*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

non starting mk1 transit

Transit Mk1 & 2 Forum. All Transits 1965 - 1986

Moderator: Luke

non starting mk1 transit

Postby shane123 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:39 pm

hi I have got a v4 transit 1700 petrol I was just wondering if anybody can HELP !! it will not start its got plenty of spark to the plugs it seems like the plugs leads are on wrong but they aren't I have changed leads distributor cap, starter, contact points I am at my wits end with this motor I have followed the book to the t with no luck any help anyone one can offer is greatly appreciated many thanks :)
shane123

Re: non starting mk1 transit

Postby bulls in transit » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:22 pm

Had similar problem with mine(German V4),after going through everything,spark,fuel,etc,was at wits end,had a garage look,they readjusted valve clearances and it started and ran,problem was initially clearances to get going BUT after a very short time problem reoccured,this time looked into it myself( with advice from forum),after going through everything again it was a valve seat problem(engine at time had done16/17kkm).
As I was advised(well)have you compression tested the engine?
bulls in transit
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby walt1984 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:31 pm

Has it got fuel?
"due to ever increasing work load the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off!"
walt1984
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby walt1984 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:31 pm

walt1984 wrote:Has it got fuel?

I mean to the carb?
"due to ever increasing work load the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off!"
walt1984
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Neil » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:33 pm

fuel pump? pull a pipe of while cranking see if its pumping
Neil v6
Neil
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby bulls in transit » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:34 pm

Mine was also quite fussy with adv/retard on dizzy until fitted accuspark ignition kit
bulls in transit
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby baconsdozen » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:54 pm

Rather than guessing and stabbing in the dark,pulling things to bits etc,why not start from basics.
If it was running OK then presumably it has compression but you could check anyway.
Then,check the timing and make sure you have a spark at the plugs when the engine is being turned on the key. Check for fuel getting to the carb and see if fuel can be seen squirting out when the throttle pedal is pressed.
If all checks out OK then check the firing order is correct (unless you are certain you've not messed the leads about),by taking each plug out,getting the cylinder on the compression stroke and checking the rotor arm is pointing to that lead.
Spark,compression,fuel,all three needed with the spark at the correct time. Simples.
baconsdozen
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Return to Mk 1 & 2