*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

mk1, parts and engine identification

Transit Mk1 & 2 Forum. All Transits 1965 - 1986

Moderator: Luke

Re: mk1, parts and engine identification

Postby Muttley » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:57 pm

Some 90's Di had the epic system, they can be modified to manual pump though :wink:
Expert burns receiver.
Bodger Extraordinaire!!
Old Fords never die, however, mine are on life support
Fallen in love/hate with Mk6s
Muttley
MK3 Massive

Postby Johny89 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:41 pm

might be a question against the advice, been looking and since i will be using the york for a few years (just untill i get the place to work on an engine swap, and find an engine) would it be worth rebuilding it or should i just think about a big maintenance.
since its my first diesel: what should i do to it: it has 2 current problems: smokes alot an has a bad to none cold start...
it has the intake manifold heater plug but last time i used it i heard a plop and still can't get the engine to run...(even with brake cleaner sprayed into it, i'm out of start pilot)
Johny89
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby ricc » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:16 pm

the york diesel had a reputation for bad cold starting , neighbour of ours had one for a while. always used easystart, always smoked,

my year 2000 mk 5 is one of the last 2,5 di engines , its got some sort of pats immobiliser, which as far as can find out just affects the starter and stop solenoid electrics.

the turbo di had a lucas epic injection pump with electronics. lot of people have fitted the bosch pump from the normal di to get shot of the electronics.

mk 6 onwards have all the electronic crap on the engines.
ricc
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Previous

Return to Mk 1 & 2