*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk 1 rust areas ??

Transit Mk1 & 2 Forum. All Transits 1965 - 1986

Moderator: Luke

Mk 1 rust areas ??

Postby Mk1 Pano » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:43 am

Hi Guys..new here so please be patient
I am looking at buying my first transit..found a Mk 1 I like. Long wheel base dually. Wondering on standard rust spots apart from th obvious roofline and doors? are there any other spots like chassis rails, spring hangers and so on. It might have had some previous repairs so would like some advice on where the filler might be.

Also wondering how hard it is to find a replacment diff, for highway and what stud pattern the wheels would be... 6 stud 14"
thanx in advance

Have gotten lost in this forum for several hours now and have picked up a lot of information already but can't seem to find this stuff..to basic?

thanx Max
Mk1 Pano

Re: Mk 1 rust areas ??

Postby Neil » Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:59 pm

front crossmember,, front spring hangers, suspension mounts under the wings,, screen surround pending where its lived
Neil v6
Neil
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby bulls in transit » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:39 pm

Rear quarters(inner and outer),rear valance,floors at edges,front steps and sills,front wings under headlamp bowls/join favorite for filler.
Windscreen rubbers leak(as mentioned),so check cab floor,inner wing joins,bulkhead,
Wheel stud pattern is unique to Transit 6stud(think later Iveco rim fit,bigger dia).
Best std ratio axle is 4.63 on mk1/2 twins.Getting better than that is fabrication/swap time.
bulls in transit
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby MinorMatt » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:00 am

6 x 170mm
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

95 M Prototype/Mule DRW 100PS Highcube
93 L GL Minibus
96 P 150 TD 100PS LWB Hi-Top

Gaffa tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Mk1 Pano » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:59 am

Thanx for the replies...checked most of those area except for headlight buckets and crossmember mountings for rust..has quite a bit of oil under it so hopefully has preserved of a bit. Has apparently lived mostly undercover, but is currently outside and one of the reasons the owner wants to sell it...it's deteriorating. The rear doors are a bit rough and the panel at the edge of the floor at the bottom of the rear doors previously had a poor repair. Also the rear wheel arches are pretty beaten up.
Been searching for a few parts and realising how difficult parts are to find.
anyway..thanx again for your input
Mk1 Pano

Postby baconsdozen » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:19 am

I've had my MK1 for fifteen years the only bits I've found that don't rust are the tyres.
baconsdozen
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Return to Mk 1 & 2