*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

replacing my pinto

Transit Mk1 & 2 Forum. All Transits 1965 - 1986

Moderator: Luke

replacing my pinto

Postby manikki » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:35 pm

I think I have just cooked my pinto engine. I have a mk 2 long wheel base with big box back. Have always had problems with overheating up big hills. Had radiator expanded a couple of years ago audit helped but my temp gauge was intermittently not working and I think it overheated. have gas conversion but was on petrol on the day of tragedy. Going along motorway after some big hills and went bang and bad noise. Pulled over. Oil sprayed all over the place one distributor side of engine. Easyist thing to do would be to replacewith a similar reconditioned engine. if I am going to all that trouble and expense, is it the best thing to do. My son has suggested changing to bigger engine. Any suggestions
?
manikki

Re: replacing my pinto

Postby jonochap » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:05 pm

Personally I like a petrol engine...Zetec may be worth a look, if you're not worried there's some good things about an Isuzu. I have faith in pintos but trying to get one you can trust is expensive and there's always a banana, they seem to go on forever. There's always a v6 too...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Owner of not so troubled puk :)
jonochap
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Re: replacing my pinto

Postby DodgeRover » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:07 pm

What country are you in? Some make putting a different engine in difficult.

A 2l pinto is always going to be working hard in a LWB, the modern 2l Zetec is supposed to be much torquier as standard but you will need to sort out ignition and convert to a carb unless you keep the injection system. As standard they don't like lpg either you 100% need to run flashlube or burn valves in short order.

A factory fit V6 was an option, you may find one in an old ambulance.
DodgeRover
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Return to Mk 1 & 2