*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk1 front end on an early mk2?

Transit Mk1 & 2 Forum. All Transits 1965 - 1986

Moderator: Luke

Mk1 front end on an early mk2?

Postby Bus1dub » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:33 am

Hi everyone I'm new to this forum, I have an early mk2 1979 T reg with a 2.5di engine fitted, what I'd like to know is would a mk1 bullnose front end fit? I've read before something about the front springs/ spring hangers been longer on the mk2, so would it be possible to fit mk1 springs and hangers?

You're probably wondering why I don't just go out and buy a mk1, well the reason being is my mk2 is an ice cream van that I bought with the intensions of removing the fibreglass body, freezers and soft ice cream machine and putting it all on a mk1 because I know the body would be a direct fit with mk1 and mk2 being the same shape shell, but when looking at the mk2 that I have bought, the inner wings, doors etc are very solid and putting a mk1 front end on the mk2 would save me an incredible amount of work and the thousands of pounds for a doner vehicle.

And before anyone asks (But most of you will probably know) there isn't any Transit mk1 ice cream vans for sale anywhere, they're as rare as hens teeth nowadays.

Thanks for reading any advice would be much appreciated
Mick
Bus1dub

Re: Mk1 front end on an early mk2?

Postby Muttley » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:11 pm

The Mk2 chassis is different (longer) the inner wings are different too. Tons of work involved, stick with the Mk2 :wink:
Expert burns receiver.
Bodger Extraordinaire!!
Old Fords never die, however, mine are on life support
Fallen in love/hate with Mk6s
Muttley
MK3 Massive

Return to Mk 1 & 2