*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Transit 1.7 Cologne engine set up

Transit Mk1 & 2 Forum. All Transits 1965 - 1986

Moderator: Luke

Transit 1.7 Cologne engine set up

Postby mntranny » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:26 pm

Hi,
This is my first post since joining the forum and would appreciate some help and guidance on the 1973 Ford Transit Mk1 Cologne engine fitted with the FoMoCo carb.
I live in the USA and seem to have what appears the only Mk 1 Transit here.

I bought the Transit about six months ago and it had been sitting or several years. The engine has been rebuilt and had been modified to run on unleaded by the previous owner, but little mileage had been done since as it was part of his collection.

I have drained the fuel tank, replaced the fuel filter and also cleaned out the carb.
It will start, but you have to pump the accelerator 11-15 times, and then it will run.

I set the exhaust and inlet values at .35mm/0.40mm.

I have replaced the distributor cap, points and rotor arm. Changed the oil and filter, oil was completely black.

The truck still lacks power and tickover is varying. I also note if I remove the oil filler cap, some air pressure coming out.

I have a Haynes manual for the MK1 Transit, but I believe it only covers the Essex V4 and not the Cologne engine.

So here are my questions.

1) Can you confirm the firing order on the V4 Cologne engine?
2) What is the best way to set the timing on this engine and what should the timing be?
3)Should I be worried about the air pressure coming out of the oil filler cap, and what could cause this? I plan to do a compression test just in case.

Your recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks
Dave
mntranny

Re: Transit 1.7 Cologne engine set up

Postby bulls in transit » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:35 pm

Hi,1 firing order 1.3.4.2(iirc its on inlet manifold,visible when air cleaner removed)
2 static timing 6 ' BTDC(crank rotates clockwise,there's a notch on pulley and timing marks on front case).
TBH I found it easier to set timing by just adj distributor with engine warm after setting it correct static running,when it picks up well when you throttle it you there near as dammit,drive it if it pinks under load in higher gears back off advance on dist. A bit.
In relation to driving most things there pretty gutless as standard,even when 100%,especially with the standard fire truck axle ratio of 5:87,drive one and your license is safe.
Found mine likes a slightly richer mixture than the factory 1.5 turns out from all the way in on mixture screw(underneath acc.pump on carb)
Oil should be 10/30 mineral oil unless over 35',then 20/50,The oil pump is not the engines best feature(kits are available to upgrade),it runs off of engines balance shaft,thick oil puts stain on shafts bearings,as does running fan belt too tight.
Have a read of Mk1 Transit V4 cologne workshop manual thread,few posts before yours.
Cologne engine was also used in Saab 96s/Sonnetts,stateside you've got a guru for these engines at:- www.Subrew.com
bulls in transit
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby bulls in transit » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:43 pm

For link try subrew.com/jackashcraft
bulls in transit
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby mntranny » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:30 pm

Thanks for the advise on the engine set up, it now runs smoothly.
I have noticed though a ticking sound, that disappears when I remove the spark plug lead from the rear left cylinder on the V4 1.7 engine.
I replaced the spark plug lead and spark plug, and triple checked the valve settings, but the problem persists.
The compression check on the cylinder is the same as the other cylinders, even when left for 15 minutes.

It seems to disappear when the engine is completely warm, any thoughts on whether I should worry about this and what the cause should be?

Thanks

Dave
mntranny

Return to Mk 1 & 2