*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Can someone identify my axle

Transit Mk1 & 2 Forum. All Transits 1965 - 1986

Moderator: Luke

Can someone identify my axle

Postby andyjw26 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:16 pm

I don't know if its the original axle it's a twin wheel. I took a rubbing of the tag checked it in negative and got

34006kb not sure if there used to be another digit not sure if the three is correct and the second zero could be an eight.

if anyone knows any info what it is could you tell me what brake cylinders it takes?
andyjw26
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Can someone identify my axle

Postby DougT » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:52 am

I would guess that is the original twin wheel axle as it usually isn't necessary to change it. Essentially the twin wheel axle hasn't changed much over the years. The tag is an indicator but often the tags are left on even if someone has changed the ratio. If you have a 5.14 fitted then that is a good ratio as the only longer ratio for the twin wheel is the 4.63.

The wheel cylinder size depends on the load rating of the van but there were also different cylinders fitted depending on the van build date. The only way to be really sure what you have got is to take off a wheel and hub and measure the bore of the wheel cylinder.

Doug
DougT
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby andyjw26 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:03 am

Cheers. I was told by the previous owner it had been changed at some point it was changed at some point but had my doubts as it seems dim to change it for one which seems to be just as low ratio.
Thought I might have too but as the drive it's parked on is a slope that's something of a pain in the butt :)
andyjw26
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby andyjw26 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:04 pm

arg measured the bore ordered a new wheel cylinder and its different? pistons in the old ones have splits in them new ones don't. new ones thinner overall two. seals are the same though. Can I use the new cylinder or do I need to use the new seals to recondition the old one?
andyjw26
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby DougT » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:14 pm

Not really sure that I understand what you mean by "splits" in the piston and that the new cylinder is "thinner". But it doesn't sound as though you have been supplied with the correct replacement bit.

What was the bore ?

Doug
DougT
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Mk 1 & 2