*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

V4 Koln - Distributor rotor damaged

Transit Mk1 & 2 Forum. All Transits 1965 - 1986

Moderator: Luke

V4 Koln - Distributor rotor damaged

Postby Boulli » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:55 am

Dear all,

I had to completely rebuild my V4 1.7 Koln engine because the balance shaft came out of its bearings. Having the engine back in the Transit I cannot get it running well. It runs, but is has hick ups all the time and on low gas it stops.

If found out that the rotor in the distribution cap is scratching, it doesn't feel comfortable to me. But I've no experience what is acceptable?
There is also some backlash on the axel which drives the rotor (0,5mm - 1mm).

Thanks in advance.
Boulli

Re: V4 Koln - Distributor rotor damaged

Postby DougT » Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:45 pm

Have you fitted a new rotor arm during the rebuild ? If so it might be slightly wrong. Try the old one or another new one.

Or perhaps the distributor shaft is bent but I hope not.

The rotor arm certainly should not be scratching anything inside the distributor cap. I suspect that if it is making contact with anything inside the distributor cap then it is affecting the auto advance and causing problems.

I would have thought that the amount of backlash should not be a problem.

Doug
DougT
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: V4 Koln - Distributor rotor damaged

Postby bulls in transit » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:37 am

Had similar problem on my Koln V4,bad tickover etc,found the distributor is the same as fitted to a pinto engine,fitted a rotor and distributor cap from accuspark( fit a lot better than parts I could source elsewhere),also fitted their electric ignition kit.
Vans been a lot smoother starting,running since.
The distributor did feel to have some backlash,but I've had no running problems since fitting accuspark system,before fitting I was having to change/readjust points every 1000km or less,the only parts I could source were intermotor( found these rubbish,slack fitting distributor cap,rotor contact snapping off,etc).
bulls in transit
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Mk 1 & 2