*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Transit MK2 / specific question about parts

Transit Mk1 & 2 Forum. All Transits 1965 - 1986

Moderator: Luke

Re: Transit MK2 / specific question about parts

Postby Hamsta » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:36 am

Either that or anyone in the south east at all experience in welding classic vans who can do me a decent price? Can get some more pics up later.
Hamsta
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby DodgeRover » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:24 am

Give Mutley a call about the welding. Isn't the back body mainly aluminium though?

Edit posting at 4:30 in the morning that's dedication, hope you weren't ripping the insides out at that time:)
DodgeRover
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby vana mana » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:06 pm

Hi
I've had 3 of these welfare buses, I used to have lots of spares but unfortunately most have gone now
If you need any questions answering give me a shout
I have even stripped and re bodied a welfare bus to a van
vana mana
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Hamsta » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:55 pm

DodgeRover wrote:Give Mutley a call about the welding. Isn't the back body mainly aluminium though?

Edit posting at 4:30 in the morning that's dedication, hope you weren't ripping the insides out at that time:)

Haha no don't worry no ripping out at 4AM! I save that for 8AM the next morning :D
Hamsta
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Hamsta » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:59 pm

vana mana wrote:Hi
I've had 3 of these welfare buses, I used to have lots of spares but unfortunately most have gone now
If you need any questions answering give me a shout
I have even stripped and re bodied a welfare bus to a van

Heya mate I really appreciate that! At the minute myself and a welder I found have been basically restoring it from the bottom up. So far he has replaced 2 side panels on the back, put in a new wheel arch / mud guard and a few other bits. I've been grinding down the chassis and repriming and painting it, and just treating as much rust as possible!

The ninny who owned it previously put a zinc roof rack on top and then fitted it using untreated (or not very well treated) steel brackets, so that has been a major cause of the rust. Entire roof rack to come up and gonna repair any holes with fibreglass patches.

The windscreen is leaking, not loads but small puddles collect at certain points. Net suggest sikaflex or something similar run around the rubber sealing - is this the way to go.

Temp and fuel gauge broken. Ralph suggested this might be a transitor / voltage relay problem in the dash - I've got a spare which I haven't got round to plugging in to diagnose whether that is the problem.

Will definitely hit you up for some advise at some point!
Hamsta
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Previous

Return to Mk 1 & 2