*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Engine knocking at idle

Transit Mk1 & 2 Forum. All Transits 1965 - 1986

Moderator: Luke

Engine knocking at idle

Postby paulboyce » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:43 am

Hi long time no see, my Roadranger is still going strong and I have recently had the engine reconditioned 2000 Essex V4 and I've done about 2500 miles since then. The only thing that concerns me is this knocking noise at low revs, it smooths out as soon as revs increase and runs well. The company who did it tell me it's the alloy timing gear but I'm not so sure, any ideas as it's still under their warranty.
Cheers Paul
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
paulboyce
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Engine knocking at idle

Postby baconsdozen » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:00 am

The alloy timing gears (which are a modification,the original gear being fibre) should not knock.They are noisier than the original but that is normally a loud whine. Any slack in the gears to cam or balance shaft could cause a knock if the idle is erratic but I'd have thought they would have to be badly worn or damaged for any noise to be noticeable.
The V4 can develop piston slap at low revs (this becomes less noticeable as the engine warms).It can get quite noisy but will run like it for years.
We have to assume that if the engine was reconned it was also rebored,or ridge dodger top tings were fitted.
The engine isn't the quietest or smoothest in the world even brand new,any knock though is a symptom of something wrong,I'd be tempted to take it back and ask them to have a listen.
baconsdozen
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby truckdoctor » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:53 pm

paulboyce wrote:Hi long time no see, my Roadranger is still going strong and I have recently had the engine reconditioned 2000 Essex V4 and I've done about 2500 miles since then. The only thing that concerns me is this knocking noise at low revs, it smooths out as soon as revs increase and runs well. The company who did it tell me it's the alloy timing gear but I'm not so sure, any ideas as it's still under their warranty.
Cheers Paul

Hi and sorry to here of your problems, I have come across erratic nocking noises from various engines as you describe in the past and have proved to be loose crankshaft pulley and loose flywheel As mentioned, being under warranty I also would return the vehicle for inspection. Good luck and hope you get it fixed.
truckdoctor
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby lewman » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:16 am

i had the same on a 2.8 v6 and it came down to worn camshaft bearings
lewman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby baconsdozen » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:48 am

Knocking needs investigating as it will probably only get worse.I'd take it back to the people who rebuilt it before its out of warranty.
baconsdozen
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby paulboyce » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:51 pm

Cheers guys thanks for your advice
paulboyce
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby paulboyce » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:36 pm

Took van back to engineers, they're telling me its the alloy timing gear so I've ordered a fibre one and they're going to fit it. Btw knocking worse as the engine gets up to temperature, we shall see. Will keep you all posted.
paulboyce
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby DodgeRover » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:27 pm

I can imagine how a timing gear could make a knocking noise unless it was damaged.
DodgeRover
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby baconsdozen » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:22 am

Will be interested to hear how it goes.I thought the fibre gears were long obsolete by now.
I would have thought the only time a timing wheel would knock is if it had a tooth badly damaged.
baconsdozen
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby DodgeRover » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:48 pm

Sorry had fat fingers in the above post "can" should have been "can't"
DodgeRover
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby paulboyce » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:47 pm

baconsdozen wrote:Will be interested to hear how it goes.I thought the fibre gears were long obsolete by now.
I would have thought the only time a timing wheel would knock is if it had a tooth badly damaged.

Brought it from Motomobil in Germany, lots of transit spares.
paulboyce
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby baconsdozen » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:16 am

Handy to know,I thought they mainly carried mechanical stuff for the Cologne engine versions.
baconsdozen
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Return to Mk 1 & 2