*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Engine compatibility Mk2

Transit Mk1 & 2 Forum. All Transits 1965 - 1986

Moderator: Luke

Engine compatibility Mk2

Postby Paulo Polaroil » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:49 pm

Hello again,

I'm about to buy a Mk2 transit from 1980, but the engine is a 1,6 liter pinto. I may have the opportunity to buy a 2.0 OHC from a 89 Sierra. References are BAG1D, number JS31383. Is it "plug and play" to fit in the Transit ?
Thank you for your answers !
Paulo Polaroil
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Engine compatibility Mk2

Postby DodgeRover » Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:41 pm

If the sierra engine is also a pinto them it should go straight in, you will need a carb for the 2 litre unless you are going to use the injection system from the car.
DodgeRover
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Paulo Polaroil » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:51 pm

Thank you for your answer.

It definitely looks like a Pinto for me, and it seems to have a carb. But what should I plug in those electrical thingy around the carb ? :-)

Paulo Polaroil
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby conrod » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:23 pm

you can't use the Sierra carb, or distributor. They are both connected to an ECU, and the carb on these was quite temperamental even when new, so don't go there! You could probably fit the 1.6 dissy, the advance curve might be a little different, although probably won't make too much difference. Pretty sure the inlet manifold is the same, so find a 2.0 twin choke Weber carb from a 2.0 Cortina, and fit that. The exhaust manifold is a bit different too, but you can fit the 1.6 one onto this engine. Should be a real easy swap.
conrod
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Paulo Polaroil » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:24 am

conrod wrote:you can't use the Sierra carb, or distributor. They are both connected to an ECU, and the carb on these was quite temperamental even when new, so don't go there! You could probably fit the 1.6 dissy, the advance curve might be a little different, although probably won't make too much difference. Pretty sure the inlet manifold is the same, so find a 2.0 twin choke Weber carb from a 2.0 Cortina, and fit that. The exhaust manifold is a bit different too, but you can fit the 1.6 one onto this engine. Should be a real easy swap.

Thanks Conrod for your answer. I'll get rid of the Sierra carb, and find a Weber. But, Cortinas have never been imported in my country (France), do you know under which bonnet I can find this carb ? Taunus ? Capri ?
Paulo Polaroil
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby conrod » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:38 pm

Capri 2.0 should have this carb (Pinto engine, not Cologne!) I don't know much about the Taunus though, we never had these in NZ.
conrod
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby DodgeRover » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:46 pm

That's wierd I'm sure by '89 all the uk sierras were EFI, I don't ever remember seeing the electrical connections to the carb before.

99.9% certain your 1.6 inlet manifold and carb would fit as a temporary measure, did the Taunus come with a 2l pinto? If it did them the inlet and carb from one of those should work.
DodgeRover
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby conrod » Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:22 am

DodgeRover wrote:That's wierd I'm sure by '89 all the uk sierras were EFI, I don't ever remember seeing the electrical connections to the carb before.

99.9% certain your 1.6 inlet manifold and carb would fit as a temporary measure, did the Taunus come with a 2l pinto? If it did them the inlet and carb from one of those should work.

I think you are right, Pinto was phased out in 88 or 89 for DOHC L4 engine, either in carbed or injected form. The electrical connector is for a stepper motor that controls the idle stop. You possibly could use this carb by making or midifying it so thst it has a manual stop. Other connectors are ign +12v to the electric choke, as well as the idle solenoid.
conrod
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby sleepy » Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:16 pm

I'd go for a weber 32/36 DGV or if you want auto choke 32/36 DGAV but you may need a different inlet manifold.
what carb is on 1.6
sleepy
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Mk 1 & 2