*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Seat + sleap in MK1, but how.

Transit Mk1 & 2 Forum. All Transits 1965 - 1986

Moderator: Luke

Seat + sleap in MK1, but how.

Postby PaulD » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:18 pm

Dear forum members,

I would like to install a safe 3-person seat (with belts) in the back of our MK1. Now I have two wooden benches along the side of the Ford, without belts. I have seen convertible seat/sleep options but I'm never sure if this will fit in the MK1. Professional companies state that they can install a (expensive) seat, but they cannot guarantee the safety and it will never get officially allowed (in NL).

So I thought I'd buy a second hand seat, but how do I know it will fit on the floor in order to secure the thing.

Does anyone have experience with this matter?

Cheers,
Paul
PaulD

Re: Seat + sleap in MK1, but how.

Postby 1958 harry » Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:35 pm

I have a mk8 Transit double seat in the rear of my Mk2 Firevan. Same floor pan as a mk1 transit.

It's quick release too so fully removeable.

It fits directly in the troughs in the floor. Any mark of Transit seat will fit. Just make sure you fit proper spreader plates, I got the company I bought mine from to include them.

Cotrim in Salisbury was where I got mine, they convert minibuses and have tonnes of 1, 2 and 3 seater mk8 seats for sale, all brand new. Not cheap but nice and safe, probably the safest seats in the van! Lol!

VW Transporter Combi van
VW Beetle 2.0 tintop
Audi Q3 Quattro SLine Plus

Grown up in/around Transits, my dad has a 2010 115 T350 Transit
1958 harry
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Mk 1 & 2