 pm

:)
Expert burns receiver.
Bodger Extraordinaire!!
Old Fords never die, however, mine are on life support
Fallen in love/hate with Mk6s
Muttley