*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

New Tensioner walking cambelt off pulleys.

Transit Mk1 & 2 Forum. All Transits 1965 - 1986

Moderator: Luke

New Tensioner walking cambelt off pulleys.

Postby 1958 harry » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:46 am

I replaced the Cambelt on my 2.0 Pinto Firevan the other day. Had a weird issue though, ordered a new tensioner with it from Burtons and with the new tensioner it was walking the belt off the pulleys, to the point it almost came off.

Refitted the original Ford Tensioner and all is fine.

Id like to change the tensioner as the old one is a bit rough, can I still get a genuine Ford one anywhere?

Checked them side by side and no discernable difference so a bit stumped as to why it would do this?

Any ideas?
VW Transporter Combi van
VW Beetle 2.0 tintop
Audi Q3 Quattro SLine Plus

Grown up in/around Transits, my dad has a 2010 115 T350 Transit
1958 harry
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: New Tensioner walking cambelt off pulleys.

Postby DougT » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:32 pm

For some reason, the tensioner is not running true and is putting more pressure on one edge of the belt than the other. The normal way to check the alignment is with a steel rule across the pulleys to try and spot how it is out. It could be the shaft running at a slight angle or possibly even the tensioner being very slightly tapered.

As you have gone back to the original and all is fine it would certainly seem to be a manufacturing fault with the tensioner itself so I would return it to Burtons and complain.

Doug
DougT
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: New Tensioner walking cambelt off pulleys.

Postby baconsdozen » Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:38 pm

Agreed,it has to be that for some reason the new pulley is at a slight angle. If its fitted correctly it has to be faulty,especially as the old one works OK.
baconsdozen
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Return to Mk 1 & 2